When high winds, hail, floods or tornadoes hit the Dallas area, the storms leave behind downed trees and branches; damaged roofs, homes, and business; and damaged vehicles.
To help consumers select storm clean up and repair services, BBB Serving Dallas and Northeast Texas offers these tips:
- Make any temporary repairs that are needed and save receipts. Check with your insurance company about policy coverage and how to file a claim.
- Don't be pressured into making an immediate decision with a long-term impact. Be pro-active in selecting a business and not re-active to sales solicitations.
- For major repairs, take time to shop around and get 3-4 estimates based on the same specifications and materials.
- Check out businesses with BBB at www.bbb.org. BBB Business Reviews show contact information, complaint details (if any) and the BBB Rating. For lists of BBB Accredited Business by type of business such as roofing contractors, windshield repair or tree services, see the BBB Accredited Business Directory.
- Be wary of door-to-door solicitations from home repair businesses. See BBB tips on avoiding scams at
- Require a written contract agreement with anyone you hire. Be sure their name, address, license number, if applicable, and phone number are included in the contract.
- Read and understand the contract in its entirety, and don’t sign a blank contract. You should get a copy of the signed contract at the time you sign.
- Make sure to read the fine print. For example, some roofing contracts call for substantial cancellation fees or liquidation damages if the homeowner decides not to use the contractor after insurance approval of the claim. If an estimate or contract is confusing, ask the contractor to break it down into items/terms you can understand.
To check out businesses, get lists of BBB Accredited Businesses by category in your area, and for timely itps and alerts, start at www.bbb.org.