Russell Pajestka Co.

12/23/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I contracted with Russell Pajestka Co. to replace my roof. The job they did on July 23, 2013 is horrible.
The day the roof was being repaired, one of my neighbors, a contractor himself, confronted the workers that they were not "doing it right". I was called at work by two of my neighbors, came home, talked to *** ******* from the company who assured me that he had come by and told the workers to "do it right and it was being handled". My contractor neighbor also stopped by and showed me what they had been doing and noted that they were at that point "doing an okay job then". Two of my neighbors informed me that the felt was being placed over the old felt and "this is wrong". *** stated they did it that way and "I now had a double layer of protection". The job was finished that day, and *** told me the waves in the roof would "settle down and lay flat later". I have no knowledge of how a roof is to be installed and, sorry for my ignorance, I took *** at his word. I have pictures of this roof taken a few weeks later showing waves, loose shingles, overlapping and old flashings, and I sent copies of these pictures to the company on the 18th of August asking for a response from the owner, not ***, (as I believe he lies to me), and to date, I have heard nothing from anyone. I have informed them that I am very displeased and want them to make this roof repair right. They have not responded, have not asked for the final payment and I have told them in my letter that I would not pay the balance - they have done nothing to follow up with my concerns and correspondence. They have $4,310. from me given to *** on the 24th of July, and that was the day he told me the shingles would lay down later. He came by the following day as he had misplaced his sunglasses and I told him then that I was not happy and pointed out a couple of spots to him and he said "but we are the best in town". I do not want to talk to him any more as he lies, and he does not listen to the customer or try to make it right - maybe he thinks that, since I am an older person (69), he can appease me with this type of behavior. I do want the company to make things right, and that would be to replace the roof, I think. I will go about this through the means of giving them a chance, but this is wrong and I do want to my roof repaired. I will be happy to send copies of my pictures to verify the condition of the roof. It looks like the entire roof is wavy and bumpy - one could get sea sick just looking at it, and, in my case, I just want to throw up.

I want the roof re-roofed, if there is such a word, or I want my payment back - which was the first installment from the insurance company. I have support from both my neighbors, and pictures which cannot be disputed. I cannot believe this company would want this job to be representative of the work they do. I would hope they would want to fix this situation so they can say they are the best in town.

Yes, we roofed ***** ******'s roof on July 23, 2013 and it is a common practice to install a new layer of felt over existing felt for additional protection & R-value. And it is common and normal for a roof to be bumpy/wavy after installation of a new roof and with normal heating from sun, which normally takes 2-3 months for the roof to seal & lay down. The roof will lay mirroring the roof structure, if the roof wood structure has waves & humps the roof will mirror the structure. Which Russell Pajestka Company Authorized Agent *** ******* explained to Ms. ******.
Under or 5 year Labor Warranty we will be happy to repair or replace as needed, but per Warranty on back of contract (#5 states: The contractor shall revoke labor warranty if Contract is not paid in full.)
Our contract with ***** ****** requires full payment of $ 7,801.38 upon completion of roof, which an amount of $ 3,490.53 is still outstanding. Therefore, voiding warranty until paid in full.

I must dispute their statement that it is common practice to put another roll of felt over existing felt as I have been observing the installation of many roofs in my neighborhood and in no instance was felt placed over existing felt. I will be canvasing several companies to get factual information on this practice if indeed it is a "common practice", however, in observing at least 8 recent roof installation, this was NOT a common practice. My neighbor just had her roof redone totally and this was NOT a common practice, therefore her roof is wonderful looking. Their house did have a sagging area, and indeed the shingles do mirror that spot, however, there are no waves and bumps. Before RPC Roofing company installed their version of a "best in the area" roofing job, my roof was smooth although declared totaled as so much of the shingles composition had been washed off. I was surprised when the adjuster informed me that I would have an insurance claim, as I could see a roof that looked pretty good. Now it looks like the felt and shingles were placed over a scattered bag of oranges! Big bumps all over the roof!! And it has been 2 months and there is no "normal sealing and laying down" nor will it be probable that in another month this will happen. I am asking for the pictures from the insurance company adjuster that will prove there was no roof structure problems that would cause these waves and humps. I am trying to determine if their response to my complaint is saying that, if the final payment is made, they would "repair or replace as needed". I would need to hear and see that this is what they are saying, or if they would say "See ya around". And another point of rebuttal - my copy of the contract indicates that I was given customer credit of $1380 thus reducing the cost of the roof repair to a total of $6,421.38 not $7,801.38 which is the amount that they billed the insurance company. I have always paid my debt for any service and would do so to them if they "repaired or replaced as needed". Oh, by the way, Mr. *** ******* never said to me that the new roof may take 2-3 months to "lay down", he just said the shingles would lay down as soon as the "sun hit it". I do believe it was around 100 degrees at that time and continued to be VERY HOT for the next several weeks and it has not happened!! Again I have pictures that will prove the current condition of this roof that I will be happy to share with anyone.

Roofing Contractors, Roof Repairs, Roofing Service Consultants, Painting Contractors, Siding Contractors, Gutters & Downspouts, Contractor - Insulation