BBB Accredited Business since 09/06/2002

Southern Painting of Dallas

02/03/2016Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

The team providing paint services were not professionals as advertised. As a result, 3 days into the project, many problems were encountered.
The team assisting in painting consisted of a husband and wife who complained that this wasn't their type of work and that they were doing a favor for a family member. Due to bringing unqualified employees, the following issues arose.

1) Everything was done in an improper order: ceiling cut-ins were not completed first (not completed at all by day 3) so brush marks would show; drywall patching was done AFTER the walls were painted (I was repeatedly told this would be the first thing done since it needs to dry); nail holes and dents were not filled prior to painting as promised; water based paint was used on top of oil-based enamel and is already flaking off from the doors and door trim; many bits of roller shag embedded into painted walls. The upstairs cabinet paint job is shoddy with rough surfaces and bad coverage (entirely unpainted areas inside the cabinets).

2) Since the work was going extremely slow, the service "professionals" added enormous amounts of paint thinner to paint which is advertised as VOC free. This was done to prolong the life of paint sitting in open containers. The instructions on the paint can is to use water NOT PAINT THINNER. The air in my home was un-breathable for several days and burned the eyes and hurt to breathe. My home was an unhealthy place to be on Christmas eve so I had to find a place to stay with my daughter for 2 nights (see below for other health hazards including razor blades left around).

3) Ceiling over-spray turned my white crown molding beige. Crown molding wasn't part of the contract, and I'll now have to have it painted.

4) On day 3 of a 3-day job, it was clear that the work was extremely far behind. The supervisor left abruptly on Christmas eve (day three of the job when I was promised the work would be completed), leaving me with a wrecked home.

Wrecked home details:
- Razor blades, nails, and screws left laying around (the floor underneath is wood) - this resulted in a large amount of scratches and dents in my flooring and made my home hazardous to my three year old daughter.
- Bags of drywall joint compound and piles of trash including large droppings of wet drywall mix and crushed drywall littering the main hallway, tracking it everywhere. The amount of drywall trash that was being walked over has resulted in drywall compound (a very fine dust) penetrating deeply into my furniture and the air is extremely dusty. After several days of cleaning I'm still unable to contain the dust.
- Furniture blocking hallways and haphazardly dragged across unprotected wood floor leaving many scratches.
- Paint splashes on newly painted cabinets (work done by another company prior).
- Wet drywall mix dropped onto pristine wood floors.

When I called the owner Christmas day, he said he would come and look 3 days later - leaving my home in a wreck for 7 days. When he arrived on day 7 since the work started, he demanded 75% of the money to be paid up front in order to continue to job. This was on day 7 since the work started. The contract is clear that money isn't to be paid until work is complete so I refused and he refused to continue. The owner also stated that he doesn't clean up on any jobs so my job isn't different. If that's true, this man needs to lose his accreditation as the lack of cleanup has caused major dust issues. I'll be cleaning this very fine dust for months. He also didn't see an issue about razor blades left in easy reach of my child.

I've since obtained estimates from painting companies who have all informed me that everything must be repainted to hide the problems. There isn't a single item which his crew completed which won't need to be repainted.

Joint compound has penetrated deeply into my velvet sofa. Me and my child cannot use this sofa and it is likely ruined.

Joint compound is everywhere in my home after an attempted cleaning. My home needs to be professionally cleaned. Sweeping kicks up dust and I cannot afford to breathe more of this into my lungs since there's too much in the air already. I only hope that breathing this fine dust doesn't cause lung problems later.

The scratches and damage from wet drywall mud on my wood floors need to be fixed.

I need reimbursement to the paint damage on my cabinets (kitchen cabinets were professionally painted a week prior by another company so they were in pristine condition). I paid $100 to have the issues fixed and a receipt can be provided.

"Mr. ****** is allowing Southern Painting back into his home to bring it to the Standards that Southern Painting has been providing to their customers for the past 25 years."

Until we can get back in there next week, this is all that can be done at this point. Once we see that he is happy with the job and is satisfied, we will approach him to remove the BBB complaint with our office and Southern Painting.

A resolution was provided by a different Southern painting franchise. The franchise in question - Southern Painting of Dallas - should not have an A+ rating as they did not provide a resolution. Continuing their rating as if they have not had any complaints will give a false sense to consumers.

As Southern Painting has different offices, Southern Painting is 1 company as a whole. Whenever an office has a dispute, our company as a whole will get together to do whatever we can to make their job and their service to their satisfaction. Southern Painting of Dallas did provide a resolution by having another member of our company to provide the service that the customer was expecting.

Painting Contractors, Painting - Faux Finishing