Edwin's General Home Improvement

05/09/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Edwin was hired to install prehung doors inside home. Upon removing door trim to replace the trim I found that the doors were not properly secured.
Edwin's crew completed installation of 3 doors inside home and some shelving in two closets on 6/6/2013 and was paid by check $1,500. On 8/18/2013 I removed door trim from one of the doors to replace it because there was an excessive number of nail holes in the trim. Upon removing the trim I found that the doors casing was not properly secured to the studs. On the left side there was a nearly 2 inch gap from the casing to the stud (top to bottom),and the casing was only secured with 1 screw thru the center hole in the top door hinge. The right side was also secured with only 1 screw thru the top hinge. The door was unstable because the entire door was secured with only 1 screw on each side. I immediately called Edwin to discuss my dissatisfaction. He asked if I had problems with the door before removing the trim. I said I did not have a problem with the operation of the door. He told me that the door trim is what hold everything into place, and if I had a problem with the door he would come out and look at it, but since I removed the trim he was not going to do anything. I told him the door should be secured to the studs with more than just one screw on each side, and told him they should have used shims, at the minimum. I did take some photos of the door. I removed the trim from another door he installed and found all the same building methods. Additionally, neither door has a proper header, and each door has a gap between the top of the casing and the header and is not secured at the top, though I did not discuss this with him. I have not yet removed any trim from the third door, though I now know what to expect. On the day of completion we asked Edwin to provide an invoice for the work. As of today, we still have not received an invoice.

I paid by check a total of $1,500 for materials and labor. We asked for an invoice, but as of today we still have not received one. I have an idea of what the two prehung doors cost since I priced them out before hiring the work out. I would estimate cost of materials $500 to $700. I feel the remaining labor cost is not justified since I am going to have to build out an appropriate rough opening for the doors or hire someone else to do it.

Edwin Villatoro "Owner"

I'm responding to a complaint dated 8/21/13 for " P. *********". The customer has been satisfied.

Edwin Villatoro "Owner"

I disagree with Edwin's response. He has not contacted me to resolve the matter. I am in no way satisfied with his work and would not recommend him to anyone.

Kitchen & Bath - Design & Remodeling, Remodeling Services, Bathroom Remodeling, Construction & Remodeling Services, Contractor - Remodel & Repair, Kitchen Remodeling