BBB Accredited Business since 04/26/2001

Billy Jack Sprinkler Company

10/31/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

He did not fix my sprinkler system. Stole my money.
Billy Jacks Sprinkler came to my house on the 5th of Sept around 11:00 am. I found the company via an advertisement l recived in the mail. It was promoting a forty dollar backflow test. It being that time of the year and the #2 vavle on my sprinkler system going out about twinty days earlier l set up the appt. This was the fourth time in the nine years that i have lived here that a vavle had gone bad. All of the other times before no big deal, on all other prior repairs one tech would show up and in no more than one hour tops, the problem would be sloved. Now back to Billy Jacks. Like I stated previously they started, they meaning the three men that showed up, around 11:00am. I thought three guys this should be fast. Billy jack shows up shortly after to preform the backflow test. Right of the bat he ask who did my sprinkler system. I said I had no idea. He stated they did a shity job. Saying the low voltage wire was not standard. I said ok i just need the vavle fixed. Then we went to the double check vavle. Same thing here, he states my double check is bad because someone has replaced the shutoff vavle. Now like i stated previously I've lived here nine years not once has this ever been said by any of the prior techs who had tested my double check. He then said it should be replaced. Knowing how important this is to the health and welfare of my family. I asked how much He then said he would preform this for 140.00 backflow test included. I said ok fix it. I thought to myself, nine years its a good idea. I then go back in the house. Around three o'clock theirs a knock on my garge door. Its billy jack to say they where done. We went to the control station to test it. The system check did'nt go to smoth. He had his workers running around like chickens with there heads cut off. After about twinty mins of this he stated he had some where eles to be and he would call me sunday to set up a time to come finish the job. Having other things to do i said ok. I should'nt have paid him when he gave me the bill, but i did. So they left. I was leaving to meet my wife and some friends for dinner, on my way to my car I cycled the system on the way out of the garge and left. We got home around 8:30 p.m. To find station three still running. I went in the house and put a stop payment on the check. I recived no call from billy jack on sunday. Monday morning around 9:00 he calls to set a time to return. I then inform him about the check being stopped and that i would pay him for the double check vavle and backflow test. But i would take my chances with someone eles to fix the sprinkler system. Told him he could come and get the check. Then hung up. Apparently this was not good enough for billy jack because he took the check to a check cashing store. I know this because i recived a letter form. The check store in Garland. This is no way to do business.

I'll pay billy jack for the work he did. 150.00 for the double check, and 40.00 for the back flow test. But the other 432.69. He in no way shape form or fashion earned. I'll try to find someone i can trust to fix the sprinklers.

As far as settling the dispute with the customer through the BBB there is nothing to settle. He canceled his check and he hasn't been out any money. I have been out parts, time and labor. So I am not sure what the customer wants us to do now. Furthermore, I called him that Monday evening to go talk with him personally. No response from him. I called back and left a voicemail on his cell phone he never called me back. Very hard to settle a dispute when the customer won't answer your calls or call back. There are so many things in this complaint that aren't true it's hard to know where to start. This sprinkler had more issues than the customer had suggested on the initial call. Whether he was aware of this or not I do not know, but I pointed everything out to him as we went along. First off, the sprinkler was put in with small, thin telephone wire (not code for sprinkler wiring) also, I informed the owner that his controller was not working properly and was on the brink of going out because it was not taking any programming . He said he only did it manually and didn't need it to work automatically. I was called to perform a backflow test and repair a valve. The sprinkler was installed so poorly that there was no way the valve was the only thing wrong. I went to do the backflow test while my guys were working on the valve and it was in such a terrible state that it wouldn't pass the test and it was leaking. I cannot pass a device if it is not passable. That's the law. I try very hard to pass all the devices I test, but this one wouldn't so it had to be replaced. Out of 150+ tests I perform per year only about 2 don't pass. It's not like I try to make money off this. I normally charge $150 for the double-check device, but discounted it $100. The customer was outside with us looking at everything with me a lot of the time. He was aware of the situation the whole time. We did NOT do a lot of work and then surprised him with a bill at the end. He was informed all along. My guys and I were there for a total of 6 hours. I only charged him for 3 hours and instead of the normal $125 I charge when I have 3 guys working I only charged him $95. I had no way of knowing the customer had canceled the check (this is illegal by the way obviously customer doesn't know this even though he threatened me with the THREE lawyers he has in his family). I cashed the check on Friday at the check store (I did all work on Thursday). When I called him Monday morning it was a surprise to me what he was saying. Thursday afternoon we walked through the repairs we had done with the homeowner and zones 4-10 did not function. This was a totally separate from zone #2 valve not shutting off, replacing backflow and the backflow test. I again looked at the wiring on the controller and found the ground wire not making good connection. I then re-spliced the thin wire and connected it to the terminal. We tested it multiple times with the homeowner present and everything worked perfectly with the exception of zone #10. Again, a totally separate issue from what we had repaired. This was a problem with the illegal telephone wire that had been used. At that point it was 5:00 and I asked him if we could come back the next day because it would take some time to trace out the wiring. I had asked if we could come Friday morning, but he said no because he wouldn't be there and it would have to be Monday morning. When I called him Monday morning so that we could go back over there that is when he informed me that he had canceled the check. I told him multiple times on Monday morning that I would come back at no charge and get the sprinkler working, but he continually refused. The customer made this a legal matter by canceling the check with the check store. It's out of my hands at this point. The check store is in the process of recovering their money from him. I cannot stop them from doing that because he didn't respond to their demand letter of 10 days. I even called him on the 10th day which was Monday to attempt to resolve it so it wouldn't go any further and he said to me (this is a direct quote from the customer), "You suck, your company sucks, get over it and we'll let the chips fall where they may." And he hung up on me. At this point, I've gone way over and above what was necessary by calling him and trying to work it out with him. He chose to try to trash my business and try to ruin my reputation (which won't happen because I do excellent work and I have 3 pages of references to prove it. One person will not ruin what I have taken years to build). I can't do anymore to try to please this customer. He wanted something done for free and that just isn't how it works. In 15 years of business I've never had anything like this happened as evidenced by my A+ BBB rating shows. It's not my fault that he has an old system with inferior parts that is now breaking down. I am a repairman not a magician.

I told **** jack on monday when he called witch by the way was suppose to be on sunday, the check was canceled on on the 5th of sept. I also told him i would pay for the things he hopefully fixed correctly in the sum of 190.00 dollars. I just have one more question to billy jacks impeccable reputation. I wonder if he handles all of his banking at a ckeck cashing outfit. This is turning in to a real joke.

Irrigation Systems & Equipment, Lawn & Garden Sprinkler Systems