After months of poor communication, delays in starting the project, and 2 failed inspections I cancelled my contract with them and am seeking refund.
I signed a contract with them on 10/26/2015 and was instructed by Courtney that the only way to move forward and be put on the calendar was to pay 50% down. I mailed check number 0201 in the amount of $2,540 that same week. Courtney scheduled me for a day around mid-November. We were at risk for cancelling that date because in order to get a town permit Burke ********* had to include approval from the Home Owner's Association. I completed the necessary paperwork and received HOA approval and forwarded Courtney the approval on November 9th. When I did not hear back from her after a few days I called the office to find out she had been fired and that there was no record of me being scheduled anywhere. Keith and Christi ***** were trying to fix the scheduling problems. However, this began weeks of me e-mailing and calling for updates on when I could be scheduled because no one from the office was taking the initiative to call me.They didn't obtain the permit until 12/07/2015 and I was finally scheduled for mid-December. Keith called me the morning of the day of demolition saying the project foreman was sick and they did not know when they could reschedule me. I became frustrated and angry because I had put down such a large deposit and all I had gotten up to this point was poor communication, delays in scheduling, and excuse after excuse. Christi and I had a number of discussions where I voiced my concerns and I even messaged Mark on 12/14/2015 outlining my complaints about Keith and the company. I messaged him again later that afternoon (12/14/2015) because at this point I wanted as little to do with the company and I was tired of the delays. This message was regarding cancelling the mudjacking portion of our agreement. I signed a revised agreement with them on 12/15/2015 which was for driveway work only at this point since I had cancelled the mudjacking and the city did not approve the 2 other small concrete projects I had wanted. This put the balance I would have owed at $1,670 instead of another $2,540. Christi e-mailed me on 12/16/2015 offering to schedule me for demolition the first week in January; we settled on Tuesday 01/05/2016. They began demolition of my driveway that day. The digging tractor was left blocking the sidewalk and lots of mud was left in the street in front of my home. The inspector came the next day and it failed inspection on multiple points. Mark spoke with the inspector directly on my cell phone and the inspector told him the mud and tractor were a problem and if they weren't moved/fixed the next day he would be fined. He didn't and the company was fined. They came out later that week to add things to pass inspection, but they failed a second time. I was 3 weeks without a driveway. On 01/22/2016 I called Mark and cancelled the contract. I was tired of their delays and 2 failed inspections was a huge red flag. He verbalized he would call me on Monday to discuss refund. He and I never spoke, but Christi contacted me only after I had to initiate contact with her. Mark never e-mailed or called me throughout all this. Christi said a $600 refund was being offered. I felt it low and that he did not do $2,000 worth of work. When I requested an accounting of what the exact charges were to justify their refund amount they stopped contact altogether. I showed up at the office, unannounced, on 02/03/2016 to get an answer. Mark offered no accounting, told me he or a lawyer would contact me. After 2 weeks and no contact I sent him a certified letter which he received 02/24/2016. It was regarding a refund around $1,000 with details as to how and why I came to that amount. He has not replied, nor has a lawyer, to my certified letter. I began making preparations to take him to small claims court. I contacted the state comptroller's office (XXX-XXX-XXXX) and was told that they have not updated their paperwork since 2009 and they are currently "non-compliant" and should not be practicing business in the state.
I would like BBB to help facilitate communication with **** ********* in order to get a $1,000 refund. **** and his office manager, Christi Frick, have stopped responding to calls or e-mails, and I even sent **** a certified letter which was signed for on 2/24/2016. He never replied to my letter. I am wanting **** to show some accounting as to why he was only willing to refund $600. I believe **** is dishonest and that he is either overcharging me on supplies or the demolition (or both), or is even trying to make me pay for the fines he incurred from the Town of Little Elm while working on my project. Those are the only things that help explain why he would refund such a small amount of a $2,540 deposit. I am prepared to take this to small claims court if this matter cannot be resolved through the BBB.
We have spoken with ******* ******* and worked out a settlement. A check will be issued to her in the amount of $800 per our agreement. I emailed her today and a document outlining the agreement will be issued to her, followed by the check.
I called the office on April 7th to inquire about the absolute lack of contact on their part when I have sent e-mails, a certified letter, and filed a BBB complaint. Christi told me she would tell **** to contact me. No contact came, so on 4/13 I e-mailed **** directly. This sparked a series of e-mail exchanges between **** and myself to resolve the refund issue. He offered $800 now instead of the previous $600 from months ago. After speaking with my husband we agreed to take the $800 offer. Our family is making major decisions right now and we have decided to move. If our family weren't in crisis mode right now I strongly feel I would have taken this to small claims court (I had already begun the research and spoken with a lawyer) to receive the full $1,000. In our recent exchanges I still asked for an accounting and he still did not provide one. His lack of offering information is suspicious and I still feel he is lying and is being dishonest. His website still advertises that they are BBB accredited even though they are NOT. He is also non-compliant with the state comptrollers office. The registered agent with the state is a man named BJ Butcher and ****'s parents, Earl and Thomasine *********, are listed as the Board Members. It currently states on ****'s website that he took over as President in 1990 and yet the state's paperwork does not reflect this change, which by law he was supposed to update. I strongly hope BBB will take action against a company who claims to be connected with your agency when he is absolutely no longer accredited. As of today, Monday 04/18 I have not received a confirmation e-mail from **** acknowledging my acceptance of his amount. It is my hope it can be resolved this week and that the check will be mailed promptly.