Generational Equity

10 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 2 closed in last 12 months

Additional Complaint Information

Several BBB complaints allege that Generational Equity misled customers into believing that there were actively-interested buyers for the complainant's business or the business' industry that may not have actually existed.

However, as of February 8, 2016, BBB has verified that Generational Equity's standard set of correspondence states, no less than 5 times, that "there is no promise that a buyer exists for your particular business or that any buyer has expressed an interest in your specific business."

08/06/2015Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

This company is total fraud. They continuously cold call us even though they promised they would never call us again once we attended their seminar.
It's all lies with this company. Snakes for sales people call and lie about having private companies interested in us. Promising on recorded voicemail that this is not a solicitation and that they have an interested buyer. This is a trick to get us to call back and then they want us to attend a seminar again and sign up with them which costs 30K. These guys are the scum of the Earth looking to cheat businesses into believing they can sell your business. Real brokers do not ask for 30K! They work from commission. Seriously, this company should be investigated.

DO NOT CALL US EVER AGAIN!

After multiple attempts to reach the business owner for a solution to their satisfaction, we were finally able to connect and was able to explain our marketing efforts. We discovered the reason(s) for the multiple calls and came to a mutual agreement and a satisfied solution.

As long as they never call me again I am happy.

10/03/2014Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

They call our office constantly wanting to book a seminar. I went seven years ago and it was a huge mistake. The person calling thinks its a joke.
Seven calls in one day? Get real. We dont want your service. Stop calling. Eight AM Monday there back calling again. As a small business we get five to ten solicitations over the phone per day.

Put me on their no call list.

Firm called and advised they would no longer call me. All is resolved.

07/03/2014Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

Generational Equity in initial contact, sales presentation and individual meetings as having qualified buyers interested in my business.
my husband attended GE sales presentation due to my unavailability. The presenter pulled him out of the room, asked a few questions and then told him, our business qualified to be selected due to buyers that they had who were interested in my category of business. The sales person then came to our home the next morning, spent about 20 minutes looking over my numbers then continued to expand on the process of introducing buyers to my business. He went thru every detail for the next couple hours and then became very high pressure making comments like "Do you really want to sell your business? I don't think you want to sell your business. He left and came back the next night. We had him over for dinner. Again the same high pressure sales presentation. I asked for references and he referred me to their testimonials on their website. He made several follow up calls. He said the fee would go up January 1st. He talked about the synergy they had with buyers and equity firms looking for my type of business. He said he would be attending a convention the next month and wanted to preview my business.
So, end of December, I thought they would follow thru with their sales presentation so I signed the agreement and sent them $34,000.
Immediately, they assigned an analyst who spent about 30 days compiling the sales document and evaluation. This seemed very professional. It took a few months to get everything right. I signed the engagement letter on August 15th. Then I find out that my business is turned over to a local broker who is responsible for the majority of the selling and what GE does is lis the business on websites, sends out letters from computerized lists and waits for a response.
I even forwarded a qualified lead and nothing happened.
I voiced my concern a couple months after signing the agreement. My contact said he would talk with marketing and the local broker and I would get monthly progress reports.
Well I got nothing, not even a copy of what ever they were sending out to these names on the lists, that I edited and approved.
I called the contact again yesterday and he apologized and said he would look into it and that he needed to talk to their research department about a program to market smaller businesses such as mine.
He confirmed that GE "did not have any buyers interested in my business" and the local broker parroted the same remark. He said GE just sends out letters from computerized lists.
I can do that. Well $34,000 is a lot to pay for that.
Their sales presentation is totally bogus and just a high pressure tactic like previous complaints have stated.
This needs to stop.
G E needs to be truthful in their presentation or not take on businesses that they know they do not have buyers.
I repeatedly asked since I did not see Retail and was told that they sold lots of retail and again referred me to website AND sold businesses in my area.
I am not blaming them for the business not selling BUT am holding them responsible for misrepresentation.
I have to agree with previous complaints, this is a not an ethical business practice. GE is swindling small business owners that are not sophisticated into paying these high deposits with the false hope GE is going to sell their business.

I am asking that GE refunds me $25,500. The comparable cost of a valuation and marketing document is $10,000. I did not receive any prospective offers, The local broker contacted me with 3 inquiries in 10 months. I do not believe any of them received a marketing document. I did not receive any documentation that anything was sent out to prospective buyers
I actually gave them a prospect that I contacted and nothing came of it.
I think $10,000 is enough to cover their expenses, overhead and a healthy profit on this engagement.
As a business retailer, the customer is always right.
GE needs to do the right thing.

This is an acknowledgement of receipt for this case. We have had multiple conversations with our client regarding their concern and we are working together on a plan for resolution.

06/20/2014Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

Generational Equity gave us false hopes for selling our business, took most all of our savings and could not come up with a single prospective buyer.
My wife and I own a small business with annual sales of just over a million dollars. We have been in business for close to 30 years, in what is now a competitive and declining market. Like many business owners, we work extremely long hours. We have been concerned about how we might be able to afford to retire some day. There have been few opportunities to grow our business, and it seemed the opportunity of selling it had passed us by. In comes Generational Equity, a mergers and acquisitions company, located in Dallas Texas.
I received several calls from GE claiming to have had inquiries from investment companies interested in buying a business like my own. I was invited to a sales conference, but couldn't take the time to attend myself, so I asked my son to attend in my stead. At the meeting, my son became convinced that we should arrange a meeting with GE to see if they might take us on as a client. Given market conditions and our declining sales pattern, I felt that Generational Equity would not see us as a good prospect, but figured, what the heck - what could there be to lose? There was a lot.
The next morning, my wife, son and I sat down with the salesperson from Generational Equity, who asked many questions about our business and looked through our last three years of income statements and our balance sheet. After over an hour of this, he looked me in the eye and said, "The world is your oyster, and you've barely scratched the surface." What? I couldn't believe what I was hearing. He went on and on, calling us a "Legacy Company" and that Generational Equity had nothing like us in their portfolio. He described the sale process where, after putting our company on the market, we would be able to look at 20 or 30 prospective buyers and whittle that down to ten or so to try to get the best deal we could. He stated that G.E. had an annual trade show for prospective investors in the coming months and he wanted to feature our company at the show.
This must have gone on for 15 or 20 minutes, and while he never mentioned a dollar figure we might expect for our business (a strict rule for G.E. employees), he had all three of us seeing BIG MONEY. None of us thought of a figure below a million dollars. We believed he must be correct. He's in the business of selling companies and sure was enthusiastic about selling ours. After all, just the fact that he would take us on as a client was a huge vote of confidence, since Generational Equity makes their profits by selling companies. That day, we wrote a check to Generational Equity for the required $35,000.00 to get started (which we had in the bank only because we had earlier taken out a second mortgage on our home). However, a few months later it dawned on me that perhaps there is another way Generational Equity makes a "profit".
Since that day, reality and the passage of time have brought our expectations lower and lower. After over a year now, Generational Equity has not presented us with even one prospective buyer. I am convinced that, aside from the legitimate sale of businesses, GE will take on a client and collect $35,000.00 from them with the intention of making a "profit" on that sum alone, whether or not the business is sold. If the cost to them of getting your business in the marketplace is $5,000.00, for example, that's a neat "profit" of $30,000.00.
My wife and I feel as though we've been swindled. Looking over our balance sheet, this salesperson saw that we had the $35,000.00 on hand, and through misleading and grossly exaggerated language that could only have been intended to raise our expectations, he set out to get it. Others who are considering engaging Generational Equity to sell their company must be careful that they are not falling prey to this con job. While I don't doubt that G.E. serves some clients well in the process of selling their businesses, I've become convinced that they also pad their profits using this unconscionable sales practice.

I am seeking a refund of the entire amount we paid to Generational Equity in the amount of $34,500.00.

In other circumstances, I'd be open to searching out a middle ground, but in this case, I feel that I was completely and knowingly duped by Generational Equity into engaging their services.

Good morning,

I believe we've come to a satisfactory agreement with our client but it has been a challenge getting in touch with them based on their travel schedule. We will confirm the agreement today and **** post our response no later than noon tomorrow, 5/6/2014.

**** *****

Mr. Stallings;

Good morning. Regarding this case, we had some difficulty getting a timely response from our client to meet your time line in closing this case. With some effort we were able to work this out with our client , however, he was not able to send a written response to you regarding his satisfaction. He responded on another forum and I forwarded his response to you and would like you to include his response on this case. If this is outside of your service boundaries, please let me know. I posted his response on your site but it may have been past your closing date for this complaint. Please let me know if you would like me to resend the response.

Respectfully;

11/14/2013Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

I have asked Generation Equity repeated to please take my name off their call list. They now are calling my personal cell phone as well.
I cannot believe the number of times I have asked this company to please take my name off their call list. I have repeatedly told them I am not interested in their sales spiel and yet they continue to harass me with calls. If I am lucky I can ignore the call, but if I pick up and ask to be removed from their list they eventually tell me they will after trying to push their sales pitch and then I still get called.
With sales ethics like this, they are completely untrustworthy to do business with. And I will never use them or recommend them to anyone.

They have wasted so much of my time now I want them to pay me for all the time they have kept me and my staff on the phone. I am a small business owner and I can only make money if I am productive. If this was just one time, I would not be complaining, however after literally hundreds of calls, I feel it only right for them to pay me for my time. I asking for merely one hour at $150/hr. If I continue to get harassed by them, I will wish to be compensated a lot more than this.

First I want to thank Mr ***** ****** for the pleasant outcome in resolving this issue. We were able to make contact directly with Mr. ****** and discovered that we had multiple listings with his contact information. With that discovery we were able to quickly come up with a mutual and satisfactory resolution.
Our goal is to transfer our passion for helping business owners into a successful and pleasant learning experience for business owners and will do our best to resolve all client or non-client related challenges as best as we can.

06/15/2015Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

I have asked Generational Equity to stop calling but they refuse. They harass me almost daily. I want them to stop.
Generational Equity tries to pass themselves off as a business broker but they are only interested in selling seats at one of their 'seminars'. I have told them repeatedly that I am not interested and to stop calling , the person on the phone agrees, hangs up and then passes ** contact information on to another telemarketer in their company. This has been going on for over a year.They ought to change their name to Generational Harassment.

Stop calling.

In the time allowed and since our last correspondence, we have tried multiple times to reach the business owner to confirm a suitable resolution but have not been successful.

We have done what was requested of us but the question still remains. Have we, with the business owner's help, identified and confirmed all possible contact information to fulfill the request?

We will continue trying by sending a confidential over night letter with an apology and a request to help us identify all other points of contact so we can confidently grant the request.

06/04/2015Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

Company calls at least twice a week to solicit business for the past 3+ years, despite me repeatedly telling them I am not interested.

please help us get them to stop doing this to us and the many other companies they are harassing.

to just have the stop with the constant solicitation.

We apologize that your business was not placed on our "No Contact List" quickly enough and that you continued to receive phone calls from our company. We have a corporate policy in place that removes anyone from our database that asks to be removed.

Unfortunately, over the last 20 days we were unsuccessful in our attempts to reach you to confirm that we had all your relevant contact information to completely remove you from our list. However, we want to assure you that your known contact information has been removed.

At anytime please let us know if there are any additional business names or phone numbers associated or affiliated with your company that you would like us to remove from our database.

We contact business owners like you because we believe that having an exit plan is important to every business owner. Should you ever decide In the future that you would like to attend our conference on when and how to sell your business for the most profit, please contact me and we will arrange for a complimentary stay for one night at the hotel where the conference is being held.

Thank you, Mr. *****, for taking the time to read this letter. Our core values focus on providing exceptional customer experiences for business owners who are in need of exit planning services. We once again apologize for any inconvenience to you or your business and wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

01/11/2016Advertising / Sales Issues