In Dallas and Northeast Texas

BBB Accredited Business since 01/10/2000

Color Customs of Denton

10/02/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Improper or inferior repair

Complaint: Color does not match, chips in paint painted over without fill, orange peel, lack of desire to complete work to original finish.
Color and finish does not match, small rock chips not filled but painted over leaving the appearance of Acne in the paint finish. Did not follow customer instruction but conspired with Geico Insurance adjuster for inferior results.

I am the owner of Color Customs.I am really sorry that I have a customer that is unhappy with our service. This was a very small job ( 582.00 )I believe in giving the customer 100% of what is being paid for. It is honest pay for honest work.This vehicle is a 2006 and has alot of rock chips on the front end of his car. The damage the insurance company paid for was on the right side. It was a small repair on the right side of his bumper where it meets the fender and another one on the right fender. In order to repair all of the unrelated damage on his front bumper ( rock chips) we would have to strip all of the paint, prime and block, then refinish the whole bumper which is not something the insuance would pay for under this claim. But they do pay for clearing the whole bumper. Unfortunatley, clearing does not fill the rock chips. As for the paint match, did not see a mismatch. We blended the bumper as well as the fender using the same paint for both. Had plenty of room for blend on both panels. Even with 7 years of age on his 2006 vehicle, it was a great blend and great match. As for the orange peel effect, yes it has some orange peel, but is less orange peel than on the rest of his car. We asked the adjuster who wrote this claim to look at it and tell us if he sees anything we missed or did short of what his estimate paid. He came back with the report that it was repaired as per estimate. I was 10 minutes away from the office when I heard that I had an unhappy customer. I immediatley came to the office to witness the customer still stating his complaint. I did not get involved but paid attention to how my guys handled the issue. I was proud that they expained to him the process and how we can only perform the work that we get paid to do. The customer seemed to be understanding, but still wanted more and wanted someone besides himself to pay for it....I am more about finding solutions that make eveyone happy when possible. At a cost, some of these things he is asking for can be taken care of. If desired, all of the factory orange peel can be buffed completely away along with what we painted to match it. But that is at a cost to the customer. I feel to make this customer content with what he has, he should take our estimate and his vehicle to a reputable local shop and ask if that repair was performed as per estimate.

Absolutely NOT. Let's start with what Color Customs of Denton post within their Mission Statement. They claim they will go above and beyond because they understand Insurance Companies do not always view a claim in the same manner, thus making Customer Satisfaction the #1 priority. The expectations for the job were told by me to both the Geico Adjuster and the representative for Color Customs at the time the car was left to be repaired. If they had no intention of preforming the work the way I wanted it done they should have told me and I would have taken the car to another repair facility. I used this facility only because the Geico Adjuster offices from their location. They tend to argue the point that it was an old vehicle. The car has 60,000 miles on it and has been garaged kept since the day it was purchased. We are not talking about a beat up, high mileage vehicle. Across the bumper area their are some, perhaps a dozen small rock chips between 1/16 and 1/8 in diameter. The area near the damage had the most rock chips. The bumper was removed to make the repair. To repair the rock chips meant to simply put a small about of filler in them and sand before painting. Less than 10 minutes work for a slow repair person. They charged $145 for paint and supplies which simply means there was plenty to do the job correctly. The main point is when talking to them they said they if they only paint over the chips making it look worse, which they did on the part of the bumper where the chips were more prevalent. I had insisted from the beginning that I DID NOT want this kind of repair. Absolutely no estimate was given me for additional repairs. The adjuster and the representative said they latter got together and over road my wishes, no call to me about this before the work was done ignoring my wishes. For the statements concerning the orange peel finish of their paint. There is no factory orange peel which would have no bearing anyway. They are responsible for the orange peel and color match of the work they did, both of which exist. Bottom line is I was not satisfied with the work. When I paid the deductible for work on a Visa Card I wrote on the receipt with my signature that the work was unsatisfactory. Their response was they would not accept that payment with that written on the receipt and would not release my car. I told them they had their money when they ran my Visa and I signed the receipt, I could write whatever additional information on the receipt I wanted. I also informed them if they didn't want to release my car to me they would would have two choice, repair the vehicle correctly or release it to the Denton Police which I would be willing to call immediately. They had more than ample opportunity to repair this car correctly. My advise to anyone going here is to remember if your car is not just off the assembly line they may consider it a high milage junker as they attempted to present my vehicle in the company response. I have also lost confidence in GEICO Insurance, after 13 years as a customer. I have no information that confirms my suspicion there could have been financial collaboration between Custom Paints and the GEICO Adjuster to under preform, only my personal knowledge of what goes on in some parts of the industry. This is provided by me to potential customers so that they can make an informed decision based on customer experience with Custom Color.

Complaint Resolution: BBB determined that while the company addressed the complaint issues, the complainant was dissatisfied and the matter was outside BBB Rules of Arbitration.

Auto Body Repair & Painting