BBB Accredited Business since 12/01/2014

Hooper Plumbing & Air Conditioning Company

07/29/2013Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

Hooper A/C are billing me $150+ to determine a/c needed freon. Initial request stated freon was low. Service charge should be a flat rate not hourly.
On 7/10/13 I received a call from Brooke stating the account was past due and they're sending it to collections. I informed her that I spoke with ***** months ago about this situation and explained that I will gladly pay for any reasonable charges, which in this case was merely a service charge. She stated the technician spent a lot of time at the property diagnosing the problem. My initial service request indicated the unit was out of freon or possibly low. I don't understand why it took more than 10-15 mins to determine the unit needed freon. All that is required is a special tool or instrument to determine the freon level in the system.

This was my daughter's leased townhouse located in Dallas, TX. In April, 2013 the tenant contacted me in Houston, TX about a problem with the A/C unit. I found Hooper Plumbing and A/C from your listing(BBB). I spoke to Brooke who was very courteous, profesional and understanding of the urgency of the situation and the fact that I was over 300 miles away. I asked about their method of payment offering my credit card but she stated they would have no problem billing me. I thought that was exceptionally nice but at the same time very unusual since I lived out of town.

Brooke stated they would have a technician out that day. I was really excited since it was after 3:00PM. I told her the tenant was away and should be at the property within the hour. I asked that they contact me or the tenant before dispatching the technician to the property.

Well 30 minutes later I received a call from Brooke stating the technician had been waiting 15 minutes to get through the access gate. She requested the gate code at which time I asked if the tenant was back. She wasn't sure but would check with the technician.

She called back 20 mins later stating there was no answer at the door. Needless to say they didn't call me nor the tenant before the tech was dispatched. I called the tenant and she was still away and would be there in about 30 minutes. I informed Brooke, she stated they would dispatch the tecnician to another service call and send him back to the location.

Upon the second trip the tenant was contacted to confirm she was at the property. The tenant stated he looked at the unit in the attic and the one outside. She stated that he was at the location 20-25 minutes as the most. He told her the evaporator coil had a leak and the approximate cost ($$$). The tenant called my daughter who informed the tech she wanted a second estimate.

A week later Brooke called me about the bill. It was at that time I spoke to ***** (mgr)explaining the situation, he was going to send me the bill and would talk to the tech and call me back.

Well this was several months ago (April, 2013) and I've never received a phone call or any correspondence until 7/10/13. As I stated previously, I have no problem paying adequate service charges but I refuse to pay charges for the tech waiting for the tenant and for going to the property twice.

I've called a few A/C, plumbing and other service based companies and they stated there are trip charges and service charges which has a flat rate. They don't charge by the hour to diagnose a problem and if for any reason they did, it would be disclosed to the customer initially definitely not after the fact.

I appreciate your assistance regarding an amicable resolution for both parties concerned.

Regards,
******* ************

I merely want to pay the company for reasonable services rendered i.e. SERVICE CHARGE. I feel that Hooper A/C inflated the bill mostly because the tech made 2 trips and also the fact that my daughter declined to pay the amounts he quoted to replace or repair the evaporator coil.

We went to Mrs. ***** address on 3/6/13 at 9:45 am that morning to repair a/c, not sure were she gets after 3:00, I can verify by gps when we were there. We were called to diagnose why ac wasnt cooling, the technition checked the unit, discovered it was out of freon and told tenant who said she was customers sister-in-law. She called her brother **** ***** who said he didn't want to try to locate any leaks just to refill system with freon, he requested we return later to do so, technician left job planning to return later. Before we were able to return Mr. ***** canceled and customers has refused to pay. The customer was billed for a service call and diagnostic charge, we even tried to adjust the invoice to the customers satisfaction but she refuses to pay anything. At this point the customer owes us for the service call and diagnostic fee.

*****,

Needless to say your response was rude, inappropriate and very unprofessional and I really don't appreciate the character assassination. Obviously you are confusing me with your past and/or current clientele, who lack morals therefore resulting in your increase of outstanding invoices. I offered my credit card information to Brooke and she said they would bill me. Tracy, might I suggest implementing new payment procedures at your next staff meeting, as the current policy isn't working for you.

I never stated nor implied that I would not pay for services rendered, I merely have a problem with being overcharged. As far as the twisting the facts... that would be your employees. I resent the fact that they are trying to cover their @$$ at the customer's expense. I'm sure that Mr. ***** Rodden would agree that employees are a reflection the business and referrals are the best form of advertising. The company has been in business for over 80 years and I'm sure they that was not achieved by having bad attitudes and poor management skills. Character traits that you have portrayed in both phone conversations and correspondence with you.

I placed the service call for the a/c unit to be recharged. Your technician quoted some ridiculous price range of $600-$800 to put Freon in the unit. He said he could be more accurate once he knew exactly how much Freon it would need. He also informed Mr. Fobbs that the cost of Freon had increased drastically. That's when Mr. Fobbs declined and stated he would get another estimate.

Declining your offer to deduct $80 from the bill is not the same as "refusing any attempt to resolve this matter." I yet to receive a copy of the invoice in question. So again I am requesting that you submit a copy to me.

Your prompt attention regarding my 5th request is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
******* ************
cc:

Air Conditioning Contractors & Systems, Air Conditioning Supplies & Parts, Air Conditioning Systems - Cleaning, Air Conditioning Repair, Water Heaters - Dealers, Air Conditioning Equipment - Room Units, Air Conditioning & Heating Contractors - Commercial, Air Conditioning & Heating Contractors - Residential, Heating & Air Conditioning, Plumbing Contractors New Construction, Water Heaters - Repairing, Plumbing Drains & Sewer Cleaning, Plumbing - Renovation & Repair, Plumbing - Contractor, Plumbing Plan Services, Plumbers, Drainage Contractors