BBB Accredited Business since 11/26/2002

Aire Serv of N. Dallas Metro

07/14/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

In September 2012, Air Serv installed a Lennox HVAC ($9841.00, 5ton for a 2295 sq ft home) and added a UV light and replaced all my ducts/vent covers (additional $3400.00).Since installation, I have had continued problems with apparent mold/mildew growing around my room vents, something I have never had before. I have maintained bi-annual, pre-paid servicing, and Robert, the technician, told me that the black areas growing around my vents was carbon from the air filter, with I knew was obviously not correct. Approx a year ago, Air Serv had a duct cleaning service come; they sealed the areas where the A/C ducts end at the ceining level. I thought this might solve the problem, but it has not.On 5/23/14, Air Serv performed another pre-paid bi-annual service, and Robert told me that the dehumidifier was not programmed correctly, so he corrected the problem (I don't have a dehumidifier). Air Serv then sent the duct cleaning service again (6/2/14). I had done some research, and thought I knew what was causing the problem. It was a stroke of luck that the field supervisor came to my home because he was training a new person. After discussing this issue with him, my suspicions were confirmed: I was sold a system that is too big for my home; it forces the air out too quickly, such that there is no time for any moisture to evaporate, causing mold/mildew upon exit into the room. I left a message on 6/11/14, and called back on 6/13/14, when I reached the office manager, *******, who told me that **** has been out sick for 8 months, and that she is in charge. She summarily and aggressively discounted me, and said this problem did not involve, and was not caused by, the HVAC; she then emailed me copies of work that had been done (I have all the originals), as well as 2 copies of a "Notice, Disclosure and Disclaimer" that I have not seen before, followed by an email saying her lawyer has informed her that they have gone far beyond/is not liable for anything/it is not Aire Serv's problem.
Product_Or_Service: Install new Lennox HVAC, UV light, ducts/boots/gri

The ultimate problem is that the system is too big for the home, and I paid a higher price than necessary. The duct cleaning they performed was cosmetic, not a repair. Installing a high quality de-humidifier (to match the expensive HVAC) might help, so I think Aire Serv should cover my expense for having one installed. Or replace the HVAC with one that is identical except for being an approp size for the home.I also desire a refund for recent pre-paid, bi-annual service for upcoming year.

view attachment

The response from Aire Serv is full of hyperbole and deliberate falsehoods. I am happy to hire a state certified mold technician for the purpose of putting an end to some of these statements.

While waiting for the Lennox technical representative to return from out of town (he is a very nice an knowledgable person), I called another HVAC company, who diagnosed and repaired the problem by phone in less than 3 minutes for free: the fan needed to be on auto instead of continuous. My humidity level is now completely normal, and the black substance on my ceilings around the air vents is not progressing. Now I will need to have the substance removed, the areas repainted, and the master bedroom boot replaced. I think Aire Serv should cover the cost, particularly since they provided and installed the HVAC, and although I requested help from them many times, my problem got worse since the technician was not qualified to remediate the issue.

Air Conditioning Contractors & Systems, Heating Equipment, Heating Equipment & Systems Cleaning & Repair, Air Duct Cleaning, Air Conditioning Systems - Cleaning, Air Conditioning Repair, Air Conditioning & Heating Contractors - Commercial, Air Conditioning & Heating Contractors - Residential, Heating & Air Conditioning, Heating Contractors, Heat Pumps