BBB Accredited Business since 04/01/2013

Window World of Central Alabama, Inc.

14 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 3 closed in last 12 months

03/16/2016Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Purchase on September 23, 2015
On September 23rd 2015, I ordered 3 windows to match the windows that I had purchased earlier from Window World. The price would be $1458.00.
I gave a check for half the money on that date. I waited...They never contacted me.
I called in December asking why the delay, thinking the windows were being assembled. They set up a date to put them in. They said they would install them in January (4 months later).
They installed them in January. One was tinted. Two windows were not tinted like all the others in my condo. One window has a flaw (they said they would repair in a week). I especially wanted the two windows that were not tinted to be tinted because that in an upstairs window that gets sun from morning to hot afternoon sun.
They have ignored me over and over again.
I'm 79 years old and I'm so tired of begging them to do something they should have done in the beginnning. (October for sure.) I have paid them in full.

I want the two windows to be tinted to help the temperature in the room.

On November 11th, Window World spoke with the homeowner and scheduled an install date for 12/11. The homeowner cancelled the appointment the day before due to a high chance of rain the next day. Window World scheduled another installation date for 12/22, and again the homeowner cancelled the appointment the day before due to a high chance of rain. Window World does not like to perform work in the rain either, so at that point in time it was a mutual agreement to reschedule into January. January 12th, Window World completed the job and the homeowner signed off on the Certificate of Completion and gave 5 stars on every section noting she was a satisfied Window World customer. There was no indication about "tint" missing from the windows, but there was a note stating Window World needed to reorder 1 sash due to it being broken. Window World ordered, and received that sash. Window World has documented they have called the homeowner with no answer to get this resolved. The tint she may be referring to is the "Solarzone Package" in which it has somewhat of a tint to it, and all of her windows have this package. Window World does have a tint option on their contract, but none of the homeowners windows had this option on the contract. Please contact Window World to get this resolved.

First of all, the windows (2) in question are not like the ones that were installed earlier. One window is the same. You can tell from the outside that 2 windows are not the same. They must be of another material.
Another thing is they never contacted me to repair the window that has a flaw. They said they would be back in a couple of days. They never came back.

**** *** ******

I DID respond. They are coming out tomorrow afternoon. I doubt they will offer new windows to me. It took them 3 months to put the windows in and they only did it then because I called in December to see what happened for them to wait so long.
I'm almost 80 years old and this has taken a toll on me.
**** *** ******

Window World would love to address this issue, and will have to visit the home to inspect. The sash that was ordered and received will be brought out the same time. Again, Window World has reached out to get this scheduled but there has been no answer as of 03/07/16. At your convenience, please give Window World a call and this will be resolved quickly.

05/18/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

After 5mo wait for install, I have been unable to get a call back for repairs on the door, missing framing, cracked screen after two weeks.
On November 22, 2014 I ordered 13 windows from Window World for my entire home in addition to a french door to my patio. I paid well over 1/2 up front leaving only $1800 to pay. I was advised that I would have a 6-8 week turn around time giving me an installation time of late Jan to early Feb. This did not happen. We had a cold rainy winter. By April I called to request an appointment, after my second call the scheduling manager called back we agreed on April 29, 2015 for install. The installers arrived 8:30a & quickly removed my windows & installed the new windows & were leaving by 3:30p. The HEAD installer advised me that he did not have the outside trim for my FRENCH doors & he would return the next day to put it up. I was ok with that. Next day he was a no show. I noticed my French Door was also not a snug fit, I could look & see outside thru a crack. I called Window world on May 1 to no avail. I called again on Monday May 4th spoke to JOY & she advised me I would get a call from a mgr. I called back at 4:30 on May 5 explained some of my issues to Joy again, she said she was leaving a note on his desk. I have yet to hear from ANYONE at the company! I have inspected my windows & noticed several of the screens framing were cracked during installation. PLUS I ordered Frosted glass in the bathrooms & I have clear glass & I've checked my contract & I paid for the glass. I am very very unhappy. It appears that because it started to rain during the door install they failed to use a leveler & the door is not even. Then when they put my framing back on the inside of my home it looks absolutely AWFUL! I am highly disappointed. I have paid this entire balance in FULL!

I am desiring for my FRENCH door to be fixed properly & the trimming to be put on outside. PLUS the inside trim to be fixed properly. I also desire all 5 cracked screens to be replaced with new ones that are not cracked. I would also LIKE my frosted glass in both bathrooms that I paid for.

Window World has scheduled to inspect the job this week. The frosted glass was ordered the day it arrived without the correct glass and will be taken out upon inspection of the door. From there, Window World will get the serial numbers for the screens and the correct pieces for the French Door. It is Window World's standard to complete the job to the satisfaction of the homeowner. We are very sorry for the lack of communication presented to you, as we rarely get this type of feedback. Thank you for your patience, and giving us the opportunity to address these opportunities and provide you with the superior product, and service that you expected.

I accept the response. Window world sent out two different employees, one a manager, who was extremely disappointed in the way the work was done. They repaired the framing on the outside of my French doors. They took measurements of the cracked screens & have agreed to replace them. They also advised that if there is no settling of the gap they will come back & repair the French door gap. So for now I am satisfied. I was also left a direct email address as a point of contact, hopefully this will avoid any future breakdown in communication.

12/31/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Installation of windows incorrect. Have been given the run around.They came rewrapped the windows but now they look worse than before.Big dents,cracks
On 5/12/14 I bought nine windows from window world merchant ID#***************,Account # ****.I have financed the windows through ***********. On 8/5/14 they came and installed them but they left the inside trim unfinished.I called window world on 8/6/14 with a complant of caulk every where on the frame where the corners should have met up on the the windows and on my floor.And they left the inside raw sheetrock exposed. The framing had cracks at every corner where the framing corners did not meet up. Big dents in the metalframes where they hammered the nails in. So they said they would send someone to look at it. They did and he took pictures of all the windows. He said this was a half done job that they should not have left it like that. That they didn't even do it right. So he took the pictures back to **** the manager. Window world called and said they would send the same crew to fix their mess. I asked for someone else. **** said they had to send the same ones because they had already got paid for that work and they need to fix their mess. After three appointments cancled they finally came 12/1/14 to fix the windows. They were not happy to be back saying it was ********** the salesmans mistake by not ordering the trim to be done. I was told they were going to fix inside and outside and make it right. I had to call **** while the crew was here trying to see why they was not going to fix the inside trim. **** said that it was not ordered in the original order for the trim so they could slap some plywood up and patch the part that was against the windows. But no inside trim would be put up. The crew did take credit for the messy incorrect job of installation they did. So I'm thinking they were going to make things right. They put the plywood up on the inside and gave me advice on how to trim the windows myself. The end results for the redo job of fixing the wrapping on the outside is worse this time than the first time. Several dents in the metal wrapping. Corners not meeting up so they just filled them with lots of caulk that was running everywhere. Nail holes left in the old siding that they reused from the first job for the trim job. I called right after they left trying to talk with **** the manager but I was told he had left for the day.So I still have ugly half done windows!

Window World needs to send a different crew that knows how to frame the metal on the outside correctly and fix this incomplete mess I have been left with.

The sub-contractor that Window World hired to do this job showed many opportunities. Once Window World witnessed these opportunities they addressed, and fixed them. Unfortunately the interior trim was not paid for upon signing of the contract. Window World assigns the work to their sub-contractors following the contract. If their is additional work that is not charged for, Window World attains consent from the home owner and writes an addendum for the cost if the home owner wants additional items. Window World has finished the job to the highest standard, and Ms. Beasley is again a happy customer.

After 3 times of having them come back to fix the windows on the third time they sent a more experienced person that they should have sent the second time . The windows were finally fixed correctly. But the inside trim work is left for us to fix because the sales man did not place trim work on the origional work order. The sales man said they would do inside and out. After I was told by the lady on the phone that window world would make it right, the manager said she had no authority to say that. And the inside will not be getting fixed by them. I am still upset that the inside didn't get fixed but I am glad I finally got the outside of the windows fixed.

12/05/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Installer found rot in wall & floor, stated floor was uneven which prevented the install. Installation was delayed. Later found there was no damage.
11/12/14 Wednesday- installer came out. Found rot in wall and part of floor that needed to be corrected before the install could be completed. In attempt to get the hole in the wall covered, they were able to get the door frame in, but unable to get the glass doors installed due to a hump in the floor. (note: installer had no level)which would require the floor joists to be lowered. They put up a tarp. Since the contract I had with Window World (WW) was just for installation, the subcontractor said I could hire him to make the repairs which he estimated at $1200. I called WW, explained the situation and verified the credentials. The temperature was to drop to 30 degrees that night and continue to drop into the 20's for the next few days so I agreed for him to do the remediation. The installer said that he would call early afternoon after he cleared his schedule to set the time to complete the repairs and the installation. 11/13/2014- WW called to check on my satisfaction with the install. Obviously no communication between manager-installer-home office. No call from installer. Left several messages. Called WW, they offered no other installer, no other suggestions except for me to find another contractor. Different stories from different people regarding the original installer and apparent reschedule dates. 11/14/2014- Given the fact that the door could not be installed due to issues with the floor and rot, the only way to know that the repairs were adequate was to have the same person making the repairs to do the install. Called WW and stated that if I hire an outside contractor to do the repairs, that they would also be installing the door. WW agreed to this and stated they would reduce my bill to reimburse some of the cost which I thought was fair. I found another contractor who could come out first thing in the morning to assess. 11/15/2014- my contractor came out told me there was NO rotted wall and NO rotted floor that would prevent the door from being installed. There was a rotten piece of wood where the deck met the house that needed to be replaced but the structural soundness of the door was not dependent upon that at all. Since he came prepared with a level, he verified that the floor had NO hump at all. He was able to square everything up and get the glass doors intalled within minutes so I would at least have a door covering the opening instead of a tarp until he could get back and complete the job. Bottom line- no $1200 worth of damage. 11/17/14- call WW and explained that there was no damage, no rot and that my contractor had the door installed within minutes. Asked that my bill be reduced more than originally stated since the install could have been done on Wednesday by a knowledgeable installer with appropriate tools. Since I paid for removal, I asked that they pick up the old door. Explained that the new door is shorter in length than the old door and there is now a ½-1" gap outside where the vinyl siding falls short. I requested that WW supply the vinyl trim to account for this difference on the outside as this should have been discovered at the time of initial measurement. The outside handle of the door was black and per the sales rep it was to be the same color as the door. 11/18/2014- Office stated that they would reduce the bill for a total of $250. Stated that all custom painted doors come with black handles on the outside. Office requested I send pictures of the outside vinyl and gaps. After review, the office stated the manager would not provide the vinyl trim as I hired an installer outside of WW and I would be responsible for the cost. I explained that since WW installs vinyl siding, there should be no issue at all providing this trim for me given the circumstances. Manager was unavailable and would call me back. 11/20/14- no call to date.

I would like the bill reduced to account for the labor I had to pay out of pocket for another installer; the old door removed; vinyl trim supplied (not installed) to account for the difference in door size and gap in siding; replacement handle in a finish other than black such as brushed nickel.

Window World instructs their team of sub-contractors to detect any type of structural issue before they proceed with the installation process. Unfortunately in this case, the structural issues were determined upon the removal of the previous door ************ had. With a contract agreed and signed for these types of instances, the homeowner knows the responsibility is theirs to correct these structural issues before Window World can install the product. ************ was shown, along with her father, the structural issues regarding the door. Door rot was obvious, and ************ agreed to let the sub-contractor fix the issue away from Window World's time. The time frame for when that is fixed is solely ************'s responsibility per the contract she signed. The sub-contractor that was assigned to fix her structural damage did not show up when they agreed, and ************ could not get a hold of him. ************ called Window World upset that he is not there, however, this is now out of Window World's control. The fact that Window World did try to get a hold of the sub-contractor for ************ proves that they value her situation, unfortunately they could not assign another sub-contractor to finish the structural repair because that is ************'s responsibility. ************ understood. ************ found a sub-contractor to complete the work and stated he found no wood rot, however there had to have been something left unannounced to ************ due to him charging $575 to install a single door. ************ spoke to Window World about the adjustment of the balance with no installation, and both parties came to a settlement. ************ acquired a gap between the door and the vinyl siding in which was caused by improper trimming of the door from the sub-contractor that was hired. There was no need in supplying vinyl trim due to that simple mistake, and that issue is now properly fixed. ************'s previous door was disposed by Window World. Window World is honoring ************'s request in adjusting the balance with no installation of the door.

I am pleased that WW was willing to reduce my bill for my out of pocket expenses in hiring another installer but all of this could have been avoided altogether with the right installer.

Just to clarify a few things....I was not at the install as I had a last minute scheduling conflict so my father was there in my absence. I personally did not see any of the rot that the WW installer was speaking of in the floor and wall but relied on his expertise and what was pointed out to my father. There was rot, but it was a part of the deck and was not a part of the floor, the walls or the door frame and would not have interfered with the installation. It was a superficial piece according to my contractor. There was no hump in the floor that needed my floor joists lowered and my contractor could only figure that the old cedar siding behind the new vinyl siding was pointed out as the rot in the wall but there was no rot in the walls.

Secondly, I knew that any repairs were my responsibility and not that of WW. After I spoke with the WW installer about doing the repairs and could not get him to call me back the next day, I obviously made several calls trying to find a replacement. But being that I had an 8x6 foot opening in my home covered by just a tarp and it was going to be into the low 30's, I would have appreciated some alternative recommendations from WW instead of them trying to schedule another installer to come out the next week which would not have done any good if there were repairs to be made. Most companies have a network of contacts they can recommend for various jobs instead of leaving a customer on their own especially given the circumstance with the weather.

Lastly, the bill from my contractor included new vinyl trim that was necessary as the new door created a 1/2-1" gap. The pictures I sent WW of the difference in size and the gap in the outside trim was after the door was installed before any trim work was started. My contractor came out two separate Saturdays- once to get the door installed enough to remove the tarp (due to the extreme weather) and a second Saturday to finish the caulking and trim and to replace the deck piece. It was not a mistake made by my contractor but a mistake in the measurement of the new door. The bill also included replacement molding for the inside that the original WW installer broke during removal of the old door. It also included an additional $75 for the replacement of the rotten 2x4 that again, in no way interfered with the installation of the door itself. WW already reduced my bill by this amount so I have put a check in the mail to reimburse WW for that $75.

03/14/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

dragging out the job.its been a yr since we signed contract.wrong size windows.banging up parts around the windows.taking payment before we were satis
we signed the contract on 1/18/13 1 person came put to install on 3/16 13. he put in the 5 smaller windows fine ...... Its been going on so long now im not sure but I do know there was a wrong size window and from then on its just been wrong sizes and wrong parts and bending and messing up the trim work. they were out on 4/20 13....4/30/13....10/16/13.....2/20/13....and we are waiting now still for a window because they say they cant get the trim work.the guy brought out a replacement piece on 10/16 and boogered it up tring to put it in.he came out again on 2/20 he said he told them it wasn't the right piece but he was told to make it work.im tired of there dragging around and just sending out one person to do a 2 man job on this last window. its a large window that is high off the ground if they had sent 2 guys when they finally got the right size they could have got it in without messing it up. we were suppose to sign off on the job when we were happy with it then they were suppose to turn it in to get paid but they collected their money months ago without our consent. its been yr since we signed the contract and march will be a yr since the first install date.we just want it done.

we just want our windows finished.

We have ordered the part twice and it has came wrong each time. I ended up calling the manufacture and asked them to ship me a complete sash so that we did not go out there again and not be able to fix the issue. I know my installation office called and asked if we could come out 3-7-2014 at 2:30 to install the sash but we are waiting to hear back from the homeowner

all is well. happy that its finished

Job is complete as of 3-7-2014

12/17/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Agreement of iniitial contract was not fulfilled upon installation of windows.
The Sales Representative with Window World, at initial contract signing stated the following: He stated that because of lead paint on windows that upon installation they would have to be incased in plastic to arrest any lead dust from escaping into the environment of the house, at a charge of $65.00 per window.

The foreman of the crew also explained the importance of certain procedures the crew would be following due to the importance of keeping any lead dust from getting into the house(such as keeping doors closed, installing one window at a time, etc.). The crew, however, did not follow
any of these guidelines. The windows were not incased in any form or fashion. Therefore, I do not feel the $65.00 per window charge was legitimate and I should be reimbursed a total of $910.00. This includes 14 windows at $65.00 each.

To be refunded the $910.00 which was presented as incasing windows that contained lead dust.

Mr. ***** ********* did not feel like what we did was enough, or "worth" the amount that was charged. We executed the lead based practices in full with pictures to prove so. When you are performing the type of install that was executed on this job, and signed for on contract, no encasement is expected due to the fact the extraction is from the inside. We have agreed to refund the customer his money back, and made it right by him.

***** *****

They agreed to refund $910 on November 13th. As of today, I have received nothing.

I entered that refund check for $910.00 on 10/27- Sent to address 489 ********************** XXXXX. After speaking with Mr. ********** the correct street name is "*******" Rd.

I am issuing another check right now.

06/08/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Damaged window seals and improperly installed door
Damaged window seals with crow bars and left a 1/2 inch gap under door they installed air and water is coming in under door. We have been calling them for a month and they have missed 3 appointments to fix for and have not came out to look at or fix damage to window seals

We want our door fixed and our window seals fixed

Window World has sent a supervisor out to inspect the opportunities at this home after the installer went out and made adjustments to the door, and repairing the dry wall with spackle. Upon inspection from the supervisor the door does not have a gap any longer, however it requires more adjustments to be made to latch properly. The spackling is now dry and can be sanded and painted. Window World advised the homeowner they will cover the cost of having this done, as they are not painters and Window World would prefer it to be done professionally. The installer is scheduled to go back out there this week to adjust the door.

03/03/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Ordered tinted glass did not get. Installation took over six days with gaps allowing air and bugs into dwelling.
Want a refund on part that we paid for that salesman said was charges for tinting. Also want reimbursed for extra power bill due to cold air coming in.

On this homeowner's contract the option "Tinted Glass" was not added, nor paid for. Window World understood the opportunities on this job, and fixed them accordingly. Window World also looked into the cost of the power bill, and reimbursed accordingly. It was Window World's pleasure to resolve the opportunities on the job. Thank you for allowing Window World to take care of you.

10/30/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I ***** ****** signed a contract with window world on 4/25/2014.No work done.
I ***** ****** met with ***** ******** a rep. of window world 4/25/2014 to have 13 windows and 4 doors installed 4000 series **************XXX-X-XLite Slider (1/3,1/3,1/3) (1/4,1/2,1/4).4 doors $3712.00 13 Metal window exterior trim $975.00 1 Mull to form multi-unit $40. $75. facing color total amount $7600.financed $200.cash down payment. account#XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX merchant phone# XXX-XXX-XXXX. ***** ********

On July 2014 I spoke with the receptionist I said I will not cancel if the company will take off $500. She said she will pass on to the boss. I call again Sept.2,2014 the receptionist remembered me and said I'll pass it on again the boss was here in ********* Al. I live in ********* Al about 30min.away no courtesy call. I would like everything installed before winter gets here If they are not willing to do the work by Sept.10th 2014 then return my $200. cash down payment.

I spoke with Mr.****** we had a few issues getting out on two occasions, one being weather related the other being that the guys did not finish from the day before. I tried returning his phone calls and the only number we have is for a phone he no longer has. I apologized to him and let him know we would compensate him for the disconnect and we have all products but he declined. We are cancelling order and issuing a refund

First of all who is the person that said he spoke with me. From April to August it did not rain. I had my old cell phone cut off and got a new one which a call ***** from and called the receptionist from she said can he call you at this number a said yes I called ***** October 3, 2014 asking for my $200.00 cash despot back he said Ill get everything together your refund should be in the mail by Monday I said ok thank you and hung up.Just refund my deposit or do I need to go to small claims court.

10/20/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

We contracted new windows and 1 sliding glass door on April 26 2014. We were giving an installation date of June 8 2014.That date came and no one showed or called to inform us why no one came we called them and was told due to the weather they would not install windows that day. The day came we had agreed on and again no show or call once again when we called more excuses as to why we would not be getting windows installed. This same situation continued on until August when they sent some one to install half of our order. Time went on and we continued to get excuses as to why our order had not been completed, all the while we had to contact them and most always no one would call us back. Window world was contacted again and finally got someone to come out with remaining windows. While installing our sliding glass door ( which wasn't the door we ordered)our sheet rock was damaged and was told someone would be out in a few days to repair the damage. September 26 we contacted Window world and was told a sheet rock repairman would be out to repair the wall again no show. We have been patient and gave them every opportunity an decided we would need intervention to resolve this issue.
Product_Or_Service: Windows and Sliding Glass Door
Order_Number: ****
Account_Number: ****

We would like the work to be completed as soon as possible and balance of our account be adjusted as was agreed to by the manager.

I contact homeowner yesterday and told the customer to contact their contractor and handle the damages and we would take of the expense for them.

Window World contacted us and said for us to have repairs done on our on and we'd receive a statement saying we would owe zero balance

That is correct

Windows - Installation & Service, Windows - Vinyl, Windows - Wood, Window Replacement, Windows, Siding Materials, Doors, Siding Contractors, Gutters & Downspouts