BBB Accredited Business since 06/09/2005

West Alabama Bank & Trust

12/28/2015Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

ComplaintDescription of the complaintThis bank has been robbing the elderly in this town for years. My mother was recently diagnosed with dementia and I was awarded power of attorney over her and my father who use this bank. ***** and ******* ******** have been taken advantage of by this bank and I have the documents to prove it. Basically, the account was always overdrawn and when my parents received their disability checks each month, the bank took out the overdrawn amount. Well, in June of this year, the bank had my parents sign an overdraft an overdraft repayment plan for money owed to the bank, was dated wrong and the bank still processed the form. For what? Secondly, the bank processed checks that were clearly not signed by eithe for my parents and there was one check that was blank on the pay to the order of. I was told that my parents overdraft was suspended in June when the repayment plan was signed but the statements that followed clearly show that the bank was STILL charging fees for overdraft protection and supposedly paying for checks. This was confirmed when ***** ***** bank attendant sent me forms to cancel overdraft on November 5th. My parents were allowed to post date checks for cash when they were at times 500 or more dollars overdrawn at this bank. When I asked about specific checks that were returned due to them not being present on statement was told by ***** **** that she could see them. Ok, why couldn't I? The check in which the pay to the order of line was blank couldn't be seen by her. And the statement to that I have only date back one year. I took these documents to my bank and had them reviewed and was told that there were several red flags but mostly importantly that it looked as if the bank was paying charging my parents for overdraft protection for checks, bringing the balance current each month on the 3rd and STILL saying that they owed them money.

I wouldn't,e FULL reimbursement for the money stolen from my parents and I would like to see this matter addressed in such a way that ALL parties involved are removed from this institution because just like my parents,there are A LOT of elders people in this town who haven't any choice but to bank there out of convienance and do ot wan this to continue to happen to them

This matter is being handled by the Consumer Affairs office with the **** and a full response has been provided to the ***** Because Ms. ***** threatened litigation, the bank will address the matter through the **** and counsel only.

Banks, Mortgage Bankers, Financial Services, Loans, Banking Services