ALERT: Phishing Scam Looks Like BBB Email…But It’s Not
October 25, 2012
The BBB name and logo are being fraudulently used by criminals in an on-going phishing scam. The emails look very much like notice of a complaint from BBB, but contain links to malware that can infect your computer, steal passwords, etc. BBB is working with law enforcement, as well as with a private deactivation firm (at our own expense), to shut down as many criminal websites as possible. To date, we have shut down well over 100 sites.
If you get an email that looks like it is a BBB complaint, here is what you should do:
If you have a business and are not certain whether the complaint is legitimate, contact your local BBB (www.bbb.org/find).
- Do NOT click on any links or attachments.
- Read the email carefully for signs that it may be fake (for example, misspellings, grammar, generic greetings such as “Dear member” instead of a name, etc.).
- Be wary of any urgent instructions to take specified action such as “Click on the link or your account will be closed.”
- Hover your mouse over links without clicking to see if the address is truly from bbb.org. The URL in the text should match the URL that your mouse detects. If the two do not match, it is most likely a scam.
- Send a copy of the email to email@example.com (Note: This address is only for scams that use the BBB name or logo)
- Delete the email from your computer completely (be sure to empty your “trash can” or “recycling bin,” as well).
- Run anti-virus software updates frequently and do a full system scan.
- Keep a close eye on your bank statements for any unexpected or unexplained transactions.
# # #
BBB of New Hampshire is a non-profit organization that provides services and programs to assist consumers and businesses. The focus of BBB’s activities is to promote an ethical marketplace by encouraging honest advertising and selling practices. For additional information on Better Business Bureau services, visit Better Business Bureau’s Web site at www.concord.bbb.org call (603) 224-1991.