BBB Accredited Business since 08/12/2008

Daigle Pool Servicing Co. Inc.

06/17/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Pool closing / opening not done properly; substantial algae growth buildup - business owner offered no remedy.
We hired Daigle Servicing Company to close our pool in the fall of 2013 and open it this spring 2014. We paid approx $185 for the closing services and pre-paid $225 to open it. The pool was opened last Friday, May 9. Upon arriving home, I found the water to be completely brackish - it was impossible to see to the bottom (even the 3' deep end) of the pool due to algae growth. Additional algae / other growths were floating on the top of the water. The water level of the pool was several inches above the skimmer such that the skimmer was not 'skimming' / cleaning the top of the water. The filter was already so clogged full of algae that it was no longer pushing water. (Photos available upon request.) When my wife contacted Mr ******, he indicated that he would not send anyone to address the issues with the algae growth. When asked, he also indicated that he takes additional steps for his own personal pool (he said the water in his pool was 'crystal clear'), but that his 'guys don't upsell' when they are on-site to close the pool so we should have taken additional measures ourselves if we wanted something above and beyond their services. He also indicated that his company doesn't make site-specific chemical applications when closing / opening pools. He said they have a 'standard' amount of chemical that is used regardless of pool size / conditions. When I took a sample of our brackish water to a 3rd party pool supply on Saturday morning, their water test could not determine that any chemicals had been applied by Daigle the previous day, but I cannot confirm that with 100% certainty. It took us 7 complete filter changes, multiple times to vacuum / brush the pool over two and a half days in order to remove the algae buildup.

Refund of $225 pre-payment for pool opening. We feel the $185 paid in the fall more than pays for Daigle's Servicing Co's costs to actually close / open our pool, especially since he was unwilling to send anyone to remedy the problem / offer any help or advice to remove the algae growth.

We as a company have performed the job in which was purchased. Before owning my own company I worked for 2 other Pool store/ service operations. I am in my 20th year and have been opening and closing pools the same way since the first day. First and foremost how much a customer spends on a new pool install is irrelevant to the type of service they should expect. We treat all customers equally.

There was no issue with the pool closing. We closed over 700 pools in 2013. All pools are closed the same way. All In-Ground pools receive 3-lbs of shock and a 1/2 gallon of 10% algaecide. We do not test a pool at closing to check chlorine levels. If there was no chlorine in the water when we arrived the 3-lbs would last a couple of weeks. If the chlorine was at its proper level the added 3-lbs would keep a chlorine residual in the water for about 6 weeks. Which will then get the pool to where the water temperatures are cool enough that algae can not grow.

On to the pool opening. We are approaching over 500 openings this year thus far. Every pool is opened the same way. A pool opening is putting a pool back together and getting it into an operational state. We add 3-lbs of chlorine and a 1/2 Gallon of Algaecide. Cleaning the pool is a completely different job which has nothing to do with opening a pool.

We are 1 of the most aggressively priced pool stores for openings and closings. All jobs come with a predetermined amount of product built into the price. I could not have a set price if every job was to get a different amount of product. Mrs. ******* called me on my cell phone at approximately 7:30pm on a Friday night. I answered the call as I do 7 days a week. She expressed her dissatisfaction for the job. I asked what was wrong. She said the pool is green why didn't we clean it. I explained what she purchased.

What "SHE" believes a pool opening should be and what it really is are 2 different things. Her perception of what she wanted to come home to is not the reality of what the job is. She continued to bring up the cost of the job. I explained I would be more than happy to schedule a clean-to-clear service. It was very evident she would not want to spend the money for this service. Cleaning is not part of the job and I was not willing to send my team out multiple times for free to clean their pool because she perceived the job to be more than what it was.

Every pool is different as are people. My pool needs more product in the winter to stay clear. This is something I figured out over a period of a couple of seasons. More than 3/4 of our over 700 closings do not have us do anything more than what is included. Most are ok come spring. Some are clear, some are slightly hazy. Some are green and you can't see the 2nd step in the water.

It takes 48-72 hours to make a green pool clean.

This whole complaint is based on perception. We did our job for them as we have for every other customer. I have serviced over 3000 customers since 2006. This is only my second complaint. The last one was perception as well. I must be doing something right in order to keep all these clients happy. I will not refund money because someone wants me to do more than what is included.

P.S. they paid a smaller amount for closing because we had to install the safety cover as part of the pool install. So we gave them a discounted rate.

Swimming Pool Equipment & Supplies