Dan's City Auto Body

4 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 2 closed in last 12 months

12/18/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Charged us for a tow they did not complete due to their faulty equipment, tried to double charge us to complete the actual tow
Most horrid place to ever try to deal with.. called for a tow, sent a truck to tow our unit and the truck showed up, they put my unit on back and then left, they were stopped by local authorities minutes later for no brake lights, no safety chains or tie downs what so ever. rec'd call saying they only made it half mile before being stopped and were told they could not tow anymore with this truck until fit for the road, told us they would not let us take our unit back unless we still paid them for the tow even thought they did not tow it for us and they refused to drop our unit.. told us if they had to send another truck out to "do the tow properly" we would need to pay a second tow fee????? ARE YOU KIDDING ME????????????? BY FAR THE WORST CROOKS EVER!!! PAID FOR A TOW THAT NEVER HAPPENED DUE TO THEIR FAULTY EQUIPMENT, we want our 125.00 back for this service we paid for that was not provided. We attempted to speak to the owner *** who hid behind his very young daughter and would not take the call, instead he dictated to her over the phone what to say, I asked for the wife who was the one I initially talked to for the tow and she refused to take the call also. Was told pay or we will impound the unit. This is ILLEGAL and UNFAIR business practice!! Lets not even get into the ethical standpoint.

I would like the 125.00 we paid out for the tow that never happened

We did not have faulty equipment. We have done business with **** for years. He runs a towing company as well. He should understand that we do not show up on scene and not get paid. We have always been more than fair with him, charging him next to nothing on tows that he could be doing himself, but he would rather pay us cheap money and turn around and make a lot more on each tow for basically doing nothing. I am not sure who he is referring to, *** is not married and his Daughter is a grown woman who owns her own business. No clue who he thinks he spoke with. Our trucks are new and up to date. the issue was with tag lights, not defective equipment. He chose to send his own truck to pick it up and my driver sat and waited with his employee for him to arrive. Our time is money, just like his time. And I am glad that he admitted to ILLEGALLY recording a telephone call, I would love to hear that conversation so I could let our attorney know that he illegally recorded our call. You are required to let the person know you are recording the call prior to the conversation. Not many in this city will even do business with him. We are not refunding his money.

You Ms are a straight out LIAR! Look at your reviews online and you will clearly see where the lying is coming from. No one once ever said anything about recorded calls or anything even remotely close to that. Its just like you nasty people to make up lies when confronted with your numerous short comings. Charge me next to nothing? You charge the highest in the area for a tow plain and simple and you can down play that all you will. What you did was unconscionable and morally unethical but you already know that. Your truck WAS UNFIT FOR THE ROAD, we have also obtained the info from the Nashua Police dept in regard to the stop and why they truck was disallowed to move another inch towing a vehicle. It was DEFECTIVE EQUIPMENT ALL DAY LONG, worse part about it is you admit straight out that I have done much business with you, WHY WOULD YOU TREAT A LONGTIME PAYING CUSTOMER LIKE THAT?? Exactly my point, I paid for a service I DID NOT RECEIVE and you held my vehicle HOSTAGE until I paid you to drop it. That is EXTORTION! LOOK UP THE WORD. Showing up to a scene does not qualify you to play Gambini and take what you want from people by way of threats and shady business practices. YOU HAD NO RIGHT TO CHARGE US FOR A TOW YOU DID NOT DO!!! Nor did you have any right to yell at us, treat us poorly on the phone and ignore calls. You people ought to be ashamed but you would have to have souls to be ashamed. End result, you lost yet another customer, wouldn't do that too many more times as you don't have very many left.

I am sorry, but I am not going to go back and forth with ****. Online reviews are always bad when you tow someone that is illegally parked and they do not want to be towed. That is where bad reviews come from. Extortion?? Please! I even offered to send another truck down for you. Not having tag lights is not defective equipment. I am sorry that you do not have enough of your own tow trucks so that you can do your own towing instead of subletting it constantly. I have talked to several companies that say the same things about you. It is just sad that some stoop to this level to try and cause trouble for other companies. Losing customers? We have several customers that we have had relationships with for years. *** has been is business for "40" YEARS ****! How many towing companies in the area can say that!? Clearly you are just trying to start problems with another company. I am sorry that this is the way you do business.

07/30/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

My car was hooked up to the tow truck while I was unloading groceries. My hatch was open and I was bringing bags to the stoop of the apartment house.
On July 22,2015 I was not able to park in the street of my daughter's apartment building because of street work that was being done. I pulled into the parking lot of the building and unlocked my hatch and started taking bags of groceries and placing them on the stoop. As I was getting the last bag I noticed that my car was on a slant and that the tires were on the "fork lift" feet of a tow truck. This all happened within a matter of seconds at most as the whole unloading process only took 3 minutes. I asked the driver what he was doing and he pointed out the "no unauthorized parking allowed signs". My daughter has been living in the building for 7 years and I have off loaded countless bags of groceries over the years. I did not plan on "parking", in the lot and thought that I was totally within my rights. When I explained this to the tow truck driver, he smirked and said that he knew the law and that he was well within it. I called an officer over (the one who was supervising the road work and who in the past had told us to use the lot while the road was under construction) and he politely asked the driver to let my car go. The tow driver refused even when a lieutenant from the PD arrived on scene. The only word that comes to mind is"predator". Was the tow truck driver just waiting for someone to pull into the lot? I believe so, especially because he was nowhere in sight and the street was closed to through traffic.

I would like my $120 back since all he did was waste my time.

******** was parked in a lot that is "clearly" posted TENANT parking only all others will be towed. Her hatch was not open, the officer can even tell you that. According to the Police Department they never told anyone that they could park in the lot while road construction was be done. They do not have that authority. We are contracted by the property owner to do a job for them, and that is what we were doing. It is just like anyone else that works, you go to work daily and perform the job that you were hired to do. As always, people that can not follow the rules "THAT ARE CLEARLY POSTED" are always angry, and make a complaint, and want their money back. And the fee that she paid was $110.00 , NOT $120.00 and that fee is set by the city of Manchester. I will not refund her money, my employee was doing his job. The LT came to the scene and after speaking with my driver the woman was told that she would have to pay.

***'s doesn't even know what the sign says. Perhaps he should have his driver read it the next time he tries to tow a car with an open hatch or one with a child inside !!

We know exactly what the sign states. We put the signs up. We are not refunding the money, this woman is making up stories, she even lied and said she paid $120 for the tow. We did nothing wrong at all, we were doing our job that we are contracted to do. I have spoken with the property owner as well, and he is sticking by us 100% And what is she talking about now? We NEVER tow vehicles with children, adults or even animals in it. She parked directly under one of the many signs that are posted on the lot. The police even pointed out the signs to her and told her we were in the right to tow her. The signs read NO PARKING VIOLATORS WILL BE TOWED AT OWNERS EXPENSE. Next time before you park in a lot make sure you read the signs.

07/24/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I am writing to you on behalf of my sick elderly uncle. He lives at ******* ***** condos in ********** NH. He has lived there for over 20 years and pays his condo fee faithfully. He and other tenants have had their vehicles towed...even with a resident sticker. Dan's Towing in Manchester does not attempt to contact the resident, they simply tow vehicles and charge OUTRAGEOUS fees...over $500.00 to get vehicle back!! It is my opinion that this is criminal, their fees are EXTREMELY high.Maybe the owners (private) should also be held accountable, because they allow Dan's City Towing to "terrorize" the residents of ******* *****. This is unacceptable. Thank you for taking my concerns. I/we do not want other tenants of ******* ***** to continue to suffer the trauma that Dan's Towing has caused my elderly uncle.Sincerly,***** ******

Of course we would like to get my uncles car back. They are charging $65.00 per Day in additon to the towing cost !! It is not an honest nor fair price.We want to be treated fairly...no one is monitoring the owners of the condo or Dan's Towing.DON'T LET THESE PEOPLE GET AWAY WITH IT !!!

This gentleman was warned twice not to park where he was parking. The property managers had this vehicle towed. All of the tenants know the parking policies. They are allowed to park in visitor parking with a visitor tag for a MAXIMUM of 3 days. The first time we towed him he had been parked there for 9 days before they had him towed. When he picked his vehicle up we told him that he can not park back in there or they will have him towed again. He left our facility and went right back and parked in the same place again. Once again the manager called us and had it removed. And for the record, we have no way of contacting vehicle owners to let them know we are towing there cars. They live there and they know the rules. And our storage rate is $55.00 per day not $65.00. It is unfortunate that we are just doing a job that we are contracted to do and we always end up being the bad guys. If tenants followed the parking policy we would not have to tow them at all.

Thank you for your quick response. However, I find some of your remarks to be not true. When we arrived and paid your driver $650.00 to get car back..I asked him who called him to tow this car again. His response: "no one calls me, I PATROL the parking lot. Me and another driver take turns. Going back tonight to get/tow another car." Clearly a man on power trip who thoroughly enjoys what he does. My mistake on your storage fee, but I have to say $55.00 is not much better. If a tenant does violate parking policy, is it fair and honest to charge said person the equivalent of a mortgage payment to get vehicle back ?? That is the real issue here. Your fees are outrageous.
2nd..if you previously towed his car, then you knew who he was. He was in the hospital...maybe some human compassion on your part rather than dollar signs may have been a better decision. I ask you to treat the tenants of ************* FAIRLY and stop your price gouging. Thank you for your time.

I am sorry if that is what my driver told you. But, I am the one who spoke with ******* ***** regarding this car. Once again ALL of the tenants/owners know the policies. They know they will be towed if they do not follow them. We did tow his car previously, and he was told that if he parked back in the same place management would have him towed again. I am not sure why we are to blame for him going directly back to ******* ***** and parking it in the exact same place. Most people pick there car up the same day so there is no storage charged. Your Uncle clearly knew that parking his car there again after he had just picked it up would result in it being towed a second time. It really is pretty simple to just obey the policies and no one would be towed at all. Thank You for bringing your concerns to my attention.

03/17/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

My car was hooked to the tow truck while i was cleaning my car off. After I paid the driver $125 he still refused to release my car after 20 mins.
I was clearing snow off my car on Feb 19 at 5:30 am when a tow truck from this company backed up in front of my car and hooked it to the tow truck and lifted the car. While this was happening i knocked on the window of the tow truck and said i was right here and if he could lower my car he said it would be $125. After explaining to the driver that i was standing next to my car he said that it didn't matter and it would cost $125 to lower it. That day I had work at 6:30 and explained it to the driver and he said that he could just take the car and i would have to pay $165. There were other cars in the parking lot but i was the only person there at the time and told him he could just tow other cars but he said if he let me go i would just move the car and he would get no money and became very rude and was trying to get a reaction out of me. Having no choice i went into my house and gave him the money. When i returned with the money he was on his phone and was just ignoring me and when i tried to talk to him he rolled his window up on me and left my car on the tow truck while other people drove their cars out of the lot. Having knocked on his window a number of times he rolled it down i gave him the money and he kept my car on the truck for at least 20 mins arguing with me because i told him he has my money and to drop my car. When he finally left i called the number that was on the receipt and the woman who answered the phone started yelling at me and would not let me speak she was not there and did not know what happened. Later that day i called and asked to speak to a manger or someone in charge the man on the phone said why i told him what happened he said i yelled at his driver like a "crazy person" then he just hung up on. After that experience i know that i will probably not get my money back and felt i was targeted because i was at my car and the driver must have thought he could get the money easier out of me since i was already at the car. The driver just ignored me when i was knocked on his window and was trying to get his attention. This company does not practice good customer service and the people who answer the phone are not interested in anything you have to say and when i called i was just yelled at and the hung up on.

I would like my money back

*******'s car along with 5 other cars were called into us by management to be towed for snow removal. Her car was the last one we hooked up to in this lot. This was the second time *******'s car was towed for snow removal because she refuses to move it for the plow truck. Her car was already being towed out of the parking lot when she came running into the street and started banging on the window. At this time my driver was on the phone with me and I could hear the banging. When he put the window down all you could hear was ******* screaming and swearing at my driver. She continued to hit the tow truck. My driver told her that he would pull back into the lot and release the vehicle and she would have to pay $125.00 which is the rate set by the City Of Manchester. She continued to have her temper tantrum. She then stood in front of her car refusing to move. That is why my driver had to sit there and wait for her to decide if she was paying for her car or if we would need to call the police to come over and assist. That being said she finally decided to pay for her car. The car was immediately released and my driver went on his way. She then called me and started threatening me. She said that she would come meet me at work and beat my face in until my face needed over $125.00 of work to it. I then told her I would call the police and tell them she is threatening bodily harm to me if she ever called me again. Unfortunately, when anyone has their car towed during snow removal they are angry. There is always a confrontation of some sort. My drivers and I have been assaulted numerous times. We are not refunding her money. We did nothing wrong.

Auto Body Repair & Painting