This spring and summer, when consumers open their newspaper, mailbox or even their own front door they will find flyers, ads and offers galore prompting them to get their yard and trees in shape.
There are many reputable companies that conduct these services, but there will be many more passing through to make a quick buck this season.
Since March, over 1,100 BBB Business Reviews have been provided to consumers checking up on landscaping contractors. This puts the industry at number 10 (Ten) on the BBB’s top-most inquired about business categories for March through mid-May.
“With so many people requesting these reviews, it’s important to us to highlight more advice about the industry and how to make the best decisions to ensure a trustworthy transaction with a landscaping company,” said Jim Camp, President and CEO of the BBB Serving Central SC and Charleston.
The BBB offers the following tips to consumers when choosing a landscaper:
· Know that if the landscaper is going to treat your lawn with certain products are chemicals; they need to be licensed to do so. Verify this directly with Clemson University/Department of Pesticide Regulation and check with your city and county to see if there are any requirements with them as well.
· Get at least three different estimates.
· Ask for references and follow up with them.
· Follow the BBB’s door-to-door rule of thumb: Do not make a decision on the spot, take the company’s information and tell them you’ll contact them after you’ve research them if you are interested. DO NOT FALL FOR HIGH-PRESSURE TACTICS.
· As always, read contracts and anything you sign very carefully and do not make large down payments.
Be sure to visit the BBB Accredited Business Directory for landscapers and hundreds of business categories in our community you can Trust!