In Central South Carolina and Charleston

03/26/2013Guarantee / Warranty Issues
09/12/2011Problems with Product / Service
09/10/2013Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Sales presentation not consistent with advertisement

Complaint: Their recommended work didn't fix the problem.Per their crew leader, the work they were doing wouldn't fix the problem we asked them to evaluate.
I requested that Mt Valley come to my house to evaluate a problem that we had with our chimney and window. There representative *** ****** came out on 3/28/12 and looked at our house and we showed him the problem. The chimney on the inside of the house was separating from the molding. After looking at the house, he gave us a quote of $8800 and a diagram of the work to be completed. Mr. ****** did not go under the house as I thought he should to see if there was a problem with the chimney itself. After months of trying to get the money to have this done, I contacted Mr. ****** and told him we needed to get the work done. I had to borrow from my equity line of credit to have this done. I signed the contract on 9/17/12. The crew came out on 9/26/12 to start the work. On day 2 they discovered that the chimney needed a foundation poured before they could install the piers around the chimney. When the crew leader came in the tell my husband what needed to be done, my husband said that we just wanted to do what was needed to fix the separation around the chimney. He was surprised when this person said that the work they were doing would not fix that problem at all and that it would be the same when they left as it was when they arrived. My husband told him that they were going to have an unhappy customer (referring to myself). At that point the crew leader called the general manager, ***** ****** Mr. ***** came out and by then the crew had discovered that we had a rotted floor joist. Mr. ***** told the crew to fix the floor joist and at that point the chimney moved back into place. However; the crew continued to install the remaining 4 piers ($800 each) as recommended from Mr. ********* estimate.
I contacted Mr. ***** and asked if we could meet to discuss the situation as I felt that Mr. ****** had given us an estimate just to do work and was not concerned about the real issue. We made several appointments that Mr. ***** was not able to keep for one reason or another. It was the week after Christmas that he finally made it to our house. I explained to him what my complaint was and that I felt their company owed me a refund. He stated that I had signed the contract, but I explained to him that I signed the contract based on his representative telling me that the recommended work was needed to fix the problem we had. In the end he agreed with what I said. He also stated that he was embarrassed and would not have expected someone from his company to give an estimate without making sure they could fix the problem. He told us that he would go back to the owner Mr. ***** and explain the situation and get back in touch with me. I waited and did not hear from him. When I sent him an email he sent back a blunt reply saying they could not refund money on piers that had been installed. I am very unhappy with this situation. I had to borrow the money to pay for this work, trusting that they were going to fix the problem I would have appreciated Mr. ****** evaluating the situation and letting me know that we had the rotted floor joist and not just estimate work for them to make money.
Mr. ***** the owner of Mt. Valley advertises their company on the radio station that I listen to every day. It makes me upset to hear him say that they have been in busy for a long time and they will give you an honest, professional analysis that will solve your problem without wasting your time. I do not feel that they handled my problem neither honestly and certainly not professionally after the fact. They wasted a lot of my money and I don't appreciate this kind of treatment from their company/

Mount Valley consultant *** ****** met with Mr. and Mrs. ******* on March 28, 2012 to assess damage to the foundation of their home. Mr. ****** identified foundation settlement of the chimney as well as settlement along the right rear side of the home. The settlement was visibly apparent by separation of the chimney, cracking brick veneer, separation at window brick moulds, and movement of soffit frieze boards. All very common indicators of foundation settlement. These conditions were pointed out and discussed with the *******'s. Upon completion of his assessment Mr. ****** prepared a contract to stabilize the areas of settling foundation. This included the chimney and right rear side of the home, plainly indicated with a drawing on the contract. Almost six months after receiving the contract the *******'s contacted Mount Valley to proceed with the work. The contract was signed and dated by the *******'s. After beginning work it was discovered that the chimney had been constructed without a concrete footing. The *******'s were informed that it would be necessary to construct a new footing in order to stabilize the chimney. At that time Mr. ******* pointed out separation of interior trim work around the chimney to the Mount Valley crew leader. The crew leader of course informed Mr. ******* that this was cosmetic damage created by settlement of the chimney. The work being performed by Mount Valley would stabilize the chimney but would not correct cosmetic damages. Mr. ******* seemed to understand. It was then discovered that a section of rotted floor joist was present under the hearth of the chimney, as a good will gesture Mount Valley repaired the joist at no cost to the *******'s.

Mount Valley completed the scope of work defined in our contract signed and dated by the *******'s. If the *******'s had only wanted the chimney stabilized they would have made us aware of that before signing a contract, which clearly indicated the scope of work. After all they had almost six months to make a decision. This is a simple a case of buyer's remorse. It should also be noted that the *******'s have never paid Mount Valley for the additional footing installed under the chimney.

We will be more than happy to provide you with copies of the contract, drawings, and photo's.

I totally understand that the separation of the molding was not the problem. And again I will state that nothing that they did in terms of fixing the foundation, fixed or even made any change in the problem with the chimney. The repair of the floor joist did. To me that should have been identified upfront and made known to us so that we could have had that repaired to see if we wanted any other work done. However; the evaluation never mentioned that; only because a thorough evaluation was NOT done. Regardless if there were foundation problems that needed to be fixed, at the time we requested their evaluation that was not what we wanted to address. Their response stated that they 'offered a scope of repair', the work they performed did NOT repair any part of the problem. Not just with the chimney but it did nothing to make any difference in the window problems either. They have also referred to the contract each time. Our signing the contract was to have work done that they recommended to fix the problem presented. Yes we signed a contract but a contract must be signed for them to do any work. I saw the scope of work indicated on the contract but expected that to be the work that needed to be done to FIX what we wanted fixed. Another statement in their response is questionable.. 'has protected the value and structural integrity of the home'; there is no way I consider this a valid statement. There is no visible change. Except for some new cracks inside. I didn't need more cracks. I can also provide pictures of the chimney that still is not back in position as I wanted and expected when the work was completed. My problem with Mt Valley is that they did not listen to the potential customer at the time of the evaluation nor or they concerned about the customer after the work is done. Yes they had a signed contract and that appears to be all they have to fall back on. They are not concerned with customer satisfaction. When Mr. ***** visited with us after the work was done to listen to my concerns, when he left he was in agreement that our situation was not handled properly. Most companies that do work of any kind want to be sure the customer is satisfied with the work. The reputation of any business is dependent on customer satisfaction. Satisfied customers promote businesses that are concerned about making sure they have done what is best for the customer. Mt. Valley has not.

I feel that I have not been treated fairly in this situation.

The molding separated around the face of the chimney due to settlement of the chimneys foundation. The molding separation was not the problem; it was a result of the problem. At the time of our assessment extensive foundation settlement was also observed along the entire rear wall of the home. We will be happy to provide you with pictures documenting the cracked brick and window separations. Therefore, our consultant of course pointed this out to the homeowners and offered a scope of repair. At no point was it ever suggested that the entire rear wall needed to be stabilized in order to stabilize the chimney.
The work that Mount Valley performed was needed and has protected the value and structural integrity of the home. The scope of work was clearly indicated on the contract signed and executed by the homeowners.

Complaint Resolution: BBB determined that despite the company's reasonable effort to address complaint issues, the consumer remained dissatisfied.

11/01/2011Problems with Product / Service

Foundation Contractors, Contractor - Crawl Space, Home Improvements, Contractors-General