BBB Accredited Business since 06/01/1999

Sumter Chrysler Dodge Jeep and Ram

7 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 1 closed in last 12 months

08/04/2016Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

Dealership covered check engine light instead of correcting issue as agreed upon for sale.
On 9/6/15 I visited the dealership to purchase a 2008 RHD Jeep Wrangler for my job with the USPS. Our salesperson, Len, noticed the check engine light was on before our arrival and informed us and maintenance that the issue was to be resolved before purchase was completed. We returned the following day to pick up the vehicle and all issues we addressed seemed to have been resolved so we completed the sale. About a week later, I noticed while driving the vehicle in the dark, there was a faint glow on the dashboard. After further inspection, I realized the dealership had placed a piece of black tape between the plastic covering of the gauges and the check engine light. We immediately contacted the dealership and were put in contact with business manager, *** ********** We expressed our disappointment that this was how they chose to run their business. He asked that we bring the vehicle in for the chance to solve the issue correctly. The mechanics came to the conclusion that since replacing the O2 sensor did not fix the light, it must be a problem with the main wiring harness. They ordered the parts necessary to replace it and asked me to bring it by when convenient. I also addressed the issue that all of the gauges on the dash were off and I assumed this happened when the mechanic removed the cluster to cover the light. *** brushed this off in lieu of the bigger problem at hand, though. I was unable to leave the vehicle with them until 1/18/16 due their lack of appointments and my work schedule. I was told it would be a day job and they would correct all issues I had mentioned. I later found out that they were cutting the pay of the mechanic who covered the light to do this job and that he left "sick" the day I dropped the vehicle off. The day job turned into a week and I missed work because of it. I also told them I did not want the mechanic who did that to work on my vehicle but that didn't seem to matter. When I finally received the call that the job was done, I was informed that the harness did not correct the problem but they did remove the tape so there is only glue covering the light now. The did not attempt to fix the gauges as I asked, either. The following day, I used the vehicle for work and was now experiencing a loud noise when braking as well as my transmission would not shift out of low gear. The dealership asked me to bring the Jeep back in. Turns out the mechanic I did not want working on my vehicle, had installed a bracket backwards causing the loud noise. The shifting issue was not addressed since it took 3-4 hours for them to figure out the noise. I talked to *** while waiting about the gauges being wrong and he said that it was "just time for them to be off" and left it at that. I felt I was no longer getting anywhere with trying to resolve these issues with the dealership. I looked back over my paperwork and now that I know the issue this vehicle has, I noticed on the Carfax that the previous owner traded it because of these problems and the dealership was fully aware when selling it to me. In hindsight, the dealership knew about this problem all along; they did not correct it, did not disclose it, and then used deceptive practices in order to sell it. After I continued having trouble with the transmission (which turned out to be because the harness was replaced by they didn't reflash the computer- probably damaging the transmission for a month before addressed) I was put in contact with ******* ****** who promised to correct all the issues. After getting the transmission issue solved, he has yet to return my calls to find a solution for the overall/initial issue.

I am now looking to receive a full refund of the purchase price of the vehicle. I have given them numerous opportunities to correct the problem and have been treated very poorly in the process. I've explained to them that this vehicle will not pass inspection in my home state and I will not be able to sell or register it there so without the problem solved, it can be of no use to me. My hopes are that in reselling the vehicle, they either correct the problem or are honest about it for the future buyer so they at least have the opportunity to make the decision if this is something they can use. For me and moving, it's not and I was never given the opportunity to decide for myself.

Repurchased vehicle from customer

They agreed to my desired resolution and have bought the vehicle back from me.

05/18/2015Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

Purchased the car from NJ as new. It was presented as in perfect shape. Made my pre-pay. After 13-hour drive, saw that it had may flaws.
I called Sumter to inquire about a convertible Chrysler 200 2014. They informed me that the car was on the showroom floor and in perfect nick. I paid for the car and drove 13 hours to pick it up.
Once there, the door had a large ding, the inside panel was cracked and the car was very dirty.
It took them 5 hours to clean and do the paperwork. The gave me $250 for the outside door ding. They guaranteed me that Chrysler would replace the inside door panel as part of the guaranty.
I just returned yesterday night from a local Chrylser dealer who inquired with the Chrysler corp who flat out denied the replacement. The cost is $800 for labor $499 and part 250 plus taxes.
Dealing with Sumter was a horrible experience.

I want them to refund me for the cost of the door panel including labor and taxes.

Talked to customer today, we will send him a check for $800 to satisfy the problem. customer was happy with this.

04/06/2015Problems with Product / Service