BBB Accredited Business since 01/23/2013

Maaco

5 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 0 closed in last 12 months

12/23/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I took my car in on November 25th for painting and was assured that it would be ready on November 29th. It was not ready for me to pick up. I was then told that it would be ready the next day and I would be compensated for the inconvenience. It was not ready the next day, Saturday, November 30th. I was then told that it would be ready on Monday, December 2nd. On Monday when I called, I was told it was not ready. My wife called later, and she was asked to wait until the next day. She then stated that it was needed for work the next day. I was told that I could pick it up a 4:30 P.M.When I went in to get the car the business refused to give me compensation for the inconvenience that they caused.

I would like to receive reasonable monetary compensation for the delay, stress, and inconvenience that this has caused.

Mr. ******* dropped his vehicle off in the afternoon on Monday November 25th for surface repairs and an overall paint service. In order to accommodate Mr. *******'s budget, Maaco significantly discounted the repair, materials, fees, and paint service by over $100. At that time, we told Mr. ******* that we would try to complete the vehicle by end of day Friday Nov 29th. Completion dates are estimates, and with the short work week due to Thanksgiving we would do our best.

We do not run the shop on Saturday - only the office is open. So when Mr. ******* called on Saturday he was told that it would not be ready until Monday.

When Mr. ******* came in on Monday, his vehicle was ready. He looked the vehicle over and was pleased with the work. Mr. ******* then refused to pay his bill stating that he wanted an "inconvenience" discount. He stated that the total bill price was "the Friday price" and he wanted "the Monday price". I explained that with the short week, we missed the Friday estimate. but it was an ESTIMATED completion date. Mr ******* then called the police demanding an "inconvenience discount". Two police cruisers were dispatched to my shop. The police officers also explained to Mr. ******* my position that this repair order has already been discounted over $100 when he agreed to the price. Mr. ******* then demanded that my employees pay for the "inconvenience discount", which we declined. Mr. ******* looked over the vehicle again and was pleased with the work - even telling the police officers that he was pleased with the work. After about an hour of talking with the police officers and me, Mr. ******* paid his bill and left.

Mr. ******* then called Maaco Customer Service demanding an "inconvenience discount". Mr. ******* also told the customer service representative that he was pleased with the work, but wanted an additional discount.

In summary - Maaco strives to work with our customers to accommodate their needs. In the case of Mr. *******, the paint service and repairs were significantly discounted to accommodate his budget. The work was completed as agreed to the satisfaction of Mr. *******. As we don't run the shop on the weekend, Mr. *******'s ESTIMATED completion was missed by only several hours of workday time. I am not offering additional discounts.

This is exactly what I expected from a business that fails to address the real issue. I was promised an adjustment to my bill of three hundred ninety dollars and ninety cents. It is not good for business when the management does not keep their promises. My vehicle did not have any "repairs" made, so what was discounted over one hundred dollars?

When Mr. ******* called the police department and demanded a discount, and the officers came to this location - they requested that I write another estimate at the full price so that they could also show Mr. ******* what discounts he already received. The officers then requested that I highlighted the discounts with a yellow marker so that they could better explain this to Mr. *******. This task was completed and the highlighted copy was provided by the officers to Mr. ******* AND they explained the discounts to him.

The Universal Sealer was discounted by 60% from our posted price. The paint service was discounted by 15% from our posted price. The materials were discounted by 77% as indicated on the repair order. The Environmental fee was discounted by 75% from our posted price.

The repairs that Mr. ******* denied receiving are listed on the repair order under "Body Repair Work" with a description of "strip old peeling clearcoat off rest of top surfaces". This surface repair, although subjective, was also discounted.

At no time did I offer Mr. ******* a further adjustment of his bill. I am the only person that can authorize discounts off a final bill. I interviewed my employees and all state that they did not offer Mr. ******* additional discounts to his bill. My employees and I also made these same statements to Mr. ******* and the police officers when he picked up the vehicle.

09/06/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

My 2004 Nissan Maxima was painted burgundy instead of red as it originally was and and two dings were left in the door.
On August 1st I took my 2004 Maxima to Maaco located at 2465 Decker Blvd Columbia, SC 29206. I spoke with ***** about painting my vehicle. I walked the car and asked for the knicks,dings and scratches to be removed and he agreed. On a service ticket was written and I was asked to sign for the work to begin. I was given a quote of $899.20 for a base coat clear coat finish that match my red color. On 8/9/13 I picked my car up and noticed that there where two dings in the door and I was told it was not listed on the work order and would have only cost $50.00 extra to fix at the time of repair. None of this was discussed while I was being sold on a more expensive paint job. I asked how much it was going to cost to fix this issue and was told bluntly by ***** "Too much"! He never gave me a solution except for me to take the car to a dent repair facility and have them remove it. I requested to speak with the owner (*****)and he acted as if he care less and said bluntly it is not on the work order we already gave you a deal. So I paid because they had my car behind the gate with it locked to ensure I would take it. After, I paid and was able to get the car I noticed that the paint did not match at all. Upon opening the door you can see clearly that my car was red and now is burgundy. It's horrible! I called a law office on 8/15/13 and they suggested I file a complaint first and then try and resolve the issue with the company. I also contacted Maaco corporate office on 8/9/13 and was told they could do nothing about it because the owner had already rendered his discision.

I am looking for a full refund as I will need to get my car painted the right color and the remaining dings removed. I am willing to have the car repainted the right color as I did not authorize a color change and have the dings repaired.

The consumer dropped his vehicle off for repair and worked with the estimator to identify the desired repairs. A work order was written to repair scratches on both sides of the vehicle - no other repairs were requested or authorized. The dings in question were not identified by the customer and even now with fresh paint can only be seen from certain angles - they are not readily visible. Clearly stated in the repair order "notice to customer" that the customer signed is the following statement: "Only repairs described on the repair order will be performed. Imperfections such as painted over nicks, chips, and scratches may be visible in the new paint are deemed acceptable unless identified by the customer and authorized for repair. Dents, scratches, peeling paint, dings, etc. that are not detailed in the estimate will remain and are NOT covered under warranty." While disappointed with the dings, the customer stated that he was very satisfied with the paint finish and color when he picked up the vehicle. The customer was informed that a Paintless Dent Repair technician could easily remove the dings and avoid bodywork and repainting.

The Customer paid for the authorized repairs and stated that he was going to call Maaco Customer Service, the BBB, and berate my business on social media.

On or about Thursday 8-15 customer called and said the vehicle was "completely the wrong color". I asked for the customer to bring the vehicle to me look over. On or about Friday 8-15 he brought the vehicle in. There is a slight variation in the color. The variation is so slight that the customer did not notice any difference for several days. Again, as stated in the repair order is: "Maaco is able to match most paint colors but there may be minor variations from the original color. Manufacturers color variations, spray environment (air pressure, temperature, humidity) and condition of existing paint can all cause slight variations in paint color."

Based on the above, I feel that we completed the repair order as authorized.

I advised the customer that I would mix another paint sample to confirm that the paint was mixed correctly for the code on the vehicle. I also advised the customer that if I did repaint the vehicle, that he would need to identify the dings to be repaired and we would charge appropriately based on what he identified.

On Sunday, 8-18 at about 7:30 PM the customer dropped off the vehicle. The customer came in Monday morning 8-19 with the key.

As stated above, the vehicle was repaired as authorized by the customer and he was satisfied with the work, and when he picked it up, was also satisfied with the color. The customer was not satisfied that we did not perform unauthorized work.

As for the color, I advised the customer that I would remix the paint to verify the color put on his vehicle before rendering any decision on a respray.

01/21/2013Guarantee / Warranty Issues