BBB Business Review
This Business is not BBB accredited
The Rayne Foundation
BBB Business Reviews may not be reproduced for sales or promotional purposes.
This business is not BBB accredited.
Businesses are under no obligation to seek BBB accreditation, and some businesses are not accredited because they have not sought BBB accreditation.
To be accredited by BBB, a business must apply for accreditation and BBB must determine that the business meets BBB accreditation standards, which include a commitment to make a good faith effort to resolve any consumer complaints. BBB Accredited Businesses must pay a fee for accreditation review/monitoring and for support of BBB services to the public.
Reason for Rating
BBB rating is based on 16 factors. Get the details about the factors considered.
Factors that lowered the rating for The Rayne Foundation include:
- BBB concerns with the industry in which this business operates
- BBB does not have sufficient background information on this business
Customer Complaints Summary
|Complaint Type||Total Closed Complaints|
|Problems with Product/Service||0|
|Total Closed Complaints||0|
Additional Complaint Information
This company first came to the attention of the Cleveland BBB in November of 2007. At that time a local consumer received an e-mail reply to an online employment posting. Allegedly representing the United Kingdom-based, Rayne Foundation, the solicitation offered a work-at-home employment opportunity.
The company would send Cashiers Checks, Travelers Checks and Money Orders to the consumer with instructions to deposit the funds into their personal checking account. As compensation, the consumer was to deduct 10% of the funds before sending the remaining 90% to a company representative, allegedly located in the African country of Ghana, via Western Union.
Based upon online research conducted by the Cleveland BBB, there is a company known as the Rayne Foundation. However, this employment opportunity has no affiliation with that company. That company's website, www.raynefoundation.org.uk, contains a warning about fraudulent e-mails which look authentic and reference employment opportunities. Noting they are NOT legitimate, the company advises recipients to ignore any such e-mail and to NOT correspond with the sender.
Consumers should be aware the above scenario is not uncommon. Bogus foreign companies advertise in various online help wanted websites with claims to be looking for import / export specialists, marketing managers and financial managers. As with the situation in this report, job seekers are asked to forward money from one account to another or to reship stolen merchandise to overseas companies as part of their employment duties. Consumers who respond to the ads are told that the employer is in a foreign country and needs an American contact to handle its business in the U.S.
Please Note: Due to the uncertainty of this company's whereabouts, the complaints noted in this report have been closed as unpursuable. This does not mean they are out of business, only that they cannot be located.
The BBB offers the following tips to help job seekers avoid these types of scams:
Avoid job listings that use these descriptions: "package forwarding," "reshipping," "money transfers," "wiring funds" and "foreign agent agreements." These and similar phrases should raise a red flag.
Do not be fooled by official-sounding corporate names. Some scam artists operate under names that sound like those of long-standing, reputable firms.
Never forward or transfer money from any of your personal accounts on behalf of your employer. Also, be suspicious if you are asked to "wire" money to an employer. If a legitimate job requires you to make money transfers, the money should be withdrawn from the employer's business account, not yours.
Do not give out your personal financial information. A potential legitimate employer will not request your bank account, credit card or Paypal account number. Only provide your banking information if you are hired by a legitimate company and you choose to have your paycheck direct deposited.
Do not fax copies of your ID or Social Security number to someone you have never met. Credit checks and fake IDs can be obtained with this information. Only give these documents to your employer when you are physically at the place of employment.
If you have questions about the legitimacy of a job listing, contact the BBB online at www.bbb.org or the Federal Trade Commission online at www.ftc.gov.
Customer Reviews Summary Read customer reviews
|Customer Experience||Total Customer Reviews|
|Total Customer Reviews||0|
Business ManagementMr. Steven Reaves, Director Mr. Ronald Benita
Advance Fee Brokers