Educational Consumer Tips
When considering a long distance moving company, consider the following:
* How long it has been in business
* Does it offer extra services, such as packing, unpacking, or storage.
* What kind of protection you will have against loss or damage.
* Does the company offer arbitration for claims disputes.
* How well the company meets its delivery schedule.
* Ask two or three of the movers you are considering to come to your home and give you an estimate of how much the move will cost. This service is usually free. **Never get an estimate over the phone.
** Final charges are required to be based on the weight of the goods and actual services performed. However, the mover cannot require you to pay more than the amount of the original estimate plus ten percent at the time of delivery.
** The estimator should:
List any items not to be included in the shipment, such as a kitchen range or refrigerator. Make note if unloading involves use of an elevator, hoisting, moving unusually heavy articles like a piano, a long haul from house to van or other conditions which will add to the cost. List charges for additional services, such as appliance servicing, storage or packing, if desired.
* It is important to remember that the care with which goods are packed determines the shape they will arrive in. Therefore, if you pack yourself, be sure the containers are strong and can withstand being stacked one on top of the other. Keep in mind that all tops must be sealed and taped shut.
* Before packing or loading anything the mover will prepare an inventory which should list all the goods that are moved and give a description of each one. You will receive a copy of this and should keep it for reference when the goods are unloaded.
* Give the mover at least 30 to 45 days notice and some choice of moving days.
* Accompany the mover when the inventory is taken.
* If you must file a claim, the moving company must respond within 30 days, and settle with 120 days.
Rate this tipRate this tip by choosing the stars below.