Educational Consumer Tips
Better Business Bureau
- Be skeptical of claims about the health benefits of duct cleaning. These claims may be unsubstantiated by scientific and medical communities.
- Research companies and get written estimates from several businesses before paying a duct cleaning service.
- Ask for references. Check the Better Business Bureau for any complaints filed against the business.
- Be aware that Ohio currently does not require air duct cleaners to hold special licenses.
- If a company claims that mold has been found, conduct a visual inspection yourself. Unless a substantial amount of mold is visible, cleaning may be unnecessary.
- Confirm the presence of mold in your air ducts with another source. Don't rely solely on the in-home test the air duct cleaner may conduct.
- Check with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency for guidelines on having your air ducts cleaned.
Rate this tipRate this tip by choosing the stars below.