In Chicago and Northern Illinois

04/08/2013Advertising / Sales Issues
11/20/2012Guarantee / Warranty Issues
05/16/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Failure to honor a contract or agreement

Complaint: In 2004 or 2005 I purchased from Wisthoff a treadmill for approximately $3,000. As we were planning our move to Tennessee, I contacted Wisthoff to ask if they were interested in purchasing the unit back. Although the treadmill was only used for maybe a couple of hours total, Wisthoff agreed to take the unit. A man named ******* from Wisthoff advised me that I had two options; one, they would purchase the unit outright for $500-$600; or, two, they would sell the unit on consignment and I would net approximately $660. I was told by ******* that they would have no problem selling the unit within six months. Based on these representations, I elected to sell the unit on consignment. After not hearing anything from them, I began calling Wisthoff a few months later. I spoke with ******* on a number of occasions, and was advised by him many times that he thought the unit would sell "in the next couple of weeks." I would check back every few weeks and this answer remained constant. Near the end of 2013, ******* advised me that the unit was sold and they anticipated it being out the door by the new year. I called back in mid-January and was told that the unit had not been sold, and ******* reverted back to his old response that it would be sold in the next couple of weeks. By February, ******* stopped answering the phone, those who answered would tell me that ******* was not available, and ******* stopped returning my messages and voicemails. About two weeks ago, I was informed by *** from Wisthoff that the unit was sold and no longer in their possession, but that he could not provide me information as to when I could expect payment. *** did, however, advise me that they planned on sending me a check for $500 (well below what I had been told I would receive.) On Friday March 7, *** told me to call ******* on Saturday March 8 and ask about the timing and the amount of payment. I called and left ******* a voicemail on Saturday March 8. I have not heard back from anyone at Wisthoff since then.

Contact Name and Title: *****************
Contact Phone: **********
Contact Email: *************************
First of all we always encourage our customers keep their old machines or to sell on their own only because our goal is to sell new machines and we don't like to take on the liability of older machines; however, if a customer needs help we do try to sell their older machines; yet, selling an older machine versus our new machines will usually take longer because this is a last option pending on our client needs, price point and brand purchase. When we take on a consigned piece we negotiate 70% for our customer and 30% for our time, warranty, detailing, break down and pick up fee. For this particular customer we did try to sell the machine for more money for numerous sales of their machine but ended up selling the machine for only $700, hence the reason for the payment of $500. Again we can never promise when the machine will sell and for how much. This machine was purchase in 2004 and was an older machine. We did everything in our power to sell it for a decent, honorable price to other customers. We tried to do it in a timely manor as well--but nothing can be promised but the honored percent that we give to our customers on a pick up invoice (again that is 70%). We had the machine in our possession in mid 2013 and sold it near the beginning of 2014. When our sales associate speaks to the client, ************ and states that it could sell, this would be due to the fact that they have a potential buyer--yet, again, a potential buyer is just that a 'potential buyer'. We do what we can to help our customers and we try to be fair about everything we do. Lastly in response to us not answering the phone--we always get back to our customers as soon as we have time to do so. We always corresponded with ***** and went over all the numbers with him. He could call us anytime and we'd go over anything with him again. He is a good customer and we did everything within our power to make him happy! Finally our customer was paid the promised amount of 70% owed. Please call or write if you have any questions. Thanks

Initial Consumer Rebuttal
The only documentation I received is attached, which specifically indicates "consigning unit will net appx $660 to the end user." It was based on this representation that I waited to be paid for the unit instead of accepting the quoted $500-600 (also noted on this receipt) immediately after they picked it up. The fact that the unit did not sell for more should not be my problem - if the deal was 70/30 and they thought there was risk of paying me significantly less than the $660, they should have put it in writing. It was not until after I filed this complaint did the company send me a check with the wrong spelling of my last name and the wrong state. I will be cashing this check (hopeful that the check will clear given the wrong payee info), but reserve the right to recover the remaining balance due and any additional amount and/or attorney fees that the local court may award. Their responses to the fact that since February my calls were never returned ("we always get back to our customers as soon as we have time to do so") and that they did not stick to the agreement ("we did everything within our power to make him happy!") are not truthful and therefore are not the responses that I would expect from a business rated "A+" by the BBB.

Complaint Resolution: BBB determined the company made a reasonable offer to resolve the issues, but the consumer did not accept the offer.

Exercise Equipment & Machines - Sales, Exercise Equipment & Machines - Service & Repair, Exercise & Physical Fitness Programs, Internet Shopping