In Chicago and Northern Illinois

BBB Accredited Business since 03/01/2010

Mr. Handyman of Lincoln Park

11/14/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Inappropriate behavior by customer service personnel

Complaint: The serviceman arrived 3 hours late, and documented a start time that was inaccurate. He then snapped at me for clarifying the start time. He spent 3.5 hours caulking a small shower, when I only asked him to remove and replace the clear caulk along the shower door. He failed to complete caulking the area where the glass door meets the porcelain. Part of my request was for my sinks to be rodded out. He poured a chemical down the drain, acknowledged that it was probably something that needed to be rodded out, and then left. He took two cigarette breaks while on the clock (and at our expense). The overall experience with this company was despicable.

The woman answering the phone is unprofessional and rude. I have used this company before for the same service and it was completed in one third of the amount of time that this man spent and for a much more reasonable rate. We feel that this serviceman purposefully spent an excessive amount of time on this project so that he could bill more hours. Five Hundered and forty dollars to have a small portion of a shower caulked and a chemical poured down a drain is exorbitant and fraudlent.

We spoke to Mr *********** on 9/5 and offered to refund a portion of the invoice as a gesture of good will, which he agreed was acceptable.

You have not made an offer that is satisfactory to us based on the 'service' that we recevied from Mr. Handyman. I will sign nothing of this nature. I asked for a full refund and you have offered less than 50%. Again, we had to hire and pay another service to fix the ridiculous work that your 'handyman' attempted. You have absolutely no business suggesting that I sign something that relinquishes any of my rights to you.

I will agree as a final offer to refund $225. In exchange for this refund, we will agree that the matter is settled once and for all. No warranty is provided for any work based on your failure to pay the full amount of the bill. This is a confidential settlement agreement and may not be disclosed to anyone and you will not talk about my company to anyone or post any comments anywhere including any web sites. Should we discover any evidence to the contrary, this agreement will be considered void and we will pursue collections and your property will be liened for the original $540 minus the refund amount. Please print this statement, sign it indicating your agreement to these terms and send it to our office to receive your refund.

Complaint Resolution: BBB determined the company made a reasonable offer to resolve the issues, but the consumer did not accept the offer.

Contractors - General