Chicago and Northern Illinois

Galaxie Enterprise Holdings LLC

3 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 3 closed in last 12 months

09/09/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Delayed completion of service

Complaint: Work was commissioned to be done by a specific date, and work is still not completed several months later (3 months). There have been several attempts to contact the company, with slow or little responses. Damage has been done, and garbage has remained on my property for several weeks. Multiple construction day appointments were made and cancelled by workers to the inconvenience of my professional externship and schooling. Damage to my property happened with little concern of the company. Construction materials were disposed of improperly on my property that was damaging to my plumbing.

We have completed the work on the original contract completing a punch list provided by the customer on 1 /5 /14. The customer was unhappy with the the tile coordination between the existing floor and the new tile installed around the bathtub enclosure.In the spirit of good customer service Galaxie agreed to install a new bathroom floor tile matching new selection installed in the tub surround.After installation a new punch list was created and we have been in the process of completed added items up to this date. All items have been completed except a bathtub refinishing due to a chip in the bathtub that was notice sometime while completing the final punch list. The punch list items should be completed during the week of 5/5/14.

Initial Consumer Rebuttal
Galaxie Enterprise Holdings LLC's complaint response is NOT satisfactory. The work was NOT completed on 1/5/14. The punch list that they referred to was made to reflect the work that the first contractors did NOT complete. The first contractors were not performing the job they were supposed to do. I complained to Galaxie about this, and Galaxie told me to sign their work, and they will give me a new contractor even though the original punch list was not yet completed.

While the first contractors were redoing the bathroom, they broke my window (I have pictures). They removed all of the cracked frosted glass to try and make me not notice it, but I did because I was then able to see clearly outside to my neighbor's house. I let Galaxie know about this damage, and they did not fix it until 4 months later. I had clear sight out of my window in my bathroom, which removed my privacy, for 4 months. This is not to my satisfaction.

My original tub had a small chip (which I have pictures of), and the Galaxie employee (Diana) I spoke with told me that there was no way of fixing that chip other than getting a new tub. She then said that if I get a new tub, I would have to get new tiles too. That is the ONLY reason I decided on a new tub. When the workers were installing the brand new tub (that Galaxie told me I had to get) they damaged it by chipping it. After the Galaxie workers put this damaged chip in my NEW tub, they decided WITHOUT my agreement that they would fix it by adding a porcelain pour to it instead of replacing the tub. They originally told me they would replace it with a new tub, but later changed their minds. In the meantime, a third party professional was shown pictures of the original tub and its chip and advised that the porcelain pour could have been used to fix the original tub which Galaxie had said otherwise about. Therefore, I ended up paying for a new bathroom that was unneeded. Now that the porcelain pour is completed on the new tub, it still does not look brand new. You can tell that there is a spot that was just covered by a porcelain pour. This is unsatisfactory.

Since they have been working on my bathroom for four months, I have been unable to use the shower/tub upstairs for that long period of time. I had to use the basement shower that is currently not in good condition. I also had to use the toilet in my basement during most of the weeks they worked. One time when I had to use the basement toilet, there was a large amount of grout in the toilet (I have pictures). I found out that the contractors were incorrectly disposing of the left over grout in my basement toilet damaging my plumbing which is unacceptable.

During their 4 months of work, another damaging incident occurred. I was hand-washing my dishes in my new kitchen sink when all of a sudden I saw water pouring out of the new cabinets below the sink. I opened them and found all of the pipes detached (I took pictures). The water damaged my brand new cabinetry, and I called Galaxie. The new contractor did send someone in to reattach the pipes, who told me the pipes had originally not been screwed on tight enough. Now there is the risk of mold growing under my brand new sink due to the incorrect work done by the original contractors.

Galaxie's original response to my complaint through BBB did not actually address my concerns or requests. The garbage that contained hazardous waste and materials has now been removed from my basement, but large amounts of that garbage had been left in my basement (were my dogs spend a good amount of time) for over a month even when I had informed them multiple times it had to be removed. It is May 10, 2014 and the work is still not completed. This is over 4 months past the time they informed me that this work would be completed by. It has been an inconvenience to my academic schedule and profession. Several construction appointments had been made which they did not end up showing up for even though I had gone out of my way to change my schedule for.

In the last BBB complaint, I requested to no longer have to pay the amount I currently owe due to this non-completion, mishandling of my project, the damage to my house, and the inconvenience to my daily schedule. The company has referred me to discuss all of this with *** ******* and he has not been communicative or cooperative. Throughout this whole project, Mr. ******* rarely contacted me despite my multiple attempts to contact him to have these issues resolved. At this point, I have no interest in speaking with Mr. ******* any longer. I would rather communicate with the president of the company Steve ****** and I am no longer willing in any way to pay the remaining $8500 at this point. I feel that the work for this whole project was done poorly and that the amount of $19,000 I have already paid is too much because of: the lack of quality in the work, the lack of quality in communication, the non-completion of the projects, and the continuous damages that were done to my house.

Galaxie has completed the original contract with the customer and has completed a punch list of repairs and additional work the customer has requested because she felt they were part of the original contract however they were not. We have also completed a second contract that was a "no charge" to the customer. In our attempt to resolve `this customer's complaint we have set a meeting with our ***** Superintendent, if resolution is not met I would suggest binding arbitration though the Better Business Bureau before seeking other means of collection.Final Consumer Response
This company has not in any way resolved my complaint. They did have someone call me, and he made an appointment to come to my place to have a discussion on my complaints on Wed June 18th, 2014, but again they called to cancel and reschedule the date. This appointment still has not taken place, so there has been absolutely no resolution.

Complaint Resolution: Complaint was resolved through BBB arbitration, but the company delayed meeting the terms of the arbitrator's decision.

04/04/2014Problems with Product / Service
08/22/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Delayed completion of repair

Complaint: In March 2014 I contracted with Galaxie Enterprise Holdings LLC to remodel my kitchen. They failed to measure properly and I could not use my micro hood.When the dishwasher was reinstalled they lefy thr electrical wiring on the floor instead of placing it back in the junction box.They completelt destroyed the back of the sink base and tried to cover up the mess by using peel and stick tile, which promply fell off. They dented my refrigerator and left a big scratch on the range.
They also left the kitchen in such a mess that it took me two days to clean it up. One cabinet door and one drawer does not match in color and has been reordered 4 times, so far it is still unfinished. There are graduated spaces between the stove and cabinets on either side.
When I started calling these issues to their attention they never returned my calls. Only after repeated calls did they finally respond, promising to send someone out to look at the situation, but no one came. Again more calls from me.Galaxie has been paid through Wells Fargo so they aren't concerned that the project was a disaster from start to finish. I am left paying for a shoddy, incomplete jod.

We have been working through the issues with the cabinet manufacturer to secure a door that does not have any natural defects... this issue should be resolved soon. The back of the cabinet had to be cut to fit the plumbing pipes. We could not shut the building plumbing down to fit the cabinet properly.This be no means is an excuse to leave the finished product however we made two attempts to cover the exposed wall behind the inside of the cabinet but the material did not adhere. I have sent Ms. ******* an eamil suggesting squaring of the cut cabinet to make it more uniform and painting the exposed wall and dressing pipes with chrome rings. I look forward to Ms. *******'s response so we can move forward and complete her job satisfactorily

Initial Consumer Rebuttal
In order for Galaxie to fix the damage they caused would be to completely replace the sink base. Which would mean removing the counter top, sink and sink base. I am not up physically to having that done. Their solution is to glue something over the problem, which does not work as they admit. Galaxie is just trying to repair their misteak as cheaply as possible no matter how inappropriate it is.
Noone from Galaxie has been in touch with me regarding the replacement of the cabinet drawer and door since June. I have had to work with **** ****** Account Manager, ***** Cabinetry. He stopped by measured, and ordered the appropriate color. Once the items arrive his supposed to install them personally.

I have sent emails to Ms. ******* requesting a time to come out and resolve the back panel issue..we have constraints on what can be done because the inability to be able to shut down the water supply and replace the back of the cabinet. It is a cosmetic function of the back of the cabinet that the pipes come thru.

**** ***** is a manufacturer representative of the cabinet manufacturer. He is acting on our part because of the difficulty the cabinet manufacturer has had in matching the color of the door in question. By no means has there been a lack of response. all i need is a date that we can come out and resolve the cabinet issue.

Obviously Galaxie will not be able to repair the damage to the cabinet to my satisfaction. I will find someone else to make the repair and Galaxie can reimbuse me for time and material. At this point I do not wish Galaxie to return to my home for anything.
I am still asking for a full refumd.

BBB Please do not mark this complaint as resolved because it isn't.

Complaint Resolution: BBB determined the company made a reasonable offer to resolve the issues, but the consumer did not accept the offer.

Construction & Remodeling Services, Windows, Doors, Bathroom Remodeling, Siding Contractors, Patio, Porch & Deck Enclosures, Mason Contractors, Kitchen Remodeling