BBB Accredited Business since 04/01/2009

SpiderOak, Inc.

6 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 2 closed in last 12 months

11/11/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

We originally signed up for Spideroak on 9/10/13 so we could have a backup of all our documents. It stopped working in January 2014, but we waited till 1/2/14 to contact Spideroak. We contacted them numerous times to try and resolve the issue but was told that they did not have room on their servers.

This was sent to them on 6/24/14:
I am confused as you have given me several reasons that the issue is happening. We need to escalate this or issue a refund as it has been going on for over 7 months.

1-2-14: Problem was originally reported.(Although it had not been working for a month prior)

X-XX-XX: you responded: I have notified our developers to migrate your account to another server. You should see improved speeds within the next week and we appreciate your patience.

X-XX-XX: You responded: I apologize but there is not much we can do until you are migrated to a new server. You should see improvements within the next week or so.

X-XX-XX: You requested the folder called "Application Data" which I sent and never heard back from you.

X-XX-XX: I tried running the command that I have per your first request and still no resolution.

Please escalate this ASAP or issue a refund.

On 7/21/14 I sent the following email:
Apparently you guys can not fix this. Please just issue a refund for the down time and cancel the account!

Since then I have not heard anything back from them and in fact they charged us for another year of service on 9/10/14. I requested that charge as well to be canceled, but again still have not heard back from anyone.

$100 for the original service that would not work.
plus $100 for the recent auto transaction that was charged after we requested cancelation.

Total $200 refund.

Contact Email: ******spideroak.com
Hello ****

I'm very sorry to hear you were disappointed by your service with SpiderOak. I'll be happy to refund your full service charge, so if you can please send me your username or email address associated with your account (or your old ticket number) I'll be able to take care of this for you ASAP. Otherwise, I'll search for you now and contact you as soon as I find the correct ticket number.

Sorry again that you did not have a good experience with SpiderOak.

******

This is the email address on our account, ********************

06/10/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I have received repeated emails asking me to be patient and that they will be responding soon. They guarantee a response in 5-7 business days. It has been over two weeks and I have not heard back. I am pretty much out of business without access to the missing files.

I would really like to try this service if we can get it working again. If they are too busy to help me, I would like a full refund.

Contact Name and Title:******************
Contact Phone:***********
Contact Email: **********************
Hi *******

My name is ******** and I'm so sorry that you have been unable to use SpiderOak. I have reached out to the head of Customer Service and you will be receiving a call/email very soon. We are happy to refund you fully for the service. Feel free to email me directly at ********************** if that is how you would like to proceed.

Again, I'm very sorry that the experience has been unsatisfactory.

Thank you for your patience.

********,
Thank you for your help! I did receive several calls from customer service. ***** was most helpful. He called and explained the problem after researching it and helped walk me through the solution. He was also kind enough to give me his after hours phone number in case I ran into any more problems. Everything seems to be working fine after his help.

As a result of the prompt attention, I plan to continue using this backup service, and will likely be expanding my use as I find additional applications and become more familiar with the systems many features.

In addition to the seamless encrypted backup / storage, I find the ability to configure and manage backup of multiple computers on our network from one machine most helpful.

Thank you again for your help.

************

12/16/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I had purchased a offsite data solution from Spideroak in May for $600US.
A month into the service some of the computers/servers tied to the account had stopped backing up due to Spideroak's software issue.
I had tried contacting technical support various times about this. Their response time would be 1-2 days later at best!
Finally after about a month the situation seemed to get resolved with the one server that was not backing up... then we noticed that a second server on the account had the same issue.
We had gone through the same cycle of email correspondence which lasted over a week due to their lack of support.
At this point the situation on the last server had not been resolved and I had asked technical support to cancel the account and issue a full refund as we had experienced issues from day 1.

After another week of email correspondence... i was assured by the technical support member that I would be getting my refund and that they had forwarded my refund request to billing dept.

Spideroak had charged me $600 for the account... so far i had just received a little over $100 after my last check with *****

I had tried several times in the past few weeks/days to email them (AS THEY DO NOT HAVE A TELEPHONE NUMBER APPARENTLY) but nobody has replied or issued the reminder of the refund.

After looking online i found a number on BBB's website for Spideroak... only when i called it turns out that it's a different company going by the name of******* Apparently this company "handles the administrative requirements" for Spideroak and when i called them, they were less then willing to speak to me about Spideroak and hung up the phone.

Please help!

I am seeking the remainder of the refund that was promised to me... about $500 US

************************************************

This is****** from SpiderOak support. I left you a message at the phone number you provided and I have also sent you a response via email explaining what went wrong. Essentially, the wrong account information for the refund was sent to me and the refund amount I was given was incorrect. I have already refunded you the additional $500 and I apologize for the delay.

09/30/2013Problems with Product / Service
05/27/2013Problems with Product / Service
07/27/2012Problems with Product / Service

Computers Hardware, Software & Services, Computers - Network Security, Computer Software Publishers & Developers