Follow these key procedures and tips when choosing a home cleaning service:
* Contact BBB to obtain a report on any company you are considering doing business with.
* Make sure the company is bonded and insured. This protects you against damaged, stolen or broken items. Ask the company if they have a procedure in place to investigate a lost item.
* Ask the company if the cleaning staff is employed by them or if they subcontract the work or use temporary employees. Do they perform background checks on their employees?
* Does the company carry worker's compensation insurance to protect you against accidents? Carrying the insurance will ensure you are not responsible for any physical accidents that may occur when the worker is at your home.
* Request references of other homeowners who have used their services. Use a service that has repeat customers and a solid business history.
* Inquire if the company provides the cleaning supplies or if it is up to you to have cleaning supplies on hand. Realize the cost should be less if they are expecting you to provide the supplies.
Keep in mind that choosing the least expensive service may not always yield the results you expect. You might pay less, but may also sacrifice the quality of the work performed. By being a savvy consumer and checking with BBB on companies before you do business with them, you can enjoy the benefits of a clean home without the worry of being swept under the rug.