BBB Accredited Business since 05/24/2011

Brown's Roofing Company

3 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 0 closed in last 12 months

11/19/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Company has admitted that their installation crew mistakenly nailed the gutter covers to the roof during shingle installation voiding warranty.
Company contracted to replace roof damaged by hail last spring. The roofing crew incorrectly nailed the gutter covers to the roof deck making adjustment and cleaning impossible. When we returned from spending winter in ******* this year, we discovered that rain water was overshooting the gutters resulting in moisture and dampness along foundation walls. This resulted in musty smells through out the house. After investigation by our moisture control contractor it was determined that the gutter system was at fault. We contacted the gutter cover installer because we had a lifetime performance warranty. They said that they were backed up but would come as soon as they could.

Because the moisture intrusion was getting worse, I hired a gutter cleaning contractor at my own expense to clean the gutters. He made an attempt but found that the gutters were nailed to the roof. I did not want him to try and remove the nails in the covers because it may void my roof warranty. I then asked him to cut the ends of the covers at the gutter in the back of the house where the moisture damage was the worst. This way we could clean out this area and mitigate the damage.

The gutter cover installer informed me that because the gutter covers had been nailed to the roof structure they could not be adjusted or removed to clean the gutters. Thus the warranty was voided. After contacting ***** Roofing we made an appointment was made with one of their employees named ***. When *** didn't show for the 1st appointment, I called the office and talked a very concerned lady who told me she would contact *** and have him call me.

He called later that day and said he forgot to mark the appointment down and made another appointment to come out. Although he showed up late for that appointment, he checked the roof and gutter covers and said it was installed incorrectly but he needed to check with Mr. ***** to get decide what would be required to correct the problem. He promised to call me that afternoon or the next morning at the latest.

After not receiving a call after 4 days, I called *** back. He said Mr. ***** wanted him to take pictures to document the nailing of the gutter covers. *** made another appointment and although 2 hours late again, he did take the pictures and promised to call me as soon as he talked to Mr. *****.

When I did not receive a call from *** again, I called him again. He said he was in the office and would talk to Mr. ***** that morning. He did call me back in about 20 minutes and said Mr. ***** had authorized the repairs and set up another appointment for the following Wednesday.

On that Wednesday, *** called me and said his crew was still on another job and would be late. They never showed up. After another week, I called *** and he talked to Mr. ***** again and promised to come out within the next week to do the work. At the end of the next week, I had the gutter cleaning contractor return to try and do something to alleviate the problem in the front of the house. We removed the downspouts and discovered that the gutters were full of shingle pieces. I immediately called *** and asked him to come by and look at what we found. *** said that the roofing installers were supposed to clean the gutters after the new roof was installed as part of their job. Obviously, they couldn't do that with the gutter covers nailed to the roof. He said he couldn't come but he called Mr. ***** and told him what we found. He said Mr. ***** told him to take 2 men with him and come and do the repairs this Tuesday. It is now 10:30 and no one has called or showed up again.

remove existing gutter covers , clean all gutters and reinstall gutter covers correctly and have gutter cover warranty reinstated.

hello , after the review of this job i asked the men that did the roof about this gutter problem . my men did tell me that the gutters was like this before we started the job , i didnt no this untill two weeks ago , we tryed to call the home onwer to inform them of this and then twos latter we have a bbb complaint, so my company would not be involved in this matter.

The case is definitely not closed. If you read the previous emails, I am still awaiting proposals to correct the problem.

I don't understand the bbb , only here for one Reason( money) so if its 175 dollars to Solve this Issue then I guess I will mall the bbb the check , but I am not taking blame for this problem , just tired of this all

05/14/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Brown's Roofing Company promised to repair/correct sub-standard work that was performed by them several months ago on the roof at my residence.
I engaged Brown's Roofing Company to submit a proposal for replacing the aged asphalt shingle roof on my house with a premium grade standing seam metal roof. On November 13, 2012, their sales representative submitted a proposal for the amount of $6,825.00. I accepted their proposal and was asked to choose what color roofing panels I preferred.

Soon afterward, the owner and sales representative arrived at my house to take exact measurements of the dimensions on my roof. I was told that the measurements had to be exact, as the actual cutting of the roof panels would be done by the supplier. It was further explained that each roofing panel would be marked so that it could be placed in the correct position onsite.

The sales representative called on December 27, 2012 to advise me that they had completed the job. He offered to stop by my house to accept payment. Once he arrived, I told him that there were some problems with my roof. I also told him that I would feel better if I could pay a portion of the cost then, and pay the rest once the problems had been resolved. I was asked to pay the full amount, and that they would come out and repair the areas just as soon as they possibly could.

I should say that there was never a disagreement regarding the sections of my roof that were deemed sub-standard. The sales representative kept apologizing and said that they would take care of the problems right away.

During this time, the weather had been cold, wet, and windy so I was patient when they did not come out right away. But after some time passed (and the weather improved) I did call the sales representative and asked him to meet with me so that I could point out to him each and every section of the roof that I expected to be repaired. Once again, he was in total agreement, said my concerns were justified and that he was very sorry that the repairs had not yet been performed. At that point, he said he was busy that week but promised to return the following week with new material and personally make all of the repairs himself.

Once again, the weather turned bad so I waited until a few weeks ago before calling the sales representative again. This time, he said that he was in a meeting and would return my call later. He did not do so. I attempted to reach him several more times, but there was no answer. I left voice messages and never received a reply.

I have come to believe that Brown's Roofing Company has no intentions of repairing the sub-standard work that was performed on my house. Turning to the BBB seemed like the next logical step, before retaining an attorney to help me with this issue.

Once again, there has never been an argument or disagreement as to what Brown's Roofing Company needs to repair/replace at my home. The only problem is that they have not, or will not come out and do the work.

I have no problem if Brown's Roofing Company wants to finally make good on their promises. As an alternative, I would not mind if Brown's Roofing Company prefers to engage some other roofing company to do the work for them, as long as the company they choose is reputable. Otherwise, I would ask that Brown's Roofing Company offer a refund for the cost of repairs so that I can engage a reputable company to make the necessary repairs.

we would like to make this clear,i do beleave that what ****** ******* is talking about is the looks of the pannel ?i dont think there is a problem with the roof leaking ? so its all looks i do beleve,we told ****** that we can change the looks of that,he said when ever that it was cold and bad weather forcast for a while . we will try to contact ****** on trying to make this look better for him ,i would like to add that the roof is leak free and put on correct by spect .customer wants it to look good and we will make it look good.

06/18/2013Problems with Product / Service