BBB Accredited Business since 07/09/2013

Charlotte Homes and Rentals

4 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 3 closed in last 12 months

09/19/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Charlotte Homes And Rentals, Left My family and I in poor Conditions, Black Mold, Leaking Ceiling, Water Damage inside the home.
My Husband and I notice dark spots on the ceiling in the bathoom, after doing research is was black mold. The property manager ********** Stated to My husband and I someone was to come inspect our home on friday 9/5/14 No one ever called or showed up. One evening when it was raining outside, there was water coming through our livingroom and kitchen, we again called *** the property manager to let her know. *** stated someone would be out next day and never showed up. Meanwhile I did state to *** that I have a small 1 year old child that had respitory issues and we shouldn't have to endure these conditions. The company never offered for my family and I to stay in a hotel until they were able to fix the roof, the mold, and they have to cut down a tree. The communication between this company and their tenants is absolutely horrible, The property Manager insisted that Living with a leaking roof and black mold is a livable condition. They still have yet to fix the home, they knew the structure of this home was severly damaged they just covered up the damages with paint. No one should have to live in the conditions that ive endured over the past two weeks. This is a horrible company to rent from. The property manager stated they will have to consult with their boss since the roof is such a "big ticket item" well we shouldnt have to be living in this house while they are consulting with the boss and the repairman to fix it.

I would ultimately like to get out of this lease because of the horrible conditions my family has endured. We know that the whole roof needs to be replaced as well as where there is black mold. They Could've offered to place us in a hotel. Not to mention we've had a leaking refridgerator since we've moved in last march. I hate the place im renting and I hate the company even more for being insensitive and not having a sense of urgency for the tenants, they only have a sense of urgency for there rent money.

11 September 2014

In response to Miss ******* *****'s complaint, I would like to bring actual facts to light.

First, Miss ***** called in the work order regarding the ceiling leak at 5:00 pm on Friday, September 5th. Contractors were at the property assessing the roof on Monday, September 8th. A new roof and ceiling repair began Thursday, September 11th. Six dry days passed **** her first call to the new roof install and ceiling repair, NOT two weeks as Miss ***** claims. Also, both Miss ***** and Mr. ******* were notified via email (Tuesday, September 9th) of when these repairs would take place.

Secondly, Miss ***** and Mr. ******* have called two times about the refrigerator leaking, March 24th 2014 and July 30th 2014. Both times someone was sent out immediately to assess and repair. If the leak continued, it was their responsibility to call a work order in. I had no knowledge of the problem until Miss ******* ***** and I spoke Tuesday, September 9th. There is currently an open work order and the tenants have scheduled with the appliance repair technician.

Lastly, there was a bi-annual inspection scheduled Friday, September 5th, however, the employee conducting the inspection called out and the entire day was rescheduled. A message was left on Mr. *******'s voicemail.

In conclusion, I am confident that all work orders submitted to Charlotte Homes and Rentals from Miss ******* ***** and Mr. Montrayl ******* have been repaired in a timely manner. Their lease began February 27th 2014 and they have a $408.04 balance. I speculate that may be the reason for these bogus accusations.

**********
Director of Maintenance

06/16/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

The company failed to act in the best interest of the client and put the interests of the tenant ahead of those of the client with costs to the client
After employing the company for a year as our property management company the tenant's renewal period arrived. The tenant originally said they were moving out, but then changed their mind and said they would stay, or might stay and the property management company failed to follow the contract and list the property at that time. The tenant finally confirmed they were moving out less than 20 days before the deadline. A representative from the company (Diana) said the tenant provided final notice less than 20 days before the deadline. The contract with tenant said they were required to provide 60 days advance notice which was not completed as confirmed by the property management employee (Diana). The property was marketed again until the day after this notice was given (rather than the prior 60 day period if that was in fact when they gave notice). Calls to the owner (**** ******) were not returned in a timely manner. Even after returning from vacation he neglected to return phone calls for over 72 hours and counting. Once my legal counsel became involed the owner (**** ******) returned their call, but has still not called myself to client to respond to their mismanagement. After paying 8% of the rent each month for a year and their property marketing fee of 50% of the first month I would expect a phone call from the owner if we have an issue. The company has now allowed our tenant to move out with only 20 days notice and put us in a poor position without a new tenant while they can collect another marketing fee and we eat the extra mortgage payment. It is simply unacceptable not have the common courtesy to return a phone call in a timely manner and help find a solution for the client that pays your revenue. I would not recommend having this company represent anyone in the future.

An acceptable settlemtn (which I would share with **** on the phone if he would return my call) would be either to have a tenant paying rent in the property by July 1st so we don't miss a rent payment as Diana had assured us would be possible or to have the tenant or the company pay the $1850 that we are owed for the month of July for their failure to provide 60 days notice (tenant) or enforce the contract (comapny).

We have contacted Mr. ******** and have resolved his issues.

05/20/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

My complaint is that this rental companies water heater in the house that I'm renting from them burst, two weeks after their plumber supposedly repaired it, and of course water from the heater got all over the floor/carpets. They replaced the water heater but refused to get up the water. They are saying that its my responsibility to get the water up. So being that they say they are not paying for the water removal, now they are telling me that the floors are damaged and I'm sure they are going to try and blame and charge me for damages if any. This situation has lasted over 3 weeks of me calling about a leak in the house. I have documented the conversations and phone calls between myself and the rental office for the past 3 weeks. The rental office nor the plumber have been very cooperative in returning calls or speedy in responses of any kind.

I'd like a refund on the cost of the equipment rented to extract water from the carpets. No retaliation of any kind concerning the property or my credit standing/tenant character reference. Being that I've not received my copy of my new lease that started May 1, I'd like the option to move with no penalties and my deposit returned. I'd like to stay in this property but I have no trust with them now which makes for a bad business relationship. I've never had a late pay or bad rent check.

We have contacted and met the with tenant at the property to review complaint. We are repairing the damage flooring and cleaning carpets to remove moisture residue at no charge to the tenant. We have supplied a copy of the lease to the tenant. No retaliation of any kind concerning property, credit nor character would ever be ever be used. Security deposit will be returned at the end of tenancy less any remaining balances or charges.

06/05/2013Problems with Product / Service