BBB Accredited Business since 01/03/1973

Charlotte Van & Storage Co., Inc.

06/25/2015Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

Erroneous Charges, extortion, failure to provide compensation for damages
CV&S moved me intrastate in May 2015 from ****************************************************** Waxhaw. The complaint includes lies and last minute changes that cost me time away from work, and actual money. Now, three weeks after the move, I received a **** for $******* which they are using as extortion before fixing the damage they caused to my furniture.
(1) Salesman ******* gave me an estimate 4-5 weeks prior to our move. I accepted that estimate a week or two later. ******* acknowledged that, but never sent a confirmation. When asked, he said not to worry (I have the emails.) A week before the move, he says they have to move the pickup date to Saturday, May 9 from Monday May 11, causing me to have to take off work (I am in sales) to finish packing. Too late to find another mover.
(2) Parent company Mayflower moved me interstate 18 months prior, so they have records of my furniture. I noted CLEARLY to******** on phone AND the day he came for the estimate that I would need the largest CV&S truck. He agreed. I did not receive the largest truck, as confirmed by the crew chief. He told me that he had a "priority" move and the larger truck was to be used there.
(3) The crew that packed our items was not the same crew that delivered our items-I was told that crew was working the "priority" move.
(4) The initial crew didn't organize the hardware associated with the furniture. I had to personally pack it as it was laying all over the house. Luckily I was able to identify most of it, but it took additional time to identify it all.
(5) The initial crew chief, upon realizing that our items would not fit, said he would personally come back Sunday, then said Monday. Not only did he not come, there was no record for another truck to come. Had I not called, CV&A would not have come. Ultimately, I got two "freight" guys they cobbled together.
(6) The initial crew left many heavy, expensive items at our house, and not on the truck. The 2-man crew was not well equipped for such heavy items. Fortunately, nothing broke, but they were slow.
(7) Delivery crew had a hard time finding furniture hardware as they didn't pack it, and the original packers, as I mentioned above, were sloppy, likely because they knew they were not coming back. NOT having taken the furniture apart, and trying to figure out the unmarked hardware, was time consuming for the new crew.
(8) The delivery crew chief, upon signing our final documents, said I didn't have any time overages, and that the amount I signed for was the amount estimated. In all the turmoil, that made it easier for me to sign.

I thus paid the **** in full, identified the visible damage, and the crew chief logged it in. After unpacking and moving items, further damage was uncovered. One was on a wall where they conveniently put a large artificial tree décor in front of. The other was the leg of an Ethan Allen dining room chair. I have the broken pieces. They never reported it to me (it's a solid wood chair - hard NOT to know when you damage it.)
Now, three weeks later, I get a **** for ******* apparently for time overages. When I told them the story, the botched move, the wrong truck, the missing truck, the work time missed, the ill-equipped movers they cobbled together, they didn't care. They said they would NOT fix our damaged furniture until we paid this erroneous ****.

Moving companies have their customers by their throat, and develop ways to intimidate and conceal their unfair practices. They blame it on their procedure, they say they try their best to accommodate but can't always... Regarding the hardware being scattered, my contact, ***** ****** IV wrote, "sometimes customers get in the way and don't let us do our job....... And make it take longer..... I don't know...I wasn't not there." He actually wrote that in an email!!!!! So essentially, he is blaming me, but can't because he wasn't there. Of course, when it comes to them NOT sending the second truck, my contact, ***** ****** IV tells me he doesn't have a record of that. How convenient. But ***** still wants to extort me for extra money and he doesn't have proper records of the facts.
Not only are the charges wrong, its extortion and it could impact my credit score. After all is said and done, CV&S owes ME money for the hotel we had to take because our furniture was gone two days early, for the extra kennel time for my dog, and for the time I had to miss work because I had to pack because of their change in schedule.
I believe CV&S has to remove the charges, assume me there **** be no credit impact, fix all my furniture and property damage, and send me a check for $220 for the hotel, travel, and kennel for my dog.

We have thoroughly investigated all of the points raised by Mr. ****** and did discover that there was indeed a clerical error on his invoice and adjusted it accordingly. We take claims of this nature quite seriously and, while it was regrettable that a billing error was made, we are thankful that it was brought to our attention and that we were able to rectify the situation immediately. As a good faith gesture and admittance of our billing discrepancy, Mr. ****** was refunded he was owed at a rate of four times the billing overage.

A few of Mr. ******'s belongings did experience some minor damage during his relocation, and as stated in his complaint, his claim could not go forward until his open balance was settled. Upon rectifying the invoicing error, the claim process was initiated and is now nearing completion.

Lastly, to address Mr. ******'s complaints regarding perceived service failures, we must politely disagree. Our customers are treated with equal deference and respect and we do not have a classification for "priority" moves. Mr. ****** was provided with the largest truck possible (a 53' foot trailer) and while his relocation date was moved at the request of Charlotte Van & Storage Mr. ****** was agreeable to this and was not charged overtime rates for a weekend move due to the fact that it was for the convenience of Charlotte Van & Storage. With regards to the parts from disassembled furniture, our crews are trained to disassemble and leave hardware in place until all hardware can be collected at one time. Each set of hardware is then placed in its own bag and included in a parts box for reassembly at delivery. While it may have been the customer's perception that this was disorganized or ineffective, the method for conducting disassembly in this manner ensures that all parts travel together and aren't misplaced or lost.

In short, we have addressed Mr. ******'s complaints in a fair and equitable manner and while we apologize that his relocation did not meet his satisfaction, we are confident that we have made every effort possible to address his concerns and complaints.

While CV&S did monetarily compensate me for their mistakes regarding billing, it was only because I discovered the discrepancy, and only after having to fight long and hard to receive any compensation. The truck that was sent was NOT the largest truck, as I recognized and as was told to me by their own driver. I DO NOT agree with that statement they made. I would suggest potential customers specifically ask CV&S sales for a clear commitment on truck size, in writing. I would also suggest potential customers specifically ASK CV&S that they receive the SAME crew for pickup and for delivery and GET THAT IN WRITING. the fact that I received different crews (and the first crew knew they were not unpacking) caused the said confusion regarding hardware. Again, the unpacking crew noticed and commented about how unorganized everything was. But, the final resolution was satisfactory.

01/10/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Estimate given to me including a possible overage was paid. Charlotte Van and Storage wants more money and won't pay for damages.
I hired "professionals" to handle my move because I wanted it done right. Charlotte Van and Storage sent one of their employees to give me an estimate for my residential move. The estimate said that my move would take no more than seven hours with three men working at a rate of $135.00 per hour. It also added an authorization to charge an additional fee of 10% if the move took longer than the estimate and one hour of travel time. The total estimate including the potential overage amount was $1163.73 I was assured that my move would not take any longer than the amount of time on the agreement. The move took far longer than the estimate ( 9.15 hours) and I paid the entire amount of the estimate, with a credit card, including the agreed upon overage ($1280.10). During the move the house I was moving from was damaged on several walls and the staircase. The house I moved in to also had several walls and the floor damaged. Many personal items were damaged during the move. Both dressers received scratches on the top and sides. The dining table was dropped on the sidewalk and sustained scratches and dents. Our upholstered couch was stained during the move as well. After the movers were finally done unloading the truck they filled out a damage report and said they would give a copy to management. They did not give me a copy, but I was able to photograph it. The driver and crew led me to believe that I would be receiving paperwork that would reimburse me for the repair of the damages to both homes and to my personal items. A few weeks later, I received a **** for an additional $136.65. Charlotte Van and Storage claimed that I owed them more money because they took far longer to move my things than they estimated. They would not discuss reimbursement for repairs and damage. They said they would possibly review a claim after they collected additional money. They further stated that they could not pay for repairs done to the home we moved from unless they inspected the damage first. This was impossible because the repairs had to be done prior to the closing that had already taken place. Charlotte Van and Storage has since sent the matter to a collection agency. I have paid the $136.65 to the collection agency of ************************ to avoid damage to my credit. However the additional amount is an unreasonable charge that should be refunded to me. Additionally, the money I spent for repairs to both homes ($524.61)should be paid to me immediately by Charlotte Van and Storage.

I want the additional **** amount of $136.65 refunded. I want the cost of the repairs for damages done by Charlotte Van and Storage to both homes,$524.61,to be paid back to me. I also expect monetary consideration, in the amount of $300.00, for the furniture that is damaged. The total amount of my claim is $961.26.

The customer was provided with a non-binding estimate, per North Carolina regulations, which does not guarantee an amount of time that the move **** be completed in but does provide for a guaranteed hourly rate. A non-binding estimate is a professional opinion of the time and cost involved and is not an implicit or stated guarantee. The customer refused to pay for the additional monies owed. As is customary within the moving industry, we reserve the right to not settle claims until all outstanding balances are cleared. Despite this, we mailed a claim form to the customer on XX-XX-XX and continued to try collecting the remaining balance from the customer over the proceeding months. The customer refused to pay and -- additionally -- never sent their claim form back to our office. A secondary claim form was sent to the customer on X-XX-XX and again, was not returned to our office by the customer. With no other recourse (and being that the matter was now one year aged) we forwarded the balance owed to a collection agency.

Though the customer was afforded two opportunities to return a claim form, and despite the fact that we are not obligated to address claims with an outstanding balance, we were willing to work with the customer for the regrettable possible damage that was done. No opportunity to view or inspect any damage was given since a claim form was never submitted. The statute for filing a claim is nine months from the move date. The customer, on two separate occasions, failed to submit their claim and begin the process and their claim window closed on July 19, 2013. A claim cannot be filed at this point as it is now 14 months from the move date.

Response:

The balance on the move was contested based on your intent to not provide reasonable accommodations for the circumstances. The balance has been paid in full ($136.65) to the collection agency that you enlisted in order to prevent damage to my good credit rating.

The complaint was made to the Better Business Bureau with hope that a 3rd party could act as mediator and possibly help resolve and substantiate this dispute.

While you 'deeply apologize' your responses only further support your propensity to make resolution difficult. If, in fact, the damage report form is routinely used as a basis for settlement, and contains multiple notations and a description of the property damages, why then would you place the burden on the consumer to settle their account and fill out additional forms prior to considering a claim? Why also would you withhold documentation of damages and only provide 'upon request the next business day'? Is there a reason why the form does not contain a 'customer copy'?

I consider your intentions to be suspect; not only from your documented responses, but by the lack of customer care provided during and after the move was completed. I provided to your company, in good faith a deposit, an overage allowance on my credit card and the expectation that your non-binding estimate would be fairly accurate. I also did not anticipate that I would be having a disagreement about claims procedures relating to the damages verified by your own employees. You are a business... not a government agency or insurance adjustor. You should treat your customers and their belongings with more respect.

I still expect, at the very least, a partial settlement to cover repair costs of the sheetrock damage and repainting of the walls.

We deeply apologize, but do not feel that further responses **** rectify this situation or find a middle ground. Unfortunately since the balance on the move was contested, the claims process couldn't begin, and we were not afforded an opportunity to have a third party inspection conducted before the customer had repairs made.

The form in question is a one part form detailing property damage and the customer is absolutely correct that a copy was not given to them at the time of delivery. Since the form is only one part (i.e. non-carbon), a copy is mailed, upon request, during the next business day.

The customer is incorrect on their assertion that they were told that the property damage form is not used to settle claims. It is most definitely used to settle claims but is not used to initiate or file a claim. The customer was instructed by our office that claims can only be initiated or filed through a claim form which, as stated previously, was sent to the customer but never returned. If the claim form had been returned and the balance for the move paid, all documents associated with the move (including a third party inspection of damage) would have been used to adjudicate the claim.

As stated previously, we can offer no further resolution on this matter.

Movers