BBB Accredited Business since 10/05/2012

Great American Handyman

09/21/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Gave $1000 deposit for home improvement costs. No work ever started & after 4 months I requested deposit back. I was refused.
A deposit of $1000 was requested in Feb. 2015. The deposit was given to begin home improvement job. Contract was to be written and scheduling of job set. No contract was received. Work was never started and communication requesting scheduling job was ignored. After 4 months I requested the deposit be returned. Company/Individual refused to return deposit.

I am requesting that my $1000 deposit be returned by Company/Individual.

We are sorry that Ms. ***** feels that during the 5 months of her trying to finalize her choices and the island top that she was ignored. The text and emails show that she has a longer then normal delay in responding to our questions during the intimal stage of this where we needed her to pick and chose items. Waiting 2 weeks for a response from her doesnt constitute a ignoring on ours.
In fact her text and phone calls never exceeded 5 business days. The last message from her just days before she filed this concern is below.

Hey!

I didn't know I was supposed to call them or that I needed to cough up some more cash. "Ready to pay" sounded to me like you were going to call me with an amount and scheduling.

You took care of getting funds from me and communicating with the vendors and picking up stuff from stores the last time...why would I think it would be different this time?

How many times over the past couple of months have I tried to get an answer from you about starting on other stuff while figuring out the counters? Almost every time I called I asked for you to get started. C'mon man ïïï申ï申ïï申ï申

I gave you a check and since you've not started anything else...I guessed that would be used towards the countertops and/or floors.

Maybe we should be more clear with each other.

I know you're busy on the weekends...can you call me on Monday eve after 7 or Tues morning before 1230?

I am not angry I'm just frustrated. Don't be grumpy at me please.

Enjoy your weekend. *******.

So with this text message Im not sure why were here.
As far as the deposit, we have long passed the 3 day right to return law and with Ms. ***** terminating our contract verbal or written , NC law states she is Hey!

Maybe we should be more clear with each other.

I am not angry I'm just frustrated. Don't be grumpy at me please.

Enjoy your weekend. *******.

As for the deposit, we are far beyond the 3 day return law and she is responsible for the entire amount of the labor on that agreement. There is still a balance of $1000.00 which we are now going to persue.

The business ignores the fact that delays in response were because he wouldn't answer calls or respond to texts of mine and because Mr. ***** was not providing the information requested from him. I hired him because of what he does and because this is not my area of expertise. He neglected his responsibilities and did not do his job.

I hired him to do several jobs on my home and they all include him following through to finish. He never started any work. I understand some delays, but this was beyond acceptable which is why I am at this point.

Mr. ***** said he would email the contract and a start date , but those were never sent to me. He is neglecting to include that I, on almost every occasion we were communicating, asked him to start work on other parts of the job in question since this one thing wasn't being resolved. He would never give me an answer about when he would start and never started any work.

Mr. ***** never informed me that the countertops were ordered let alone where they were ordered from, how much they were or who to contact.

You can tell from the text message he has included that I am trying to be conciliatory to him while expressing my frustration with the lack of communication from him about this. Even with this text where I gave him two different dates and times to call me to resolve this he did not return the calls. After I didn't hear from him I sent the letter to him requesting the deposit back.

******* *****

Hey ****** we settled this ourselves last week! Yeah

I'm not sure who ***** is that is mentioned by Mr. ***** and am concerned that it indicates a familiarity to the BBB reviewer that indicates a possible bias on the part of the BBB.

I filed with small claims court in ***** ****** ** for the $1000.00. I also filed a complaint with the ************ ********** ****** Consumer Protection Division.

Mr. ***** was sent a second rqst by the Atty Generals Office because he did not respond to the first request. He has not, to my knowledge, responded to the second request.

Mr. ***** requested a meeting with me prior to our court case and I agreed to meet him at the courthouse. Mr. ***** indicated that he would file an appeal to this case if we did not settle.

After going through this lengthy process with BBB, having the Atty General's office sending additional requests for response and the indication from Mr. ***** that he would appeal, I accepted $800 to settle this matter.

Although this matter could have been settled prior to my contacting the Atty General and filing a small claims, I appreciate that Mr. ***** decided to settle the claim with me for an amount we agreed was fair.

I am unable to upload the small claims and atty general's information at this time (i am away), but will do so when I am home to verify the lengths I went to in this matter.

I do not hold any ill will towards Mr. ***** in this matter, but want this information to be available in this public record.

Sincerely, ******* *****

09/18/2014Problems with Product / Service

Home Improvements, Windows, Fence Contractors, Doors, Hardwood Floor Contractors, Handyman Services, Bathroom Remodeling, Tile - Ceramic - Contractors & Dealers, Siding Contractors, Deck Builder, Lighting Consultants, Kitchen Remodeling