1st Choice Home Remodeling

7 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 1 closed in last 12 months

06/05/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Company was to install door but ordered wrong door which was too small. We would have to use different molding to cover up the remaining gap.
Reason for Dispute: I contracted with 1st Choice Home Remodeling for 8 windows and 1 exterior door on 3-8-13. While the process was anything but smooth, the windows did get installed to my satisfaction. I put $1700 on my credit card at the time of contract and put another $2500 on the credit card when the windows were finished for a total of $4200.

There were numerous compromises to our original agreement regarding the door. 1st Choice Home Remodeling was supposed to supply the lock set for and install it on a painted white door. In two separate conversations I was told that they would not be supplying the lock set ($120.00) and that I would have to get one from ***** and that the door would be unpainted and I would have to paint it once it was installed. It is ridiculous to ask a homeowner to paint a door that they are paying $2000 for. I have requested a receipt for the door because I was told on many occasions how expensive it was but have never received it.

The door sat in my garage for another week and when it was going to be installed, the man installing it and his assistant both measured it and said it was too small for the opening and he would have to use large interior molding to cover up the opening. The molding on all the windows and doors in the kitchen is 3.5 inches and they would have to use 4.5 inch molding. One of the reasons we are replacing the windows is to sell the home eventually. When the installer called the owner of the company (****** ******) he came to the home and tried to convince me that it was the right door. He repeatedly told me that it was a custom door that he paid as much as $1500 for and had already pay for it. The two builders I talked to said it was really a cut down 2.8 door or 32 inch door. I refused to let them take out the old door and am very glad I did. Even the owner said to me that the installer that was going to install the door did not want to do it. The reason was because he did not want to make an aesthetic mess out of my kitchen. I told them I was going to have to get some other opinions before you tear my door frame out and install a door that was cut to small. I talked to two builders who said the door was too small and was cut wrong for the opening. I also talked to numerous homeowners and friends and not one of them said they would accept such inferior work in their home.

Efforts to resolve: We have communicated via text throughout the transaction so I 1.) Sent a text on 4/27/13 that said "After talking to numerous homeowners and two builders, not one said they would accept the finished product you were offering so I will not be moving ahead with door installation. With that said **** (my phone changed it) significantly overpaid. If you could e-mail me your invoice for the door maybe we can come to an agreement as to what I am due. The e-mail is *****@gmail.com. 2.) I called on 4/30/13 and got no answer. 3.) On 5/1/13 I texted again stating " I have not gotten the invoice to show what you paid for the door you ordered for me. I am trying to resolve this in an amicable manner but need to know what you paid for the cut door 2.8 door. Please e-mail it to *****@gmail.com." 4.) I called on 5/8/13 and left one more message but have had no response.

I have been in real estate for 15 years and have built my own home dealing with 100's of contractors over that period of time. I have never seen one like this that once the agreement was signed was so indifferent to the quality of the work or the agreement. The only thing that mattered was his profit margins and when he could bill your credit card.

When the company owner (****** ******) was telling me about the door he contiued to tell me how expensive it was and basically it would run about $2000 because it was so special and the installation was expensive too. When the windows were installed he charged $2500 on top of the $1700 I already paid him at contract for a total of $4200 of the $5000 contract price. Based on the
2000 price for the door and its installation I am due $1200. I will not allow him to install the wrong door becasue he measured wrong and change the whole look of my kitchen.

I have emailed Mr ****** to the email he provided and he has also been called to schedule the work to be complete. The door was not mis measured or ordered or made wrong. It was made to fit the opening and fits. The only issue we have is he did not like how we were going to install the door but we have called with a solution with no response back. Our preference would be to install the door but I am willing to deliver the door and take money off of what he owes me and let him have someone else do the install. If he wouldve returned his phone calls from my installer or emails from me we couldve come up with a solution.

I have contacted Mr ****** and informed him I would relieve him of his contracted obligation for us to install his door. I told him I would refund him what he has paid for the door thus far which is $400. The total contract was for $5000 of which the windows were $3800. to date he has paid $4200. Even though the door is the proper size he doesnt like the way we would have to install it because of the way his current door is. I understand his feelings and even though we came up with a solution that does not alter the appearance of his kitchen. We had called him with this solution before he had even contacted the BBB with no response back.

11/01/2013Problems with Product / Service
01/24/2013Problems with Product / Service
11/20/2012Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Work has not been completed per contract and per emails.
I had windows replaced, siding and wrapping of trim done, and gutters installed. Per my contract, the half round window in my bedroom was supposed to be wrapped and an area under the door covered with siding and not part of the door, previously agreed to before the work was started, has yet to be completed. Dental molding was supposed to be touched up, per emails. Also, 2 gutters leak and several windows will not close completely. I have sent numerous emails, and for almost the past 2 months have been ignored. Work was supposed to start week of May 21; started week of July 1 (shipping delays I was told). My last check, having me paid in full, cleared August 6. (Was told I had to pay in full because workers had to be paid.) Promised someone would come and finish August 31; no show. Promised someone would come and finish September 3; work not finished. Promised someone would come the next week; weather delay. Promised someone would come the next week; no one came and no response to me since then.

All meetings held with Mr. Cole were with one of my adult sons present, as I am recently widowed and this is my first solo business transaction. Mr. Cole kept telling me to "trust him." I am experiencing panic attacks because of this lack of professionalism on Mr. Cole's part. When I informed him of this, he ridiculed me (all documented by emails from Mr. Cole). This is a case of a business taking advantage of a naive widow.

I would like the work finished. I would also like NO pictures of my home to be used in any promotional materials for this company. The workers broke my soaker hose, which I was told would be replaced, broke 3 gutter diverters, and because of Mr. Cole's mis-measuring, all my blinds had to be replaced, which has cost me more than $100 per window. I would like reimbursement for all my extra costs as well.

I sent an email detailing the timeline. We were paid on August 6th with a punch list and came back on the 9th to work on it. It couldn't be finished that day and she wasn't home anyway. Due to scheduling conflicts on both parts the list wasn't completed until September 3rd which was a holiday because other than that she could only be there in the evenings. At that time the only thing remaining was a color change on some trim that she asked if the installer could do. He said he would check and get back to her. I was out of town until the week after and after meeting with the installer I agreed to the favor and said we would change it. After emails back and forth and delays on receiving them some on her some on me she now has more things to add to the list. I have agreed to cover the piece under the front door, paint her dental molding,change the color of the j-channel by the 1 window, replace the hose and cap the half round window even though it won't look good. All of this has already been conveyed to the customer via email. She never ever mentioned anything about gutters leaking or windows not closing. I challenge the validity but will certainly inspect and fix if needed. Also no windows were mismeasured and if they were it would still not affect the blinds. The only way the blinds would've been affected is if they were installed wrong and on the inside of the window tracks to begin with. The customer had already had them removed from the windows when we arrived to install. This is the first I ever heard about it. Again everything was done on sept 3rd except for something she wanted to change which I agreed to when I got back to work. The list grew from there. We have done several things and made several changes that weren't on the contract and the customer didn't pay for. The customer also inspected the job and said it looked good. My thought is that she is always going to think someone is ripping her off and will never be happy. I hope that's not the case because life is too short for that. I have never ripped anyone off in my entire life and never will. I don't need the money that bad. I have also never lied to anyone and never will. I couldn't keep track of them. The truth is always easier to remember. This should never have made it to the BBB and certainly is not a valid complaint considering I have been in contact with her, I have tried to schedule with her and what we are doing is extra work as well. Thank you

Email from Business:

We were paid on August 6th with a punch list. My installer was out there on August 9th and completed some of the items on the list. After spending 3 weeks trying to schedule a time with the home owner we were finally able to get the rest of the punch list done on labor day September 3rd because that's the only day the homeowner was available. Even though it was a holiday my installer agreed to do it just to get it done. When he finished everything the homeowner and her son inspected the job and was happy with exception of one item that she asked if we could redo and change the color. The installer told her he would check on it and get back to her the following week. I was not in town at the time nor was I the following week because I was dealing with my fathers death with my mother. When I got back in town I met with the installer and told him I agree to make the color change around the one window if that would make her happy. On September 17th the customer emailed me saying she had more items to add to the list. I responded to her on the 21st saying I would go over it with the installer and asked her to email me a picture of the area under the front door she was talking about. I did not hear back from her until the 28th of September asking when I would be out there. I responded the same day telling her I would do the couple of items on the list but was still waiting on a picture I had asked for so I knew exactly what she was talking about. She responded back in a hateful tone saying it was not her responsibility to take a picture and remind me of what I told her I would do extra. After that I didn't respond to her until October 5th mainly because she took that stance with me on something I agreed to do after the fact just to make her happy. In that email I stated I would try to get the installer out there the following week and confirmed she needed it to be after 5:00. She emailed the same day saying that some days she could be home by 4:00 and just needed to know when. I emailed her on the following Thursday saying due to weather at the first of the week we couldn't make it this week and asked her which days she could be home by 4:00. I did not hear from her again until the 23rd asking when her house would be done. I missed her email and she sent another on November 4th saying I hadn't responded to her last 3 emails which I had only missed one the she sent a duplicate of that email on the 5th. I responded on the 5th telling her what we were willing to do and told her I asked the installer to call and schedule it and told her she could feel free to call him as well because it was difficult for me to set his evening schedule. She responded by saying it didn't have to be done in the evening and she was available Saturday. I sent 2 emails back explains the half round window situation that I told her on the initial visit would not be done because it can't be done and then on days we could come out. I have yet to hear back from her. That is the timeline. I have never heard of the gutter leaking or the window not closing. We will replace the hose. I will not use her pictures. I never mismeasured the windows and know nothing about her blinds. She never mentioned them before. I'm glad the she never answers her phone and refuses to return calls so that I had this paper trail.

Please, I would not like this case to be closed. I would like you to let me know how to continue to deal with this case, especially since this business has preferred status with the BBB. How do I dispute that?

I called several times last week, and left 3 messages. Please let me know what to do to continue.

**** ******

wow really? All the work was completed that was on the punchlist that **** and I made together and confirmed over and over while I was at her house with her son present. Both agreed. The installer said he would caulk the areas she was talking about and she said she prefer to do it so he even gave her a tube of caulking to do so. the area under the front door was done in white like agreed upon and as soon as they were done with that she started painting it blue. as cold as it was that day I'd be surprised if the paint sticks. After she refused to speak to me which the installer said 3 times "she dont want to talk to you" why would I set to come back and inspect?? I owe NOTHING for the blinds. The windows were not mismeasured and even if they were the blinds would still fit. Also we did not remove the blinds nor did we put them back up. I left Mrs ****** an email to come out monday afternoon to inspect the items on the punchlist that we agreed upon. NEVER have I said anything inappropriate about her or anyone else. Nor would I. Just got her response to my email and she said not to contact her except through the BBB. The job is done and complete. The punch list has been done and the service has been done. She confirmed with installers then refused to speak to me and still refuses. I have been nothing but nice and respectful to her.

06/16/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

On February 28, 2013 I signed a contract with ***** **** of 1st Choice Home Remodeling for kitchen cabinet refacing. We gave ***** a $610 deposit at that time. According to the terms of the contract, we had until March 4, 2013 at midnight to change our minds and cancel the contract. I faxed over the cancellation on March 1, and I also called ***** to tell him that we were not going to move forward with the project due to another unexpected household repair. ***** told me that he had already ordered our materials and was going to be "stuck" with them. He offered to discount the fee, but I told him we could not afford it at this time. We asked for a refund of our deposit. On May 30, 2013 he sent a refund check for $200 and said the balance would soon follow. On July 10, 2013 he sent a check for $210.00. To date we have not received the remaining $200 refund. I have called him and emailed numerous times. He keeps telling me that he will get the balance to me. I am tired of waiting. I think this is VERY unprofessional behavior.

I expect a prompt refund of the remaining $200 deposit that he owes us.

04/10/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

LIED ABOUT PRODUCT/FAILURE TO INSTALATE AROUND PRODUCT. INCREASE IN ENERGY COST. OUTSIDE NOISES. UNFINISH JOB. DOOR NOT REPLACED. UNSATISFIED.
AFTER NUMERIOUS TRIES BY PHONE TO CONTACT 1st CHOICE HOME REMODELING, LLC ABOUT THE JOB THEY DID WHEN INSTALLING THEIR NEW REPLACEMENT WINDOWS AND PATIO DOOR W/ SLIDING SCREEN DOOR I HAVE YET TO HEAR BACK FROM THIS COMPANY. I HAVE LEFT MESSAGES WITH EACH CALL. BUT NO RETURN CALLS.

THEY STILL OWE ME A SLIDING SCREEN DOOR FOR THE NEW PATIO DOOR THEY INSTALLED. THE SCREEN DOOR WAS DAMAGED IN SHIPPING AND WAS TAKEN BACK WITH THE INSTALLER AND SUPPOSED TO BEEN REORDERED AND INSTALLED.

I PURCHASED THESE WINDOWS AND DOOR WITH THE UNDERSTANDING THAT THESE NEW WINDOWS AND DOOR WOULD LOWER MY ENERGY BILLS AND WOULD PAY FOR THEMSELVES IN A FEW YEARS IN ENERGY SAVINGS. SO FAR MY ENERGY BILL HAS RISEN OVER $100.00 PER MONTH SINCE THE INSTALL. THE NOISE LEVEL FROM OUTSIDE HAS RISEN TO THE POINT THAT IT SOUNDS AS IF THE WINDOWS ARE OPENED. THIS IS UNEXCEPTABLE.

I CONTRACTED AND PAID $7800.00 IN FULL TO THIS COMPANY IN GOOD FAITH THAT THEIR PRODUCTS WAS THE NUMBER ONE PRODUCT IN REPLACEMENT WINDOWS.

I WAS ALSO PROMISED DURING OUR CONVERSATION WITH THE IN-HOME VISIT THAT THE NEW INSTALLED WINDOWS WOULD BE SEALED AND INSTALATED INBETWEEN THE WINDOW FRAMES AND HOUSE FRAME WORK OF THE WINDOW OPENINGS IN WHICH WAS NOT DONE. BEING NOT DONE AS PROMISED HAS ALLOWED COLD AIR IN AND HEAT OUT.

I WANT THESE ERRORS FIXED AS SOON AS POSSIBLE AT NO COST TO ME BRING I HAVE PAID IN FULL FOR THE JOB BACK IN OCTOBER/NOVEMBER 2013.

DOWN PAYMENT WAS MADE IN SEPTEMBER 2013.

$1800.00 FOR DOWN PAYMENT BY CHECK. REMAINING $6000.00 BY CHECK AFTER INSTALLED.

OWNERS NAME OF 1st CHOICE HOME REMODELING, LLC IS ***** ?
CONTRACTOR/INSTALLER IS ***** ?

I AM UNABLE TO LOCATE MY INVOICE/CONTRACT FROM THIS JOB.

WINDOWS TO BE REINSTALLED WITH PROPER INSTALATION AROUND ALL FRAME WORK AS PROMISED FROM SALESPERSON. CLAULK AROUND WINDOWS INSIDE AND OUTSIDE AS PROMISED SALESPERSON. INSTALL SLIDING SCREEN DOOR ON PATIO DOOR AS PROMISED. SCREEN DOOR WAS DAMAGED DURING SHIPMENT.

ENERGY BILLS HAVE INCREASED UP TO $100.00 ABOVE NORMAL BILLS BEFORE NEW WINDOWS WERE PUT IN. SALESPERSON CLAIMS ENERGY SAVINGS WOULD PAY FOR WINDOWS OVER A FEW YEARS. AS TO DATE NO SAVINGS HAVE SEEN, ONLY HIGHER BILLS. NOT EXCEPTABLE.

I WANT ALL THESE ERRORS DONE AS PROMISED FROM OWNER/SALESPERSON DURING IN-HOME VISIT/QUOTE IN A TIMELY MANNER, ASAP.

02/14/2014Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

Given quote for cabinet resurface, paid deposit of $583 with tentative sales contract and verbal. It's been 8months.No approved terms/credit,No refund
this guy has mis-represented himself and his company. 06/29/13 He gave quote and suggestions of terms of payments based on credit approval and then tells us we pay money down and sign sales sheet to get ball rolling but that we can get our money back based on his getting back with us for approval and us agreeing with terms and signing off before anything is done. I call back in a week and tell him we decided not go thru with it and he trying to say he done ordered blanks even before he can tell us or even show us paperwork for credit approval or terms. Says we can't cancel it. Well, he didn't even know we could be approved and he orders blanks? Can you say shyster? I reminded him he said we could get our money back. Tries to start talking like he's out the money instead of us - HELLO! He says he believes he can work out terms to our approval. HELLO! It's been 8months. nothing been done. I don't think the work would be legit! Give us our money back and how would anybody have faith to even sign off on the work if it got done anyway? feeling been snookered!!!

$583