BBB Accredited Business since 05/27/2009

Penguin Air Cooling and Heating Corp.

09/02/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Their licensed tech performed tests and made recommendations but Penguin didn't convey them to our warranty company.
On 5/29/14, ***************** (our home warranty company) sent Penguin Air to our home to address a claim we filed for our AC which was non-operational. Their licensed tech did an inspection and said we needed freon due to a leak. We paid for 4 lbs ($400) to be added (not covered by our warranty). Penguin then performed a leak test and came back a week later to check for leaks in our coils. They found multiple leaks in our evaporator coils and the tech said it needed replacement. He also recommended we replace our condenser unit outside because when you change the coils, the pressure can cause damage to the condenser unit causing damage or complete failure. That coupled with the fact that it was 10 years old (which isn't excessive...but it wasn't a newer unit either). Our warranty company requested repair estimates in addition to the replacement estimates. I made several calls to Penguin Air in an attempt to move things along. Finally, I received a call and follow-up correspondence from our warranty company stating that no repairs or replacement would be made based on recommendations from Penguin Air. According to ***, Penguin Air said that the freon my husband and I paid for now had the unit operational. I called Penguin Air right away and left a message. I called several times with no answer or response to my voice message. I decided to call from a different number and the call was answered on the second ring ~ what about that? *******, who had been avoiding my calls was able to answer when she thought it was a fresh prospect. Now I was furious. Not only did they not convey their licensed technician's recommendations to our warranty company and instead stated that we would be fine with the freon refill (my guess is so they could get more business from the warranty company) ~ now they are ignoring my calls. I emailed ***** (the owner) and requested this info in writing which I have on file. His email to me confirmed all of the above.

Now here we are on 8/31 and BIG surprise - our AC unit is out. Loud banging noises...hot air...frozen lines...and it is 97 degrees. I placed an online service request with our warranty company again who called me today to say that they have approved replacing the leaking coils (without even speaking to Penguin Air). Ya think? This could have all been avoided! And even though I begged the warranty company for a different HVAC contractor, they have issued the work order to Penguin Air again. That was done at 8 am EST this morning. It is now 5:50 EST and I have not heard from Penguin Air.

In summary, they did not stand by their own licensed technicians recommendations. As a result, we have suffered many days this summer in the heat. They ignore telephone calls and are lax in replying to emails.

This has been a nightmare experience and although the home warranty company is not perfect...this could have been avoided if Penguin Air had done the right thing and stood by their own licensed technicians professional opinion.

While we twiddle our thumbs waiting on ******* and ***** to get around to our file through ***, we are getting a second opinion. I have no trust in Penguin Air.

Now that we are back to square one with a system that has no freon, I am requesting a full refund of the service fee and the freon we paid for. They knew their were leaks. Their technician said it would leak again if not repaired / replaced. I was told that they could "recycle" the freon into a system that was repaired or replaced. Now we have lost that investment in a repair that the owner of Penguin Air should have known, as a licensed professional, would result in another system failure.

The warranty company contacted Penguin Air Cooling and Heating Corp to assist this customer with her air conditioning system, which was not cooling. Penguin Air found the air conditioning system was low in Freon and we added Freon to her system which got her system operating and functional. Unfortunately, the warranty company does not cover the cost of freon, which is standard procedure with most warranty companies with whom we work. The warranty company asked Penguin Air to prepare an estimate for a new system, which was submitted the same day. They did not approve the replacement of the system. The warranty company then requested an estimate to replace the cooling coil, which we provided. The warranty company did not approve the replacement of the cooling coil. The warranty company indicated that since the customer was cooling and the system was functioning and operating normally, the issue was resolved. Penguin Air Cooling and Heating Corp performed the services that were requested and approved by the warranty company.

We apologize the customer feels we did not respond to the phone calls. We did contact the customer on several occasions and returned her calls, however it is the responsibility of the customer to work with their warranty company regarding any and all repairs. The warranty company then contacts us to inform us of a service request. This is the a standard policy when working with warranty companies.

Penguin Air Cooling and Heating did exactly what we were requested to do, which was get the customer cooling and comfortable. We did make recommendations to the customer's warranty company, however no further repairs or replacements were approved by the warranty company for this customer. This is not the first time a warranty company has not approved further repairs based on our recommendations. We are sorry her system has quit working, but with the significant heat of the summer season it is not uncommon for older systems to fail even after they have been serviced previously.

We received a call from the warranty company on Monday, September 1, 2014 asking us to prepare a quote for a cooling coil, which we prepared and sent within 10 minutes. We then received a call back from the warranty company requesting a quote for a new A/C system, which we sent at 5pm. At 7:30pm on 9/1/14, we received another call from the warranty company to prepare 8 additional separate quotes for replacement air conditioning systems because the customer asked for quotes for multiple manufacturers with multiple SEER ratings, which we are in the process of doing. The warranty company never asked us to contact the customer and did not inform Penguin Air Cooling and Heating that they had approved anything for this customer but they were reviewing quotes.

Penguin Air is sincerely sorry for the confusion this customer has experienced with their warranty company regarding approvals and recommendations. Penguin Air is happy to fully refund to this customer the service charge fee and the cost of the Freon. We are placing a check in the mail todayl

Heating & Air Conditioning, Air Conditioning Systems - Cleaning, Air Conditioning Repair, Heating & Air Conditioning - Filters, Air Conditioning & Heating Contractors - Commercial, Air Conditioning & Heating Contractors - Residential, Heating Contractors, Heat Pumps, Air Conditioning Contractors & Systems