BBB Accredited Business since 02/10/2005

L and L Fence Company, Inc.

10/16/2014Guarantee / Warranty Issues | Read Complaint Details

While salesman, ***** *******, was pricing a split rail fence for me on 9/23/14, my neighbor who has anger issues came out in a rage. He said to me, "Are you sure you don't want a privacy fence." I told him I would consider it if he could put it up right away. He said if I would sign the contract then, he would have it up on Monday. Of course, the privacy fence cost more than the split rail. His crew showed up on Monday in the rain, said they couldn't install the fence because it would short out their tools. My yard had recently been core aerated and was a field of mud. They were going to leave the boards in the mud with two days of rain in the forecast. I told them it was too muddy and would kill the new grass leaving the wood there that long. ***** then said they could install the fence Thursday morning. L & L was a no-show with no courtesy phone call. When I called to see what the problem was, he indicated he had told me Thursday or Friday, which was a lie. I called him on it and have our conversation saved on my answering machine. Then he told both me and my neighbor, who by then was also relying on him to be here Friday morning that he would be here Friday morning at 9:00 to install the fence, give or take 15 minutes. Again a no-show. No response to my e-mail; no response to my by now irate phone call; no response to my neighbor who had ************* here to do the fence on their side of the property line. I have advised L & L I want my deposit back and that I want to cancel my contract. I did not expect such poor service from *****, who got me to sign the contract without getting competitive pricing by telling me he would install it right away. Such poor customer service!!!
Product_Or_Service: Privacy fence

Refund of my security deposit and cancellation of my contract. I desire to work with a fence company who is more customer-oriented and doesn't fabricate installation schedules. He has caused two people to take the day off work and the installation of a temporary fence that now has to be removed. And he will not return our phone calls.

We went out to give Ms. ****** an estimate on 9/23/14. While measuring for a new fence and listening to how Ms. ****** wanted to make changes, she and her neighbor got into a verbal altercation. Shouting obscene profanity's at one another.

I waited for the two of them to finish their argument and continued with my estimate. While writing up the estimate I ask Ms. ****** was she sure she did not want a privacy fence, we had originally discussed installing a 3-rail fence with wire. She decided she wanted to change to a privacy fence. As a gesture of good will I gave her a discount due to the issues she and her neighbor were having.

We arrived at Ms. ******'s home on 9/26/14 to start the installation, as I promised we would. Unfortunately the weather turned and it bagan to rain. My crew asked Ms. ****** if it would be ok to leave the material in a natural area in her back yard. We explained to her we could not work in the rain with electric saw's, etc. She stated under no circumstance could we leave the material in her natural area of her back yard, she said "the wood will get muddy and will not look new when installed". The crew loaded the material back on the truck and departed for the day.

I told her we would be back the following Tuesday, 9/30/14. We arrived on Tuesday 9/30/14 around 9:45 to begin her installion. Ms. ****** met the crew and told them her yard was too muddy from the rain/areation and asked them if they could put wood/felt down to walk on. *****, the crew leader explained to her that we did not do that. He also explained to her when intalling a fence your yard will get a little messy during the installation. She told them to leave, she did not want anyone on her yard because it was still wet.

Once again the crew packed the material back up and left the job, this time due to customer not wanting anyone on the lawn. Ms. ****** called the office, I am out on appointment's through out the day; however, I always return calls. I called Ms. ******, she immediatley started in on my work ethic stating how unprofessional L&L Fence is and me. I explained to her the installation process is always a littel messy, but when we are finished we always return the area back to the way it was. I then re-scheduled Ms. ****** for 10/2/14 installation. Due to unforseen circumstances (work on another job being completed) we were unable to make it to Ms. ******'s home. I called her in am on 10/2/14 to let her know we would be there on 10/3/14. Ms. ****** started telling me again how unprofessional I was and how my *************** would be so dissapointed in how I am running L&L Fence.

We arrived the morning of 10/3/14 to install Ms. ******'s fence she immediately met the crew with an hostile attitude. *****, the crew leader immediately called me. He stated Ms. ****** was being very unprofessional with them and he was not going to be spoken to in such a disrespectufl manner. I instructed ***** to leave the job site. I was out on appointment; however, I immediatley called Ms. ****** she began telling me how bad we were as a company. I stopped her to let her know I was no longer going to be spoken to in that manner. Please keep in mind the unprofessional language this lady would use. Our contract plainly states that if the customer cancel the 25% deposit is Non Refundable.

As a gesture of good will I told her I would refund her deposit of $300.00. So on 10/3/14 I refunded Ms. ******'s deposit. I have attached the signed contract and the receipt showing the day the refund was processed.
In closing I would like to say L&L Fence has a long reputable reputation. We strive to always put the needs of our customer's first. Ms. ****** never gave L&L Fence the opportunity to begin/complete the job. L&L Fence did everything we could to please this customer.

This response is a total fabrication by Mr. ******* meant to save his reputation. Rather, he spoke to my neighbor, **********, and was given the exact information about installation that I was. The situation was exactly as stated in my complaint. Believe me, L & L Fence would not have returned my deposit or made any attempt to set foot on my property had I not filed a BBB complaint. Not long after getting e-mail confirmation of the BBB complaint, his truck rolled up. By that time, my neighbor had already ordered a privacy fence from *************. Later that day, Mr. ******* also called my home and left a very hateful message on my answering machine. If anyone wants to have a fence installed by a customer-service oriented company, they will not want to contract with L & L Fence. I have contracted for a split rail fence with a more reliable vendor and am glad I need have no further communication with Mr. *******.

Fence Contractors