Standard 1: Oversight of Operations and Staff - Organizations shall have a board of directors that provides adequate oversight of the charity's operations and its staff. Indication of adequate oversight includes, but is not limited to, regularly scheduled appraisals of the CEO's performance, evidence of disbursement controls such as board approval of the budget, fund raising practices, establishment of a conflict of interest policy, and establishment of accounting procedures sufficient to safeguard charity finances.
Reading In Motion does not meet this Standard because its board of directors does not:
- Review the performance of the chief executive officer at least once every two years.
Standard 17: Web Site Disclosures - Include on any charity websites that solicit contributions, the same information that is recommended for annual reports, as well as the mailing address of the charity and electronic access to its most recent IRS Form 990.
Reading In Motion does not meet this Standard because the organization's website, readinginmotion.org, does not include all of the recommended information for those charity websites that solicit for donations. Specifically, it does not include:
- Electronic access to the organization’s most recent IRS Form 990.
- What personal information is being collected and how it will be used.
- How to contact the charity to review personal information that is collected and request corrections.
- How to inform the charity that the visitor does not want his/her information shared with others.