Better Business Bureau of Central New England is alerting fans making purchases for the Boston Bruins Stanley Cup Finals to be cautious when buying tickets and other memorabilia online. Major sporting events always inspire scammers to capitalize on the scarcity of tickets and fans’ desire to purchase souvenirs or a favorite player’s jersey.
Bruins fans need to be cautious of online ticket sellers because many are not licensed or bonded, and are often found on unregulated online auctions, online classifieds and bulletin boards using person to person sales. Stay alert when searching for tickets or other merchandise to be sure you are purchasing the real deal and are not being taken by a scammer.
“Fans need to do thorough research before spending large amounts of money on tickets or merchandise,” said Nancy B. Cahalen, president & CEO of the Better Business Bureau of Central New England. “As the series continues and the games move back to Boston, fans may start to get desperate to find ways to be a part of the action. This can lead them in the wrong direction, fans often purchase tickets that never arrive or find out they’re counterfeit when they try to enter the arena.”
If you are considering buying tickets or memorabilia on the secondary market, BBB offers the following tips to help ensure a successful transaction:
· Check to make sure the ticket broker is licensed as required in the state of Massachusetts.
· Avoid paying cash for tickets in person from a stranger.
· Never wire funds for payment.
· Check if the ticket broker is a member of the National Association of Ticket Brokers (NATB) and review a business’ rating and complaint activity by checking their BBB Business Review.
· Visit several websites to compare prices and availability.
· Verify the location of the seats on a seating chart provided by the venue to avoid purchasing non-existent seats or seats with obstructed views.
· Pay with a credit card or by PayPal. Both will offer you protection if tickets or merchandise do not arrive or are counterfeit.
· When buying tickets and merchandise through eBay, choose a seller with a long history of satisfied customers.
· Be wary of ticket and merchandise offers that are being marketed at extreme discounts. If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.