BBB Accredited Business since 11/12/2009

Orange Oil Co., Inc.

12/07/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Orange Oil Co. did not complete the installation process of the oil burner purchased through them.
In June of 2011 my wife ashley and I purchased a buderus G125 oil burner and water heater from Orange Oil Co. We payed for all the services and contractors necessary for the job (electricians, plumbers,masons, orange oil technicians)along with the permits required for the job completion. On 6/22/11 the furnace installation was said to be completed. On 6/27/11 the finished job was inspected and signed off on by Scott ********* of conservation services group, a company funded by national grid. On 11/7/13 we had our burner serviced and inspected for the first time because it had shut off and would not come back on. We were told that we should have it serviced at 1500 hours and this was normal. On 2/12/14 they were called again because we were smelling burned oil downstairs where our boiler is located and they again changed the spray nozzles even though it had only been 800 hours since it was last serviced. We were told that they did not know why i was smelling burning oil but not to worry about it, which i thought was odd. On 12/23/14 we called orange oil again because our entire house smelled like burned oil and it was getting too much to handle. The technician came by and looked at everything, measured the draft in the chimney, and cleaned out the ash door on the bottom of said chimney. He made a comment about it being weird that we did not have a stainless steel chimney liner, as it was common practice to put them in when these types of oil burners are installed. He said he would make a note of it and let us know the outcome. After not hearing anything about it we figured that it was nothing and forgot about it. The smell of burning oil was still happening and we got worried. So we decided to get our chimney swept and inspected, fearing that there was a crack or it was clogged since we have a fireplace and oil burning sides of the chimney. We called d and d masonry out of palmer ma, and they came on 9/30/15 to inspect our chimney. Within minutes the mason noticed that something wasnt right with the way the pipe going into the chimney was from the oil burner. There was silicone caulking around the pipe, which had melted down the outside of the chimney. He then shut off the furnace and attempted to pull the pipe going into the chimney from the burner out. As soon as he pulled on the pipe it broke free of the chimney and he noticed that the other side of the pipe that was supposed to be going into the chimney and pushing the burnt oil fumes out had completely rotted out inside the chimney. He released the other side of the pipe from the burner and noticed that it was full of ash, which he cleaned out. He then notified me that this was an emergency situation and he had to call his supervisor to notify him of what he had found. He told me that he had to leave the burner off until they could install a stainless steel sleeve in the chimney and replace all the pipes inside the chimney, and explained to me that this was the reason i was smelling fumes inside my house. I then immediately called orange oil co to tell them of these findings and was told that the technician was in greenfield and would call me back when he got back. The mason from d and d then quoted me for a stainless steel liner that would cost 2500 dollars and said he would get it for me the next morning. When the technician contacted me from orange oil, he was shocked at the price of the liner and said that they would install one for 800 dollars with their own mason or give me an 800 dollar credit on our account. When i asked him why their wasnt one he told me that he "dropped the ball on this one" and that their records showed that we paid for it when the installation was made of the burner and he should have came and made sure the installation was completed before signing off on it. I then stated that we had been complaining about the burned oil smell and he said that it was in my records and so was the fact that his tech noticed no liner.

We would like an immediate installation of the chimney liner that we were billed for. We would also like a credit on our account for the service calls that we called in due to the smell of burning oil that they had no resolution for. We would also like for someone to inspect their technicians practices, since a chimney mason noticed immediately that the job was not done correctly, and their technicians did not see this in any of the times they came to our house. From my understanding, whenever a burner is to be serviced, part of their job is to inspect all pipes that are connected to the burner, and look at the chimney itself to make sure there are no clogs. The fact that we had carbon monoxide coming into our house due to the negligence of their technicians is very unsettling.

Oils-Fuel, Appliances-Small-Service & Repair, Appliances - Major - Service & Repair, Air conditioning & Heating Contractors - Commercial, Air conditioning & Heating Contractors - Residential, Heating Contractors, Air Conditioning Contractors & Systems