Central & Western Massachusetts and Northeastern Connecticut

BBB Accredited Business since 11/29/2007

Central Mass Building & Construction

07/18/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Improper or inferior service

Complaint: Overall quality of work fails to meet contractual agreement and customer expectations. Additionally, contractor damaged driveway, lawn, and fence.
On 26JUN14, after observing the work that had been done to date, I called Mr. ******'s mobile number and left a voice mail message concerning my dissatisfaction with his work. On the same night, I sent a detailed email communication discussing my concerns as follows:

1. The base of the retaining wall was not dug down to ~ 12" as stated in the contractual agreement

2. The wall is uneven, unlevel, and bowing around a huge stump

3. There are gaps between the blocks (~1-2")

4. The blocks are overhanging (unevenly) from top to bottom

5. The blocks are not butted up against the existing wall and there are missing blocks

6. Concerned with the recommendation of using the existing (broken) sections of wall as back fill. I thought this was an unprofessional recommendation based on the size of the sections and the space they would leave behind the new wall threatening the integrity of retention.

I did not hear back from Mr. ****** until my husband called his mobile line the next day. My husband discussed the points with Mr. ****** and Mr. ****** desperately tried to justify his poor craftsmanship. Suggesting to cover the ugly wall with a fence. Mr. ******, in conversation, expressed discomfort in taking the job which seemed to be over his head.

In addition the the points already discussed, we suffered property damage to our newly landscaped lawn, new fence, 2 year old driveway, and tree.

Mr. ****** verbally agreed to repair the landscape that he damaged with his heavy equipment, to repair the driveway with a landscape tamper, and to provide extra material for my husband to replace the damaged fence. Which brings me to my next issue...the fence that was to be installed per contractual agreement.

"Install gated fence approx. 22' ft. made from white cedar or pine to match existing as best as possible."

The existing fence is a cedar, 6' x 8', dog ear style. The fence Mr. ****** installed is a 4' x 6', picket fence (not at all the same). The fence did not have a gate, was not level, did not reach the retaining wall, and the posts were less than 2' deep. The corner fence was not even secured to a post on one side.Again, my husband complained to Mr. ****** and he has stated that the fence will be corrected.

At this point in the job, we have zero confidence that the finished product will be what was expected, and agreed upon, contractually and otherwise. I'm leary to have Mr. ****** repair the driveway and lawn which cost us ~ $18,000.00 to install.

1. The person that filed this complaint was not the one who hired us or signed the proposal. The ********** mother, ************** hired us,signed the proposal and paid for the work. Once we started the job, we were contacted by ***** and **** ******* the actual **********. We were put in the middle of a family situation but tried to be diplomatic and appease everyone involved.

2. We had to drive a backhoe on the lawn to access the area where the retaining wall was being done. It would be impossible for any person to avoid driving on the lawn and if we could have avoided it we certainly would have.

3. We did not dig down 12" in some areas because there was a frost wall. In areas where there was no frost wall we dug 12" down and added stone.

4. The signed contract stated we would be using cement blocks and the debris from the original wall would be used for fill. We explained that the cement blocks were for retention purposes only and not esthetic.

5. There was a small portion of the fence approx. 22' that was included in the proposal. We agreed to remove the section that was installed and redo it to meet the*********** expectations. The ********* **** sent a text and told me he would finish the fence using the last payment of $2,000.00 that was not received to purchase fencing.

6. There was a large stump in the retaining wall which myself and the ********** agreed to leave as is. We all agreed that removing this may cause the wall to collapse.

7. We verbally agreed to come back and re install the fence to the customers satisfaction, repair any damage to the lawn and repair the driveway. The ********** have decided to part ways without us returning to fix their concerns.

8. We argree to forgo the final payment of $2,000.00 so the ********** can purchase and install the new fence. We agree to refund the customer $1,000.00(our labor cost) for any repairs to the property. Due to the price of materials, removing debris from the site, transporting the backhoe and fuel we believe reliquishing $3,000.00 will easily cover the expense for the fence and repairs.

03/14/2013Billing / Collection Issues

Construction & Remodeling Services, Drafting Services, Windows - Installation & Service, Home Builders, Kitchen & Bath - Design & Remodeling, Home Improvements- Additions, Home Improvements, Siding Contractors, Roofing Contractors, Contractors-General, Demolition Contractors