BBB suggests before selecting a remodeling contractor, you do the following:
* Plan your project from start to finish, and be specific in explaining exactly what you want.
* Be sure to approve any architectural plans that are involved before the contract work begins.
* Compare costs before making a financial commitment. Solicit two or three bids for the remodeling work you are planning. Discuss bids in detail with each contractor.
* Ask the contractor for local references and find out if he or she is a member of a professional remodelers' association.
* Find out if a contractor is insured against claims covering worker's compensation, property damage, and personal liability.
* Check with state, county, or city housing authorities to be sure that a contractor meets all area licensing/bonding requirements.