Give yourself the gift of assurance this Mother's Day
BBB offers advice for successful Mother’s Day shopping
Mother’s Day is this Sunday, and whether you are ordering flowers, going with custom jewelry or arranging a special spa day, Better Business Bureau serving Central, Coastal, Southwest Texas and the Permian Basin wants you to be a smart shopper.
According to a survey conducted on behalf of the National Retail Federation, consumers are expected to spend an average of $162.94 on Mother's Day gifts this year. Two-thirds (66.6%) of those celebrating will buy mom her favorite flowers, spending a total of $2.3 billion. This means some of you will be on the hunt for a trustworthy florist.
Last May BBB received more than 772 complaints nationwide against local and online florists. This number is up from the previous year. Many complaints allege delivery or advertising issues. Others claim they received only partial refunds and product quality problems.
When finalizing your Mother’s Day gifts or shopping online, BBB recommends this advice:
● Do your homework. Before making a dinner reservation, ordering flowers, jewelry or any other gifts for Mother’s Day, check out the company’s BBB Business Review at bbb.org. For a list of Accredited Businesses, visit checkbbb.org.
● Ask about guarantees. Request a written receipt for the order and ask about the business's refund policy if the delivery is late, never arrives or is in bad condition.
● Confirm shipping and delivery. If you are having a gift shipped or delivered, check with the retailer or on the website to be certain you have allowed enough time for delivery. Make sure the date is clearly specified and guaranteed.
● Make sure the business has your contact information. There are times when delivery instructions or dinner reservations need to be confirmed, or a delivery driver needs additional directions. Make sure the company you are working with has a call-back phone number in case they need to reach you.
● Check out the business. Be sure to look for the BBB Accredited Business seal when shopping online. All online seals should directly link to the company’s BBB Business Review.
Be sure to look for these approved seals when shopping online:
Check out BBB's Mother's Day Video Press Release