Educational Consumer Tips
Better Business Bureau
When the pest control job gets too big for a flyswatter, a mousetrap or a do-it-yourself spray, it's probably time to call in a professional service. Before you do, check around for a reliable one.
- Start with research - Evaluate pest control professionals and companies that are members of national, state or local associations. Always check out the business’ BBB Business Review at bbb.org to find a local professional as well as to check out the company’s track record and customer reviews.
- Check for licensing - Verify license or other credentials of the pest control professional which comes to solve your pest problem
- Obtain some estimates. Get bids from several pest management companies, and make sure you are comparing apples to apples. BBB provides a free Request a Quote service to make it easier to gather estimates from local BBB Accredited Businesses.
- Review your contract - Before signing a contract, be sure to fully understand the nature of the household pest(s) to be exterminated, the extent of the infestation, and the work necessary to solve the problem. Make sure all guarantees are clearly stated in writing with details about the service agreement. Be sure you understand what the company will do if pests continue or come back after treatment.
- Verify for insurance - Find out if the pest control company has liability insurance to cover any damages to your house or furnishings during treatment.
- Warranty: If a guarantee is given, know what it covers, how long it lasts, what you must do to keep it in force, and what kind of continuing control, prevention and management are necessary.
- Be cautious with the price - Be wary of companies that come to your home uninvited and offer to give your house a free inspection for pests or press you for immediate and/or costly treatments. High-pressure sales tactics: Buy value, not price. Beware of companies that offer bargains which sound too good to be true. Use caution with companies that come to your home uninvited and offer a free inspection for pests or press you for immediate and/or costly treatments.