Educational Consumer Tips
Better Business Bureau
If you are need of an AC repair, BBB recommends the following when looking for an AC contractor:
- Research company background and licensing. Visit www.BBB.org for the Business Review of any AC service company you plan to hire to learn more about its reputation and history of complaints. Ask if the company and its employees are licensed and insured.
- Compare prices and service packages. Get at least three estimates for any air conditioning repair or maintenance work. All bids should be in writing and should provide a full description of the services to be provided and the materials to be used.
- Review warranty coverage. Find out if the company offers any type of warranty or guarantee and make certain you understand the terms and conditions of the coverage. Also, be sure to check the warranty on your current air conditioning unit to determine whether any repairs or replacements may be covered.
- Ask about energy efficiency. Many new air conditioning units are manufactured to be significantly more energy efficient than others, which often qualifies them as tax deductions. Make sure you get the necessary paperwork to cash in on those savings.
- Hire a professional to maintain your heating and cooling system. Arrange for annual maintenance with a qualified technician. This includes checking the airflow over the coil, testing for the correct fluid (refrigerant) level, checking the combustion process and ensuring proper air-flow to each room.