BBB offers the following tips to avoid tech support scams:
- Don’t turn over control of your computer or give your computer password to someone you don’t know.
- Do not give banking, credit card or other personal information to a strange caller.
- If a caller notifies you that he or she has detected a virus or other threat to your computer, hang up.
- If you have any concerns about your computer, contact your security software company directly and ask for help.
- If you do pay for tech support services, pay with a credit card in case you need to challenge the charge. Do not send money via a wire service.
- Check BBB Business Reviews by going to www.bbb.org or by calling 309-688-5124.