BBB Accredited Business since 01/01/2010

Dave Appell Equipment

06/16/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I put $1000 down on a truck that I was told was road ready and a good clean truck. A mechanic looked at it and said it was not.
Problem date: 5/28/14. I was looking to purchase a truck from this company. They had stated that the truck was road ready and a clean, good truck. I told them I was sending a mechanic to inspect the truck and was told that someone else was on their way to look at it. I was told that if the other person liked the truck that they would let them buy it unless a deposit was put down of $1000. The deposit was sent. The mechanic looked at the truck and said that the truck would not pass DOT inspection and therefore was not road ready. He said that there was a list of items that would have to be fixed before it passed. He also said that there were major repairs that needed to be done on the truck that would cost in excess of $10,000 to fix. He also said that because there was an air line that was split open there was potentially dirt in the engine and he couldn't verify the health of the engine without tearing the engine apart. He recommended that I not purchase the truck. I have an emailed list from the mechanic of all of the items that need to be addressed. It points out which items need to be fixed to pass DOT inspection, to be road ready. An invoice was faxed over for the deposit that said that it was non refundable that was supposed to be signed by me and sent back. I did not sign that document agreeing to the deposit being non refundable. I believe I was misled by their statements that the truck was road ready when in reality it is not. Had I known the true condition of the truck, I would not have sent the deposit.

I would like my $1000 deposit refunded.

We took the 99 Freightliner ***** was interested in on trade in late April of 2014. The customer who traded it in drove over 1000 miles with a loaded trailer. He had been driving across country with it for several years. This is exactly what we told *****. We had another customer who purchases several trucks a year from us interested in the truck also. We told ***** and our other good customer the first person who pays for the truck is the one who will get to buy it that is the only fair way to do it. ***** then asked if he could put a deposit on the truck. We told him we do not like to take deposits and he was told specifically 5 times that if he chose to put a deposit on the truck it would be %100 nonrefundable. ***** sent a $1,000 deposit on 5/28/14. After we received the deposit we informed the other customer the truck was sold. A few days later ***** sent a mechanic to inspect the truck. We never heard anything from ***** or the mechanic. After several attempts we finally where able to contact ***** about 10 days later when he said he decided not to buy the truck and wanted his deposit back. We contacted our other customer who we do a lot of business with and told him the truck was available for sale. Unfortunately he had already gone to another dealer and purchased a truck. So we have lost a sale for taking a deposit. Please anyone reading this do not ask us if you can put a deposit on a truck unless you are %100 positive you are going to buy it. We have lost to many sales in the past by taking deposits.

I feel that the truck was misrepresented. The statement regarding the previous owner driving the truck loaded being told to me is accurate. However, I made it clear that I wanted to send a mechanic to ensure that the truck would pass DOT inspection to which I was informed that it was a good truck and it would pass. For that reason I am asking for the deposit back because I was assured that the truck would pass. The truck has issues that will prevent it from passing DOT inspection. The items that the mechanic said were wrong with the truck are: Pittman arm loose on steering box, may need steering gear box (selector shaft moves), left cab marker light out, both rear signals flash with left signal, air leak in dash on rec mode. The mechanic also said that air compressor clean air hose broken off letting dirt in compressor and engine. There is also a lengthy list of other items that the mechanic recommended need to be fixed to make the truck more operable that are in addition to the items that are needed to be fixed to pass DOT. The mechanic went 2 days after the deposit due to scheduling. There was 1 phone call made by the seller to me 6 days after the deposit. During this phone call, I was told there was an interested buyer in the truck but they wanted to check with me first to determine if I was purchasing the truck. I informed them that due to the truck not being able to pass DOT inspection as they said that it would, that I would not be purchasing the truck. I requested my deposit back due to the truck being misrepresented. The seller has refused to send the refund back.

08/19/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Purchased a truck and it broke down on the way home and have had nothing but trouble since. Have not even been able to work in the truck.
We purchased a 379 Peterbilt on July 8th. They knew trouble we had before and the salesman said that if we did not like it we could return it within thirty days. The truck broke down on way home, it acted like it was running out of fuel, we stopped at a garage and they had to change the fuel filter, which was completely plugged and milky. It has continued to not run right and we have not been able to work in it. It keeps getting fuel in the oil. We had to put new injectors in, change the oil three times, change the transfer pump and now just rebuilt the fuel pump and it still is not fixed. We have tried to contact them multiple times before the 30 days was up and they would not return any of our calls. When we brought it home also the leveling valve was hooked up wrong because a piece to the leveling valve was broke and they specifically told us that the leveling valve was just changed. The one piece was changed but not the broken piece. We have been unable to get in contact with them. Now today that our thirty days is past they finally came to the phone. Said they never make a deal of thirty days and said to get our lawyer. I am very displeased with this company and how they are handling their business. The truck was 19,500 and they said everything worked great on it that they just got done driving it, that they hauled their machines with it. They even spoke to our banker indicating the truck was ready to go and that there was no problems. They never mentioned the plugged steering tire or the broken piece to the leveling. The oil had not even been changed in the truck before we bought it.
We purchased the truck on July 8, 2013 and the problems began on the way home that day. We purchased it in Illionis and we live in Ohio. It is a 379 Peterbilt and we paid with a bank check.

We would like them to maybe consider on paying for the truck to get worked on by a Cat specialist to get the problem fixed. We have purchased the truck and put new parts in the truck along with a steering tire since it is illegal to drive it with a plugged tire. I believe they knew there was a problem and that is why they sold it. The fuel going into the oil was taking some time to do, so I believe they knew, now it is only taking hours and needs to be fixed.

******* and ******* ******** asked if someone could stay a little late on 7/8/13 so they could pick up the truck they were buying. They finally arrived 2 hours after closing time. They looked the truck over for an hour only to tell the salesman that they were going to spend the night anyway. The next morning they came in and inspected the truck for another hour and decided to take it. We were asking $19,500 for the truck and gave a $1,000 discount so we sold it for $18,500. No one ever told them they had 30 days to return the truck. No one ever said that we hauled equipment with it. The truck ran and operated good when it was here. ******* called around July 22nd and said the truck needed a new turbo. I gave him my cell number and told him I would look into seeing if we could help even though the truck was sold AS/IS No warranty. ******* called back the next day and said that now it needed a new head,injectors,and injector cups. and he was not sure what else it would need. I called ******* on July 24th and told him there was nothing we could do to help him since we all ready discounted the truck $1,000 and they bought it AS/IS no warranty. No one ever told them they could return the truck with in 30 days. They are lying about that statement so I do not believe anything they have to say.

The information they stated is false. We had to stay because no one was in office to prove that our check was ligit. We have the proof of that since they spoke to our banker the next morning. We also have the proof of the break down on way home and the money we have put into truck and are still putting into it. The truck will not run since it is still getting fuel in the oil. Many parts have been changed and still doing it. Also when had the fuel pump rebuilt the cat mechanic said it looked like someone already tried that. I believe the truck to be a lemon since the leveling valve was hooked up wrong because a piece was broke, the fuel filter being so bad we coulndt make it home and with the fuel. The truck has not even been able to work because of the problems. We know what they told us.

Truck Dealers, Motorcycles - Dealers, Trailers - Truck, Trailer Sales