BBB Accredited Business since 12/01/2004

All Around the House and More, Inc.

3 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 1 closed in last 12 months

06/09/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I contacted them to purchase and install primed baseboards as well as vinyl flooring. I scheduled an in-person quote with ******* (Owner) and was ready to meet with him to go over our needs. Rather than giving me a quote, he called the day before our appointment to ask if I would be able to provide approximate room figures. I explained my service needs and also noted that I wanted primed baseboards because we are putting our house on the market and would let the next owner take on the painting project (he stated I was smart for this because it would save money). I provided approximate figures and he stated he would be willing to complete the project at the rate of $65.00 per hour plus materials. ******* explained that he felt that the job would not need an in-person quote and that it should completed in 1-2 days. I felt comfortable agreeing to a $65/HR rate given his A+ BBB rating and sent a $350.00 deposit to his office. The work was then scheduled for Thursday, 6/4/15.

******* came to my home the night before the scheduled work to get some detailed measurements, material needs, etc. During this visit, I explained that I wanted primed only in the colonial style baseboard, matching what was already installed in another room, which was shown to him. I told him I wanted baseboards that were primed but not the woodgrain showing through, the same as what was currently installed which was purchased at *******. He noted during this meeting that the job was larger than he expected but did not specify a change in the timeframe indicated.

He suggested going to ******************** which is nearby, which I said was acceptable but I purchased my other ones at ******* and they MAY be cheaper since we are buying a good amount of baseboard (210 lft). I also noted that I would like crown trim in one room as well casing for one doorframe, which he indicated was no problem. I had already purchased the laminate flooring and related glue so no purchases were necessary for the flooring project.

While showing him the baseboard, he indicated that some of the rooms upstairs may need quarter round to cover the gaps between the floor and the baseboard. I explained that I wanted to avoid quarter round if at all possible but understood it may be necessary in the UPSTAIRS bedrooms as some of the gaps were rather large. He voiced compliance with this request.

On Thursday, 6/4/15, his subcontractor, ****** arrived. He began working on the laminate floor that morning. I came home at lunchtime to view the progress. While speaking with him, he noted in an off the cuff remark that the baseboards were being painted and I was completely confused. ****** did not appear to have any information about the painting situation. I came home from work at 4:45 and shortly thereafter ******* arrived to inspect the laminate floor work.

I asked about the baseboards and why they were being sanded and painted. He indicated that they were not in good condition and needed to be sanded and painted. I was taken off-guard and questioned why they were being sanded and painted. He said that I had stated I wanted them painted if needed. I told him that I said that I did not want the wood grains visible in the priming but never mentioned sanding or painting anything. ******* never indicated that the boards had wood grain showing, only that they were in poor condition. (******* stated he purchased the primed contractor pack from *******. I have previously purchased the same product from ******* and am confidant that there would have been no wood grain showing.) I then inquired about the costs related to the sanding and painting to which he replied that the cost was $55 per hour for his painting technician to work for 6 hours and one coat was painted. (Please note there were 20 12ft boards to be sanded and painted, this breaks down to approximately 18 minutes a board, which appears significantly longer than I would expect this task to take for only one coat of paint.)

This conversation continued with me trying to understand my current bill because I did not expect any sort of sanding or painting time and did not agree to such a service. ******* explained that the flooring took 5-6 hours at $65 per hour, the sanding and the painting of the baseboards took 6 hours at $55 per hour, and the time he spent measuring and at ******* was a total of 4 hours at $45 per hour.

I told him that I did not agree to the sanding or painting and he stated that I absolutely, without a doubt, did agree to sanding and painting the boards if needed. I re-explained that I only wanted primer white without seeing through to the grains. He adamantly disagreed and was clearly frustrated. I told him that I did not feel we should be charged for that because it was outside of his instructions but he quickly made his exit and did not provide any further substantive response.

During this conversation, he continued to explain that in an effort to 'save me money', he purchased the contractor packs that were, unfortunately, in poor condition and needed sanding and painting. My wife and I visited ******* that evening and observed the selection of baseboards offered and none of the primed white baseboards needed to be painted or sanded. Any of these baseboards could have been installed immediately upon purchase and, therefore, would have circumvented all of the charges related to the sanding and painting that was allegedly necessary.

The following evening (6/5/15), ******* arrived with the material. I assisted in carrying in the baseboard and quarter round pieces he had purchased, sanded and painted. As I carried in and handled the product, I did not feel it was necessary to ensure that ******* had purchased the correct product to do the job given his BBB accreditation and A+ rating. I did observe that there was a significant amount of quarter round but also knew that ******* had mentioned that he may have to use quarter round in the upstairs so I disregarded that as an issue. I again brought up my dissatisfaction with having to pay for the (entire) sanding and painting services and was again deflected in my attempts to obtain resolution. He stated that I told him to paint it if needed (which I did not) and that I explicitly told him to go to ******* (which I did not). I also would like to note that I never requested the boards to be sanded down due to imperfections.

The following morning (6/6/15), ******* and ****** arrived. ******* left and ****** began working. After the first four baseboards were installed, my wife observed that there were significant gaps between the floor and baseboards. Upon further inspection, it was clear that ******* had actually purchased a shallower depth baseboard than what I showed him that I wanted to match. Due to this, the entire house would require quarter round to seal the gaps which was absolutely unacceptable. I voiced my displeasure with ****** who explained that this issue could have been easily avoided if the appropriate depth baseboard was purchased, noting that this same style is offered in many depths.

At this point, I indicated that work should be halted immediately and that I need to speak with ******* about this to get the issue corrected. My wife and I began to take the remaining baseboards and quarter round out of our house to place it on the driveway for pickup. Coincidentally, ******* happened to arrive just as ****** began packing up his equipment. I explained that the baseboard did not match what I had shown him and reiterated that I did not want quarter round except in the rooms / closets absolutely necessary. I did not even get a chance to ask for the correct baseboards to be purchased and installed before ******* became extremely irate. He stated that it is the same baseboard I told him I wanted and that I had told him specifically that I wanted quarter round throughout the home. He also stated that if he adds quarter round to one room, he would need to do it to all rooms because they connect to one another (when in fact, the majority of rooms in our home do not connect to one another). I tried to re-explain that the depth of the baseboards was not correct and that I did not want quarter round throughout my home. He refused to even listen to my explanation and pulled out his notebook and pointed to a symbol he had written on the page that he apparently uses to indicate quarter round. I stated that regardless of what he wrote down, that it is incorrect. I explained to him that I would not be paying for the material since it was incorrect as well as the painting of the material since, not only was it not requested, it was the incorrect product. I did note that I would be happy to pay for the vinyl flooring installation as it was completed wonderfully.

The subsequent 10-15 minutes consisted of ******* yelling at me within my house and in my driveway stating that I was cheating him and that 'people like you make me sick', all while shaking and pointing his keys in my face. At this time, I chose not to push the issue further as he appeared to be escalating quickly. Once he appeared to begin to be finished with what he had to say, I stated that if he has anything further to say to me it can be said to me in court. I asked him to be sure to take the material he brought because I do not want his product on my property. He stated it was my product and that I am going to pay for it. I stated once again that I want him to take his product to which he stated he would come by later to pick it up (which he did do later that afternoon).

He reversed to the end of my driveway to discuss the situation with ******. I re-entered my home and realized that they had left the four previously installed baseboards in my home. I walked down to their vehicles and asked ******* to remove the baseboards so none of their product is on my property. He refused and stated that he would not go back into my home as the contract was concluded. I walked away and removed the baseboards (without damage) and added them to the pile outside my home for his removal. I had my wife videotape this action for further reference if needed.

On Saturday (6/6/15) afternoon, my wife and I decided that the most appropriate way to handle the situation would be to pay the remainder of the bill once received and ask for mediation through the BBB to obtain a refund for the portions of the bill related to the sanding, painting and purchase of the incorrect product, as well as the product that was not installed in our home. I left a voicemail for ******* at his office number on the same day indicating that I would like an itemized bill with receipts and that I will pay the amount indicated (assuming it coincides to the time he verbally indicated on Friday, 6/5/15, prior to starting the baseboard work) and that a BBB complaint will be filed.

*******, the owner of All Around The House, lied about things I indicated and added services that were not requested. He purchased the wrong materials (even when I explicitly indicated a room we previously had baseboards in for material reference.) Worse yet, he had no interest in resolving any of the issues at hand and instead resorted to yelling, insulting and threatening gestures on my own property. Throughout his explanations of these incorrect services, he continually used the phrase "I am just doing what you said" or "Just doing what the man said." He continually tried to convince me that I indicated that he should do the things he did such as installing quarter round, sanding/painting the baseboards and explicitly going to ******* for our materials. ******* is a dishonest person and does not have the appropriate knowledge and experience I feel would come with BBB accreditation and an A+ rating.

Obtain a refund for the portions of the bill related to the sanding, painting and purchase of the incorrect product, as well as the product that was not installed in our home.

I received a call from the business owner yesterday who indicated he planned to charge only the amount related to the vinyl flooring installation. Assuming this is processed correctly, this issue may be resolved. - **********

01/04/2016Problems with Product / Service
06/29/2015Problems with Product / Service

Handyman Services, Property Maintenance, Construction & Remodeling Services, Carpenters, Painting Contractors