BBB Accredited Business since 04/01/2008

Chily's Drywall Finishing, Inc.

02/10/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Chily's Drywall was hired to dry wall 2 rooms in our basement. They drywalled over a smoke detector in a bedroom, and refused to fix it cussing me out
In 2011 we had Chily's Drywall drywall 2 rooms in our basement. One of the rooms is a bedroom. They completed the work and we paid them by check. I can not recall at this time how much we paid them (Could request from bank). Fast forward to Christmas 2013. We kept hearing a low battery chirping from a smoke detector. We replaced all batteries in all the smoke detectors in our home, but the chirping continued. After walking around the house, we determined the noise was coming from the bedroom Chily's had drywalled. They drywalled over a smoke detector which is against code. After many sleepless nights for our family during the holiday season (because of the noise), I contacted Chily's on 1/9/14 to notify them of what they had done. I was asking that they come correct their mistake. Charlie said that it would be a week before they could come out and that we would have to pay. I told him that I did not feel we should have to pay for their mistake and he informed me that they are not electricians and that is not their responsibility. I told him that if they came out and I was wrong about them covering up the detector, I would pay him for his services, but not if they had covered it up. I also asked why they would not have told us if there was a problem that an electrician would need to address. He only repeated that they are not responsible for "moving" electrical. I pointed out that his workers had no problem taking down an electrical light in one of the rooms. He proceeded to yell **** *** at me, and told me to never contact him again and hung up on me. We have had no further contact with ******* from Chily's. We did in fact have to cut a hole in our ceiling of that bedroom and there was the chirping smoke detector. They covered up the smoke detector because they did a drop ceiling (without consulting with us) instead of drywalling over existing framing around duct work. We now have a hole in the ceiling of our guest bedroom. I felt I was respectful to Charlie about the situation, but did not want to pay for their mistake. Given their mistake I could have been rightfully disrespectful, but refrained. I did not deserve the disrespect that this foul mouthed hot head spewed. We can provide photos of the covered smoke detector.

We do not want Chily's drywall anywhere near our home, but would request that they pay for the repair of the hole in our ceiling. I would also strongly recommend that ******* take some anger management courses along with customer service 101.

Chily's Drywall Finishing, Inc. takes pride in the complete satisfaction of all our customers. We drywalled 2 rooms for ***** ******* at **** **** **** ****************** IL. in the beginning of 2011, we were paid in full with no issued or concerns.
3 years later, in January 2014, we received an irate call from ***** that we had covered a smoke detector. We explained to Mr. ******* that this was not possible, as the detectors are mounted BELOW the ceiling joist. At that point, Mr. ******* began to raise his voice and accused our company of incompetence. We offered to come out, within a week, to check out the situation. Mr. ******* began swearing at this point, again degrading our company. Our company owner did get upset at this point, and a few harsh comments were repeated to Mr. *******.
It was explained to him that we are not framers or electricians, and would have no knowledge if they erroneously framed over it. If our workers would have noticed this by chance, we absolutely would have pointed it out to homeowner. It was also pointed out if he had a building permit, which he did not, the inspector would have insisted the electricians correct this issue! For Mr. ******* to call us 3 years later and accuse us of not doing our job correctly is absurd.
Our reputation, since 1992, has been excellent with all our customers.
We stand behind that record, and perhaps Mr. ******* needs to learn some more positive ways to ask for assistance with his problems. Had he not been so angry and full of insults, we might have been able to help him with the issues, even though they were clearly not of our doing.

Sadly, I expected this farce of a response, but what's more disheartening is their complete lack of disrespect for me as a customer by lying about how the events unfolded. First and foremost I did not call them irate. In fact, as mentioned I wasn't 100% certain it was a smoke detector at the time of my initial call. I had in fact offered to pay for any repair-work that was a result of my poor judgement. I called them so that cutting into the ceiling would be performed with the least amount of damage and ease the repair work. My demeanor was stern when ******* insisted I would pay for any work period. I made statements like "No way am I'm paying you for a patch job if your guys covered up a smoke detector". I also told him I wasn't satisfied that he would have someone out next week. I had a smoke detector beeping in my ceiling. Although, comical, sleeping through it another week because he didn't want to send someone to Springfield wasn't going to satisfy me. At this point the excuses began. First it wasn't a smoke detector (according to his builder friends). Once again I agreed to pay if I was wrong. Then the framers must have covered it up. Nope, it's hanging right where it should be "mounted BELOW" the ceiling joist." as he responded (note: that the ceiling was dropped in that room). I can provide a photo. Then his people weren't electricians. I called him on all his excuses and he didn't like it. For example, why wouldn't you have notified me and I would have had an electrician move it. I did not curse this man or his business, I called him out on his excuses. The comment from me that sent him over the edge was that "I don't understand why your guys wouldn't have said something. I mean would they drop a ceiling under a ceiling fan and just enclose it in? That's idiotic!" That's as irate as I got until he cussed me out, told me never to call his business again and hung up. If I was the irate one, I would have called him back. I didn't. However, after receiving the complaint ******* decided to call my cell phone. My wife answered and informed him that I was not going to speak to him. He then informed my wife that "He is going to handle this by calling the city of Springfield to make sure I had the proper permits". So not only does he disrespect his customers he also threatens them with retaliation. Here's some further information that you should know. Our house was new construction approximately 6 months before we re-hired Chily's drywall (Yes, I said re-hired). They were hired by the contractor who built our home. Our contractor gave us their contact information to finish two rooms in the basement when we were ready. All the electrical work including the smoke detectors for the entire house, including the two rooms Chily's was hired to drywall was installed by our contractor as part of the construction bid. The electrical work and smoke detectors were in place with the permits signed off on by the city before we purchased the house. So, if an additional permit was needed why didn't Chily's drywall obtain the permit? and if I was responsible for the permit, why did Chily's install the drywall without asking for the proper permit? ******* was well aware that our home was built by a contractor (they had drywalled almost entire house just 6 months earlier) and that I had no experience with home construction. It baffles me that 8 other smoke detectors were hung BELOW the ceiling joists throughout our home the same way as the one they covered yet it's everyone else's fault. In regards to it being 2 years later. I feel that was just another excuse. It's simple, had I known they made the mistake during the job, I would have held them accountable for fixing it then. It just so happens that the battery wore out and the chirping gave the mistake away. I would expect that a business with an "excellent reputation" since 1992 would not insist there be a statute of limitations on an obvious foul up on their behalf. In conclusion, I paid this business over $2000 to drywall two rooms in addition to the money they were paid during the initial construction of the home. I called them to cover a simple repair job that amounted to next to nothing in supplies, just someone with experience in cutting out a ceiling section so that I could get to the smoke detector battery and we'd handle the rest from there. What I got was a business owner trying to milk more money out of a previous customer. At this point I am not seeking compensation from Chily's drywall for their mistake. As mentioned I do not want him anywhere near my home. I filed this complaint to notify potential customers that this is how I was treated and that ******* was the one attempting to berate, intimidate, and retaliate against me for a mistake they made while working on my home.

Drywall Contractors