BBB Accredited Business since 06/01/2000

Smith General Contracting

09/01/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

This contractor is unprofessional and rude.
My wife and i purchased this contractors services for a new roof. bill was $7600.00 paid in full by check. I called with some concerns. I was just asking questions. The owner was very rude with me telling me i didn't know what i was talking about and so on. He said that roof won't leak so don't worry about it. I hung up. Well we had three leaks after the first rain. Sean, the sales man came out and looked over were we had leaks. took care of the leak in our kitchen and looked over the skylights that were leaking. told us to let him know if they leak again. they did so he and the owner came back and said they would pull up the skylights to see what is wrong. we took pictures of the leaking at the skylights. the Owner along with the salesman and crew came out on 08/17/15. My wife calls me and states the owner is being rude to her and that there isn't any leak. it is condensation. it is not. I come back home and confront the owner and he is rude with me, telling me i don't know what i am talking about, i am just a stupid truck driver. there is no leak, I am full of ****. He is yelling at me. he then comes at me in a aggressive way and i shoved him back. I then had verbal abuse that i can't repeat here. needless to say my wife called the police. when they got to my house they stayed till the skylights were done. Officers also stated this is not the first time they have had problems with this owner. Now i am waiting for the the leak cause i know that if it wasn't the skylights then there is a leak above somewhere that he didn't search for nor care about. This contractor is very unprofessional and rude to a paying customer. He will never get my business ever again and i am going to get a lawyer to sue for the repairs i know are coming cause of his bad workmanship.

Because of the unprofessional attitude and work along with how the owner conducted himself on a job site with the home owners and not investigating two documented leaks by pictures i feel what was paid for quality work was not provided.

I received a call from Mr. ******** saying his roof leaked. I went to see what I could do. There wasn't really anything showing it leaked. I cleaned & caulked the skylights. I told the homeowners the best I could do is wait, "trial and error" basically. They were nice and said ok. They texted me a couple weeks later with pictures of 2 wet skylights, wet at the bottom corners only. So I went back with ****, the Owner and Foreman, to investigate. He agreed that we couldn't see any leaking from the roof, so we left to gather material to lift and re-set the skylights. The skylights are polycarbonite (plastic) and we set them differently than just tarring them down. First we set aluminum coil stock around the opening. We install a 3-inch double sided seam tape between the skylight and metal. We then glue down the skylight, over the flange, with form flashing. That makes them hard to tear back out. So we scheduled to come back.
When we went back to check on the leaks, we had both skylights lifted up and checked by our entire crew. Every man on the crew agreed that there was no water trail and no signs of any leaks. This is why we feel it must be condensation if it is only dripping right under the skylight. My boss and I were discussing this on the roof near the open skylight hole, when Mrs. ******** started yelling up at us through the opening, saying that we were wrong and that they were leaking. Mr. ******** had previously sent me a text message on my phone telling us not to deal with wife because she would just "*****." (His word, not mine!) And she did "*****" at us and we did not confront her or say anything to her!! **** then told her to settle down and leave us alone (because of my text from Mr. ********). Next thing we know, Mr. ******** showed up and he was mad (apparently because his wife had called and told him that we were being rude to her, which was not true!) He came onto the roof and I was trying to show him why we said condensation was the problem, but he completely ignored me and went straight for ****. **** was sitting by the open skylight when Mr. ******** approached him, threatening to push **** off the roof. And then he actually tried to push **** off the roof!! **** never advanced toward Mr. ******** for him to have this kind of reaction. **** never pushed him back or elevated his anger to match the homeowner's anger. We both called the police and Mr. ******** left the scene.
When the police arrived they allowed us to finish the repair. We stand by our work still, and have no reason to believe that water ran a zig-zag pattern through the materials that were adhered and showed no signs of a trail. Either way, we went back to check our work. we even repaired the skylights! The problem lays with the homeowner assaulting **** and nothing else. We stand by our group decision that it must be condensation.

The account is incorrect. they were very rude to my wife and to me. the police were called only by my wife, and the police also stated that they have had numerous complaints against the contractor. I have retained an attorney. I will handle the problem myself.

Construction & Remodeling Services, Roofing Contractors, Contractors - General