North Star Home Builders

07/04/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Incorrect installation of AC ventilation system, air leakage through electric fireplace, kitchen cabinetry paint is flaking off, false advertising
So the first issue we had been going through with ***** the site supervisor is about the downstairs heating. He came over once and twice now he has told us that the next day the ac repair guy (1/22/14) would be over to check the system out and both times no one ever showed up. Yesterday(1/27/14) he and the ac guy we're suppose to show up and when I called him at noon he said he was in a meeting and would call back as soon as he was out. Never called back. Sunday when I called him about the island water and the heating and fireplace he at first agreed with me when I was repeating what he has been saying to us about heat rising. Then when I asked him the why is there only one register and it is 10 feet off the ground in our living room his demeanor completely changed. I then also was telling him about our fireplace continuously having a breeze come through the front vent when the unit is turned off. We have also been dealing with the improper installation controls of the AC system, presumable because of the location of the thermostats there are wide varying temperatures in the rooms vs hallway. We also have a small breeze that comes through the electrical outlets on southern side of the house where a water line froze. He then quickly made an excuse and hung up on me to then never call us back. So the big point probably would be that we have raised the issue of the heating to ***** numerous times over the last couple of months (Nov/Dec) and his answer has always been heat rises. But each day that it is cold out the temps down stairs will drop to 62 while the thermostat is set to 72 and the unit will try its hardest buy continuously displaying stage 1 & 2 running and then when I push the energy button it will display a use of either 23 1/4 or 24 hours of use for the last 24 hours. I thinking this can't be good for an ac/heating unit to be running both stages nonstop like that for as long as we have been doing it. This has also been very difficult for my wife to properly take care of our newborn child. There is also the issue of false advertising because when we purchased the home it was advertised as an Earth Cents certified home, I have also asked numerous times to ***** and **** about the certification and each time their answer has been oh, well I will get that to you later and now we are nearing our one year mark from purchase. Another issue that I have noticed is that all around in our kitchen paint edges on the cabinetry is flaking off be itself, making us have to daily hunt for paint chips that may have fallen on to the ground so that our child does not become exposed to that hazard. When we purchased the home the first night we had major water leakage inside our master bedroom because of an improperly installed pipe inlet/outlet on our roof, the builder repaired the leak on the roof but has never repaired the continually expanding roof drywall cracking that continues till today. We have had to deal with poor communication and workmanship from a builder that was suppose to be one of the best in this area. We have also noticed unfinished ledges under all of the windows in our home, no caulking just exposed gaps that will allow pests and improper insulation to allow drafts into our home. And one of the ledges was installed with a cracked board that is completely evident to everyone and when I pointed this out to ***** he said all well some times we get boards or ledges that are cracked and it's still usable so that's what you got. There has also been noticeable gaping in our external siding, but I am not sure if that is an actual issue.

I would like to have the safe and operational home that I though I had purchased. I would like to have these issues repaired.

Concerning Mr.**********'s complaint against my company North Star Home Builders.
First let me say that I value all of my customers. North Star Home Builders is one of the most respected names when it comes to building homes in the CSRA. We have built approx. 300 homes in this area in the last 10 years. to my knowledge this is only the second complaint issued against my company. The first, we just could not please the gentleman. He was belligerent and disrespectful of my company and the people that work for me.

Concerning Mr.**********, when I received the email notice from the BBB concerning this case I immediately contacted my superintendent about it. He said that Mr. ********** had some concerns about the placement and quantity of the ventilation ducts in his greatroom and that he tried to explain to Mr. ********** that the placement and sizing of the ducting was done to code, inspected and approved by Columbia county. He also explained the any time you have a two story greatroom you have to use the ceiling fan to move the air where you want it and for proper circulation the doors to all rooms need to be atleast cracked open. Well he doesn't believe that and insist that the installation and sizing of the vent sys is incorrect. He cites that he went down to a neighbors home is the same size and model. Said he talked to the owner there and she said that she is having the same problem and the same problem with getting any action from North Star Home Builders about it. Again I contacted my superintendent and told he to contact her immediately and find out whats going on. He did, her exact words, the guy is a nut, we are very happy with our home. Again at NSHB we value all of our customers, even the nuts.
Concerning the paint pealing off of the kitchen cabinet shoe molding. shoe molding takes a beating and it will sometimes chip and flake. my problem here is that Mr. ********** professes concern that his child may pick up a piece of the flaked paint and ingest it causing harm. I am concerned about it also, even tho lead paint was outlawed in the 70s. it still cant be good for a child. This seems to be Mr. ********** main concern. Let me say this about that. We have not heard a word from him in over 5 months, not a word. He has my personal phone number, he has called it. If that was truly a real concern wouldn't anyone call that number and keep calling it until action was taken. if it were me and I had a real concern about such a thing, I myself would get a paint brush and paint over it to protect my child. I will however check this today when I go to meet him at the house and if need be will paint it myself.
Concerning Mr. **********'s claim of false advertising. There is where Mr. ********** crossed the line with me. Every home built by NSHB in the last two years have been Earth Cents rated by Georgia Power. His claim is a lie, pure and simple. Georgia Power does not normally send out a certificate unless asked for. He said he asked me for it but I cannot remember having that conversation with him. I have since contacted the rater and will provide Mr. ********** with a copy. That is why I have contacted my lawyer and if does not remove any reference to false advertising and apologize on this site, he will be contacted by my attorney.

In closing, let me say, we will continue to work with Mr. ********** to remedy any lingering problems the we can. It also should be noted that none of the problems that Mr. ********** has are covered under Georgia code for new home warranty. That's ok. we always go above and beyond the code requirements.
**** ******
North Star Home Builders LLC

05/01/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Northstar Homes has failed to correct faulty installation of flooring in our home despite numerous calls and visits.
We purchased our home from Northstar Homes on 12/12/12. We immediately noticed that in our half bathroom the wooden floors had gaps between many of the joints. We contacted Mr. ****** and his employee *****, and they sent the gentleman who installed the floor, ******, to look at it. His answer was to fill the gaps with putty and put stain on the putty. We did this and the gaps continue to widen which means we have to putty the gaps again. After spending over $260,000 on a home, we shouldn't have to continually fill gaps in our floors. We contacted the company that sold the flooring and the manager and a representative of the flooring manufacturer came out and said the installation was faulty. Despite numerous calls to Mr. ****** and *****, there have been no actions to correct this issue.

The manufacturer and distributor of the flooring both said that the floor would need to be pulled up and put down properly. I don't want my entire floor redone, just the area that is splitting (about 50 square feet if that). The distributor said he still has the floor available.

Home Builders, Home Design & Planning, Home Improvements - Additions, Home Improvements, Contractor - Home Performance, Contractors - General, Building Contractors