In Central Florida

BBB Accredited Business since 03/12/2013

Barfield Contracting & Associates, Inc.

05/22/2014Delivery Issues | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Late delivery of services

Complaint: I contracted Barfield Contracting in November 2013 to do a roof and redo the back patio. It's now Mar 20th 2014 and the job is half way done.
On November 13th, I contracted Barfield Contracting to redo a roob and back patio at 1285 Wilson st, Melbourne, FL 32935. Later that month, I contacted the owner to see how much had been done and I was told it had not started yet. Mid December I contacted them again, the job had not started but the owner told me he was going to look after the job personally. In January, the job had not started yet due to drawings not bring approved yet. At the end of February, I am told the job is starting the following week and that it should take 10 days to complete. On February 6th, the owner tells me he is going to spend his entire week-end there to get the job done. On February 11th, the owner tells me that he is going to make this right for me and that he will be done with the job by the end of the following week. On February 25th, he tells me they are almost done and the job will be completed by the end of the week. On March 5th, the owner tells me I can get the rest of the work inside the house done (painting, etc...) saying that the job will be done before they finish. Only problem is that the drywall was never done and it makes it hard to paint it. Here we are March 20th and drywall is still not done.

We are working diligently to complete this project. Mrs. ***** doe snot understand that there are certain situations that are beyond our control. We have been working everyday on this project top complete since the permit was obtained. The City of Melbourne ( which is where the project is located) Continues to require additional items and engineered drawings that should be a change order to Mrs. *****. Our contract does NOT stipulate any start or completion date because we are aware that we are at the mercy of the building department on such project. The roofing portion has been done for several months now. We provide ESTIMATES to our clients and the reason they are called ESTIMATES is because we have no idea what we are getting into untiol we start the project and determine what the city is going to require of us. This is not as easy as changing a light bulb. This is a MAJOR addition that was removed from the building and a new one "up to current code) built. My company has absorbed ALL the extras as far as additional engineering drawings and material without a change order to try and please Mrs. *****. We have already lost thousands of $$ on this project and feel its not fair to take off additional $1000 per month when the rent in these neighborhoods I guarantee is not $1000.00. at the very best would be $600. If this is what is takes to keep ***** happy I will do so but feel its very unreasonable considering all the extras we have already absorbed. Again, Estimates are provided because there are always change's for unforeseen circumstances beyond our control and impossible to see without "digging in" to the project. For the record, I have many emails offering Money off the project to try to keep her happy and to keep from having a complaint against my license. I cannot guarantee the work will be done by March 28th simply because it is out of my hands as to when the city will sign off on the project. there is PLENTY for Cambes contractor to do at this property as the property is in shambles. Plenty of exterior work to prep prior to painting and interior prep work as well. For that matter I would be happy to paint the portion that we built if that helps move things along. Please keep in mind our contract does NOT specify a completion date and at no time were we ever given or agreed to a deadline to meet.

Initial Consumer Rebuttal
The job is still not done though I have been given a possible finish date of Monday, the 31st of March 2014. None of the inside work could be done until the addition was completed and drywall was in. The company has contacted me asking me to remove the complaint but did not provide me with a settlement price. I offered one but did not get a response.

The issue has been resolved with ******** Contracting and dispute can be closed. Thank you. ***** *****

Roofing Contractors, Contractor - Flat Roof, Contractor - Tile Roofing, Contractor - Metal Roofing, Commercial Roofing