AAA

76 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 38 closed in last 12 months

04/25/2016Guarantee / Warranty Issues | Read Complaint Details

AAA did not comply with the 36 month free replacement warranty contract while still under the 36 month timeline.
In june of 2013 I stranded and had a friend use his AAA service to assist my vehicle. It turns out it was the battery that was dead. I was able to purchase a new one from AAA because the offer was too good to pass by and it was late at night no other place to get a new battery. They gave me a new battery for $130.00 and it was for 72 month as it states in the contract. 3 years 36 month free replacement warranty. All was well until Sept 2014. I had to call AAA and check my battery because it went bad. They came they replaced it and said as per attached copy of contract that I had free replacement and had 21 months left of warranty. During that time a call had to be place 3 times to AAA regarding battery issues. Two times were in a roll, they tested the battery and said it was good, that it could of been the alternator or starter. I took it to check with my mechanic, he did change the starter, but he told me and tested the alternator and said it was good, but if I keep having problems that it would be the battery. I didn't have any problems until recently again. March 31, 2016 AAA had to be called out, because a week earlier I was having problem with starting the car like it wanted to shut down on me and it finally did while at work. AAA came and did all the test necessary, insisted it was not the battery, that I would need to take the battery to an auto part store and have them charge it fully and that it would be okay. I spoke to the supervisor Richard on the phone (copy of card attached) he said as long as their testing machine says the battery is good, that they cannot replace it. Conveniently when I have about 2 month left on the warranty. I took the car next day to an auto part store. They charged the battery complete. Retested the battery and it failed. It needed to be replaced. I had to purchase a new battery from the auto part store and was very upset. I started to find reviews of AAA batteries and it turns out that I was not the only one having those issues and that its a scam how they rig their testing machines to make it seem the batteries are good when they were not. This had cost me to purchase a new battery for $95.00, when I really should of had it been replaced free under the warranty.

I don't have the AAA battery anymore, because I had to leave it with the Auto part store when purchasing the new one. I would like the full cost of the purchase of the battery.

The AAA club has reached out to Ms. **** to offer assistance with her concern. If further assistance is needed please contact the AAA club at ************ and reference CTS# ******

I did receive a refund check in the mail today April 22, 2016. Thank you.

03/03/2016Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Unethical business practices have cost me more than $700 in repair fees, endangerment of family and four car tows.
I called AAA for a car tow after brakes locked and asked for car to be delivered to *************. The AAA driver lobbied me heavily to instead have the car towed to *******************************, which he said specialized in Subarus. I later found out that the towing company was owned by ********'s, which was not disclosed by the driver. The driver also said the repairs were guaranteed for a year. To make a long story short, ********'s charged almost $700 for repairs. The same problem resurfaced and the car was towed again. This time ********'s charged about $150 for repairs. The same problem resurfaced, this time almost stranding my wife in the middle of a dangerous intersection. The car was towed. This time, after I expressed significant anger at the situation, the car was "fixed'' again, this time at no cost. The problem recently recurred a fourth time and I had the car towed to the Subaru dealer, which correctly identified the problem as the "hill holder'' mechanism. This will cost me another $600 or so. *** ********, the owner of ******** ****, blamed the fourth failure on a "used spring'' he installed during the fourth repair because he said he didn't have a new one. He also said he was not familiar with the "hill holder'' mechanism, which applies the brake when the clutch is engaged on a hill. I have called AAA two or three times regarding this matter and each time was told a representative would call me. Nobody has called me. I have the receipts for the ******** work. It would appear AAA towing contractors are directing business to their own repair services, using the good name of AAA and a "guarantee' that AAA does not honor and the shop does not honor. ******** has refused to refund any of the money I have paid it, saying it would wait to see what AAA says. AAA has done nothing. In addition to the money this has cost us, we have spent endless hours waiting for tow trucks, dealing with repair services, being without the car, and going back and forth to the repair shop. The AAA driver misled me about the expertise ******** had with Subarus given that they didn't even know about what is a standard feature on Subarus with manual transmissions.

At a minimum, I would expect the money I have paid ******** refunded and an apology from AAA. I also would expect AAA tow truck driver to explain their business relationships with the repair facilities they are recommending, and for AAA to honor what was portrayed to me as a AAA guarantee.

Thank you for contact AAA regarding your concerns. AAA is a federation of independent club affiliates, each responsible for the provision of member service within its geographic region. We have forwarded your concern to management at Auto Club Group - Southern Region. You may expect to hear from the club within the next several business days. The AAA clubs contact information is listed below.

AAA Auto Club Group
1515 Westshore Blvd.
Tampa, FL 33607
866-514-8273

From: **********************************************
Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2016 12:09 PM
To: Better Business Bureau
Subject: Re: BBB Complaint Case# *****************************************

AAA did respond and resolved the situation.

03/02/2016Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

A service call was made to AAA and no tow truck ever arrived.
My son ****** who is an associate member under my account called from the ************ train station that his car had broken down and did not start.

The service person took his information and gave him an initial time frame. When that time frame came he received a call to push the time off about an hour. When that time frame came he received another call to push the time again. The last time frame given was approx. 9:01 PM

At 9:45 PM, my son, in sub-freezing temperatures stuck in a train station parking lot by himself, had to abandon the car due to no AAA service arriving and the dangers of freezing and being by himself.

He was able to get home, however, he was forced to leave the car in what had then became a no parking location after x hour. Had a truck come for him for towing, he would not have to have left his car where the possibility is that he can now get a ticket or the car could be towed by the city to an impound lot.

He was left stranded by AAA not showing up and not making a final call to him and just leaving him out there to freeze with no heat in a car that wont start, in the late hours of the evening at an outdoor train station.

AAA needs to show up when they say they will and provide the service that we paid for.

Should my son's car be ticketed or towed or both, or broken into or any other unknown as of yet expense, AAA should pay for those expenses.

Should no expenses arise from this occurrence, AAA should provide us with a free year of service else they learn nothing on how to care for those stranded and how to treat people.

You cant just leave someone stranded in the cold night and not expect something bad to happen; hire more trucks, send a car to keep someone warm and safe, do something, have a backup plan in place so this doesn't happen.

Thank you for your comments regarding your son's recent road service experience. AAA is a federation of independent club affiliates, each responsible for the provision of member service within its geographic region. Management at your AAA club, AAA Carolinas, has researched your concern and cannot find a service request to match the concern posted. The AAA club request that you contact them directly at their corporate headquarters. Please call ************ and a representative will assist you with your concern.

You seem to not want to take responsibility and the controlling entity of the organization, now asking me to do the leg work.

Its not my responsibility to know or understand how the AAA organization works. It just up to me to call when I need service and service wasn't rendered.

ITS UP TO YOU TO PROVIDE THAT SERVICE AND TO HANDLE THESE ISSUES FOR ME, THAT'S WHAT I PAY FOR.
YOU CANT PUT THE RESPONSIBILITY ON ME TO NOW HAVE TO CHASE DOWN A SUBSET OF YOUR ORGANIZATION. I DON'T NEED A LESSON ON HOW YOU OPERATE.

The train station was in New Rochelle, NY.

The phone number on the card was called and the ticket was transferred to a NY club, YOU SHOULD BE TAKING THIS UP WITH THEM, NOT ME.

This is not********* account. He is a sub-account of my account. I pay for this account and I'm the one with the complaint because you are charging ME for services you have no control over. In this instance, even though ****** called for service (originally I called for service and was told that he needs to call for service,) he called under my account. Since I am the one registering the complaint, you can answer the complaint. You will have no valid reason for contacting him. You are charging me money, not him, and then not covering my sub-accounts with service ...and now trying to say that the person who pays the fee has no say in the matter.

A representative from the members local AAA club has addressed his concerns. Thank you for contacting AAA.

02/24/2016Guarantee / Warranty Issues | Read Complaint Details

Car Battery Died. Called AAA 1/9/2016. ************* could not get car started. would have to the car did not check battery nor replace
When the driver from ****** came to my house on 1/9/16 at approx. 3:00 pm said my battery had only 5 volts. It was under warranty and he advised I have it towed. I towed it to *************** where left overnight battery was charged and showed defective. AAA sent a tow truck driver (not mechanic) who disputed the computer check etc. and said my battery was good and would not honor replacement warranty. AAA should have changed out the battery on 1/9 and not make me wait until 1/10/16 at a cost of $100 to check the car on Toyotas system. Then AAA told me warranty would not be honored.

Kristian called from AAA when tow truck driver as at dealership and told me my warranty was void as Toyota had removed it to check and recharge. BUT NO ONE FROM AA EVER CHECKED OR EVEN CHARGED THE BATTERY. They said they would overlook that issue. BIG DEAL. they still are not honoring the warranty.

**** from *************** said tow truck driver was rude and confrontational. **** asked, "Do you talk to your customers like this?" referring to his very hostile and rude attitude.

AAA to replace cost of new battery and explanation in writing of battery test on 1/9 and 1/10 as none was ever given. They told me to take is somewhere to run a system check cost me $100 to find Toyota finds battery was bad. Want a credit from AAA and also for battery balance warrantyy

A representative from Mr. ********* AAA club has resolved his concerns. If further assistance is needed, please contact AAA Auto Club Group at**************

AAA allowed me to purchase a new battery from Toyota and send me a check for reimbursement.
Very satisfied with resolution.
*******************

01/06/2016Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

AAA wants me to lie in order to keep my car insurance.
I received an AAA letter from AAA's representative, Lola D******** informing me that I have to exclude people from my insurance. It stated that that one person is listed as an associate on my membership, the other has a membership with my address and lastly, my son is listed on my membership but not on my insurance policy. These issues have never come up in all the years I have had AAA. I do not understand why now. I called Lola and tried to explain my unique situation. She in essence told me that my situation did not matter, rules are rules and I could go get insurance elsewhere.

So here are the problems: My son is on my Roadside Assistance membership but does not live with me. He is in the Army and does not currently have a physical address so he uses mine. As Lola explained to me, he can stay on my Roadside Assistance membership with my address but then I would have to exclude him from my insurance. I told her I did not want to exclude my son because if he came home on leave I want him to be able to drive my car. After discussing my options, I can pay for another membership for my son at a different address (even though he doesn't currently have one) then he would not be listed as living at my house (even though he does not live at my house). My understanding is then I would not have to exclude him from my insurance. My son is serving our county and defending our freedom . He is using my address for mail and AAA system can't handle this type of information. They want me to exclude him from my policy because they think he lives here or give them a fake address for his Roadside assistance. Both options are lies.

AAA must have a new system of some sort because here is the next problem. The other people listed at my address do not live with me. They are my neighbors. We share the same piece of property by not the same house. The letter states that ******* is listed as an "associate" on my membership. This is not possible; I have never listed her on my membership. It goes on to state that **** has a membership with my address. I do not know what insurance they have. But I do know that we have been neighbors for years and this has never come up. I asked Lola what new system or where did she get her information from and she refused to answer me. Whatever it is their system is wrong!!! Now I have to exclude my neighbors from my insurance even though they do not live with me?! But if there were some kind of accident or disaster and they needed to use my car, they cannot. However, any other person could drive my car but not my neighbors because AAA system is wrong. They do not live with me so I should not have to exclude them from my policy.

I know my situation does not mean much to AAA. Lola has informed me that if I do not complete the paperwork my policy will be canceled. However, by signing AAA's paperwork I would be dishonest. It is a very sad state of affairs when a corporation insists a person lie to keep their services.

I want to be able to keep my insurance without lying.

This past week I received a letter from AAA. After reviewing my situation, they stated I do not have to exclude my son or my neighbors from my insurance policy. This means I don't have to lie to keep my insurance. In regards to their representative, Lola who told me to lie or get insurance elsewhere, AAA apologized but also defended her for following their rules. I am happy with the outcome but I should have never been asked to lie in the first place.

05/12/2016Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I was left stranded for over an hour because the Customer Service Rep that took my call, cancelled the tow truck right after she entered the request.
Had a flat on 2/27. Called AAA for help at around 12 PM. Was told that the wrecker services would be there in less than 1 hour. Called back at 1 PM and was told that the original call was cancelled. No one could tell me why ( or wanted to tell me why). Was put on a long hold and was told they were re-ordering the service.

Talked to Amanda at the Wrecker company and she told me that the original call was immediately cancelled after she received it.

It is obvious that your CSR messed up the original order and because of her incompetence, I was forced to sit around for about 2 hours.

Having a car broken down is stress enough. Now I have worry about whether your people can do their jobs correctly?? Lesson Learned. Next time I will place a second call immediately to verify that the CSR entered the information correctly.

This is the 2nd time in as many calls that AAA has let me down.

I have a bill due coming up. My renewal is in April. The very least you can do is renew my membership on your dime..

AAA Auto Club Group
********************
Tampa, FL 33607
************

I has been 10 days and I have not heard back from the AAA office.

The AAA club has followed up with the customer in writing. If further assistance is needed, please call ************ and a representative will assist.

I did not ask for a form letter. I do not want a form letter. I need someone higher up from that organization to call me.

02/25/2016Guarantee / Warranty Issues | Read Complaint Details

failure to honor warranty or even call me back on escalated issue 11/11/15
have called and escalated this issue 5 times now with no call back and no resolution, unacceptable!

Issue 1. all calls from 11/11- 11/13 should be rolled up into 1 call as it took 5 different service techs and still they did not fix my battery issue, 4 of them just popped the hood, my battery is located in the trunk!

2. failure to honor battery warranty they could find proof of purchase of battery but claim it is not their battery, I guess the tech I paid for the battery then did switch a roo because the battery in my car is the battery i paid aaa to install. the first person said the battery failed the test and is in critical condition, second said mild risk, third person said critical fourth person said its fine. all conflicting info and if its fine why wouldn't it start - this is ridiculous it is under warranty replace it!

3. I have called them multiple times over the past month and every time am told someone will call me back to resolve and nobody ever does, I am beyond tired of the run around and jumping through hoops!

last year they crashed my car into a wall dropping it from the tow truck, I pay for this service - why is it so terrible??????? I am beyond irate!

Put my service calls at 1 for the year so far
at no additional charge and no additional service calls send someone to finally come replace the battery that is under warranty

The AAA club has attempted to contact the customer but has been unable to make contact. If the customer wishes to have their concern addressed, please have the customer contact Dora F******** at **************

You have not attempted to contact me my number is ********** when did you call I have no missed calls and no voicemails from you. What is your proposed resolution??? Feel free to state what you plan to do to address my concerns considering this was in November! Your reply does not address any concerns and it provides false information!

AAA is a federation of independent club affiliates, each responsible for the provision of member service within its geographic region. Please contact your local AAA club, Automobile Club of Southern California, if further assistance is needed. Thank you.

Automobile Club of Southern California
*****************
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

07/08/2016Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Denied service
I was in an accident with my daughter who had to be rushed to hospital by ambulance. The car could not be driven home. State Trooper suggested me and the other party it would be cheaper to tow ourselves. I did that, and rushed to the hospital to be with daughter. Now I need car towed to be fixed and Im Told I have to pay for it. The accident is the only time I've used towing this year and I'm a Premier Customer. I spoke with a rude and very unprofessional female. I asked 3 times for a supervisor and was placed on hold over 5 minutes.

The female who was rude and VERY unprofessional, repeat customer training. The entire company needs customer services training. I've paid for a service I'm denied to use!

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent difficulty receiving roadside services. AAA strives to provide the highest quality service to our members and we regret when that goal is not achieved.

Briefly, AAA is a federation of independent club affiliates, each responsible for the provision of member service within its geographic region. We have forwarded your complaint to management at AAA Carolinas. You may wish to follow-up with their headquarters as well listed below. Thank you.

AAA Carolinas
6600 AAA Dr.
Charlotte, NC 28212

06/21/2016Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

When having my vehicle towed it was damaged. I'm being told it was already like that and it's my word against AAA.
I bought a car that needs a new computer and two fenders. When AAA towed my car they said they had to take the bumper off. When they took the bumper off they damaged it. They're saying it was like that and the field worker even insulted me saying I'm just tying to get paid.

I want the bumper fixed and paid for by AAA

Thank you for contacting the AAA National Office. AAA is a federation of independent club affiliates, each responsible for the provision of member service within its geographic region. We forwarded your complaint to management at AAA Northern New England. Management has advised us that the damage to the vehicle was pre-existing and was not caused by the tow. You may want to open a claim with your insurance company at this point.

06/16/2016Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

AAA is failing to pay their portion of the rental car we were placed in due to their driver hitting our car making it non-drivable.
AAA's adjuster deemed our car not drivable due to the door not opening. We decided to take the car to our repair shop because all the AAA certified car shops are hole in the wall shops. Our body shop could not start repairs until a week after we dropped it off (start repairs on 4/6/16), which we told AAA before dropping it off. Because we needed the vehicle, AAA agreed to put us in a rental once we dropped the car off since it was deem not drivable by THEIR adjuster. Not once did they say we would have to pay for it. Once we get our car back, 30 days exactly after we dropped it off (body shop took a week longer due to rework which they will gladly cover the rental fees for that time), we noticed a charge from ***** which amounted to half the total fees ($713.50). AAA told us they only covered 15 days since the adjuster put down that is the amount of time it should take to fix the car. If you recall, the body shop couldn't start until 4/6/16 and AAA knew this but reluctantly agreed to put us in a rental because the adjuster marked the car not drivable.
Our contact at AAA is Derrick and his boss is Gi K**. Gi's boss Chris M****** did not return our calls. We've emailed Margaret P******** for additional assistance...still waiting.

Pay for the rental up until 4/20, since 15 days after 4/6 is 4/20. This would amount to 24 days of rental car and not the 15 days they paid for.
I will follow up with the body shop to cover the rest.

AAA is a federation of independent club affiliates, each responsible for the provision of insurance services within its geographic region. The AAA club addressed the *****'s concern and they considered the matter addressed. If further assistance is needed, please contact AAA Auto Club Group at *************

The matter is not resolved, at all. We still owe the body shop ~$350 that is partial payment that AAA needs to step up and pay ($350 is about half of the $713 that was billed to me). Everyone at AAA says its resolved but it's not.

Insurance management at the AAA club has closed the claim as resolved. Any further questions will need to be directed to the claims agent that handled the *****s concern. As stated before, the AAA National office does not handle insurance claims.

06/16/2016Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

AAA sent out a towing company that damaged my car.
I locked my keys out of my car and called AAA to have them unlock it. They sent out a driver from *********************** who arrived 30-45 minutes later. When he arrived, he searched in his back seat and muttered something about how the truck usually has it (the tool) in the back seat. He used a wood block and a metal tool to try and pry the driver-side door open. After 15 or 20 minutes, I went to check on his progress. As he was trying to pry it open, I asked him to stop. And he agreed that it wasn't possible for him to get into my car (probably because he wasn't properly equipped). My main concern is that this driver heavily scratched the inside of my door and slightly bent it. I got two separate estimates from local auto shops and it turns out that it's going to cost me quite a bit. I paid AAA to have a reputable service open my car and that service was not fulfilled the first time around. AAA sent out a second company, who opened my car from the passenger side. My desired resolution is for either AAA or their sub-contractor they hired, ************************ to pay for the damages.

My desired resolution is for AAA or************************ pay for the damages in full.

The AAA club has resolved Mr. *******'s concern. If further assistance is needed, please contact AAA Auto Club Group at ************.

My concerns weren't completely resolved. The reason my concerns weren't completely resolved is because AAA didn't pay or hold the company they hired responsible for the damage caused to my vehicle. While AAA didn't cause the damage, I feel like they should hold the company they hired responsible for the damage they caused. They paid for half of the damages. That's like getting half the job done. If that's how AAA does business, there's nothing else I can really do.

The AAA club considers the matter closed. Mr. ******* was advised of the denial. The member may now want to pursue with his insurance company.

06/13/2016Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Company states that two separate accounts being used on the same vehicle is not allowed and we were charged for towing and hook up.
Manager Raul states that we would essential have to call tomorrow with a different story to have the. At towed and not be charged. Even though we are using 2 completely separate accounts and are both AAA members.

Full refund of member costs for myself and other AAA member involved. This refund includes the tow and I refuse to have to pay for another year of their service.

Thank you for contacting AAA. AAA is a federation of independent club affiliates, each responsible for the provision of member service within its geographic region. The AAA National will forward your concern onto to management at AAA Northeast but in order to do so we will need your membership number.

Road Service - Automotive, Online Travel Agency